Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:31 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

I'll try and remember to check it out at the dollar stores. I go by one every day, at least twice.

The next thing is the various fake furs and velvets at the given larger fabric shops. Took me a few minutes to figure out what to buy, or look at, when I stepped into the fabric shop. They might have 10-20 different choices and can be bought at 0.1m cut sizes. I just bought one such test strip, for $5.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:54 pm 

Velvet is a popular choice. I think it too soft to do much more than polish the tough stuff. Still, that maybe all one needs. For every job there's the proper tool.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:37 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

ripblade wrote:
Velvet is a popular choice. I think it too soft to do much more than polish the tough stuff. Still, that maybe all one needs. For every job there's the proper tool.

It's hard to beat the original discwasher or the old audio-technica brushes, when they are used as the (wet) brush for a RCM such as this.

The reason I say hard to beat, as they are generally quite inexpensive..as any person who just bought a RCM...probably has one or both of these brushes and can switch to using it with the RCM wet wash part of the cleaning routine.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:43 pm 

Teo Audio wrote:
It's hard to beat the original discwasher or the old audio-technica brushes, when they are used as the (wet) brush for a RCM such as this.

Except these brushes were never intended for wet cleaning....I doubt they'd last long if used that way. The Fantastic Brush wasn't either, but since it was designed for much tougher work than simply dusting records, it does stand up well for wet cleaning. The bristles are stiffer than the Discwasher and AT brushes, but they do seem to soften when wet.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00EXF7XB ... ref=plSrch

I see the fabric alone is available in mit form for grooming pets. This might be a better value proposition if one we're interested in applying the fabric to a DIY brush handle.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:19 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

The red fibered lint brush from the dollar store has fibers that are approximately 20 percent smaller in diameter than the corner painting fiber brush from the given hardware store (the one that I listed).

At $1.50 and then steal the material off it, this is probably the better super cheap brush of the given 'moment'. Scabies and germs, we have a whiner. I mean ladies and gents, we have a winner. at least so far.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:26 pm 

Teo Audio wrote:
The red fibered lint brush from the dollar store has fibers that are approximately 20 percent smaller in diameter than the corner painting fiber brush

Good to know.

What do the tips look like?