Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:04 pm 

I have a linn lp 12 that i purchased in the late 1980's. I recently have found the sound less engaging. I noticed that the distance from the needle to the surface of the record with the arm up is lower towards the inner part of the record. I had bought a new cartridge (not from a linn dealer) and he had installed the cartridge as part of the price of the cartridge. This was about a year and a half ago or more. I did not notice this problem until about 6 months ago. I guess its time to bring it to a linn dealer to have the table re-setup. I had my table upgraded by Gary in St. Catherines and know he does a great job. Is there anyone in toronto with similar expertise? Second question , has anyone have or heard the linn kore? It might be worth while to upgrade since I had asked Gary about the kore and he said the installation was part of the price. I assume he would have to re-set up the lp12 with the upgrade and I would save the money for just paying for retunning the lp12.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:39 am 

I strongly recommend you contact CL Consulting, a CAM dealer. He has done a great job on my LP 12 and is extremely knowledgable about all aspects of this table. He can upgrade it or service it. Located in Markham Ontario.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:54 am 

Just go back to Gary. Why take the chance on an amateur, just to save the drive.
His price is very fair, and you won't find a better person to service a Linn Sondek.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:58 am 

Quadzilla wrote:
Just go back to Gary. Why take the chance on an amateur, just to save the drive.
His price is very fair, and you won't find a better person to service a Linn Sondek.

Very sound advice. No pun intended.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:05 am 

I have no experience with Gary, and nothing against him at all.....his reputation is excellent......however, I can say from considerable experience that the gentleman at CL Consulting knows what he is doing when it comes to anything related to LP 12, and the OP was asking for someone in the GTA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:57 am 

Gary is the only turntable guru I would trust. He knows more about Linn than anyone else I know, and he extends that knowledge to other brands like Thorens (lucky me).

So, there isn't any option if you want the best job done. Go to Better Music and Gary will look after you properly. That, and he is one hell of a nice guy too.

-Chris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:26 pm 

Just to close out this thread. I decided to bring the tt back to Gary. Despite the drive, it was worth it in the end. I had him install the kore upgrade as well. Everything works properly and sounds better that it has before.