Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:36 am 

Too bad you're in Scarborough, (well that goes without saying...) ;)

If you were closer I'd let you try my RP6 glass platter to compare (I'm now using an acrylic).
Hopefully your dealer will deal with it quickly and efficiently.

My bet is on something sub platter or bearing related. The laminated glass is pretty well made and probably has some of the tightest tolerances of the whole table.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:06 pm 

kimmiy1 wrote:
Take it back to your dealer
They will install a new bearing and inner spindle, the job should take
about 15 mins and this will solve the wobble.
I'm surprised the dealer didn't check it before he/she sold it.
Even if you bought it used, so long as you have a bill it should be covered by warranty.

I went to the dealer today.
The end result is they are going to replace the bearing and spindle.
they had another rp6 set up (and a third, not set up) we changed sub platters and platters and finally got a combo that was pretty close to true. At that point the it was suggested pretty good, and improved over the original wobble problem was good enough. As in a small wobble was OK.
I didn't agree, so now they are going to order the bearing, change it out and see what happens.
There are a couple of things that crossed my mind. Am I being too picky? maybe all tables have a wobble.
The dealer told me this is the first time they have seen this problem ( I wish I had $10 every time I have been told that) and yet they had 2-rp6's (mine and theirs) that had wobble issues (they only raided parts from the 3rd.)
No matter how nice the dealers are, and can be, in the end, they just want you to buy their stuff.
I hope I get it worked out.
I will keep you posted.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:51 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

analogluvr wrote:
I never understood the logic behind glass platters....
Wouldn't it ring like a mother??

They do ring a bit, for sure. The upside is that they are generally pretty darned 'true'.

Not all glass is the same, however.

Last edited by Teo Audio on Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:52 pm 

Hi Paul..
You've really got a bit of a dilemma going with this wobble of yours.
I don't really think all tables have a wobble at least i don't believe my Systemdek iii does.
It has an upgraded bearing and a very good spindle and subplatter. My platter weighs over 20 pounds by itself.

That said Im not sure if i could say yes to the dealer if i spent good money like you did and had a functionality issue. Cosmetics is one thing but on your table a wobble must throw off the sound of the lp i would hazard to guess.
In any event at least you got the dealer to take notice and act.
That's half the battle. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:52 pm 

scarbpaul12 wrote:
. Am I being too picky? maybe all tables have a wobble.

No, you are absolutely not being 'too picky'. There should be zero wobble period. What, $1500 table, three upgrades from the base? No.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:10 pm 

Che Cavolo wrote:
scarbpaul12 wrote:
. Am I being too picky? maybe all tables have a wobble.

No, you are absolutely not being 'too picky'. There should be zero wobble period. What, $1500 table, three upgrades from the base? No.

I've had a RP-6 for two years and the platter runs dead true so No, your not being too picky. They should all run dead true.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:36 pm 

scarbpaul12 wrote:
kimmiy1 wrote:
Even if you bought it used, so long as you have a bill it should be covered by warranty.

they had another rp6 set up (and a third, not set up) we changed sub platters and platters and finally got a combo that was pretty close to true. At that point the it was suggested pretty good, and improved over the original wobble problem was good enough. As in a small wobble was OK.
I didn't agree, so now they are going to order the bearing, change it out and see what happens.
There are a couple of things that crossed my mind. Am I being too picky? maybe all tables have a wobble.
The dealer told me this is the first time they have seen this problem ( I wish I had $10 every time I have been told that) and yet they had 2-rp6's (mine and theirs) that had wobble issues (they only raided parts from the 3rd.)
No matter how nice the dealers are, and can be, in the end, they just want you to buy their stuff.
I will keep you posted.

Hmmm...
Your table and another at the store that were set up by them, both suffering from the same defect? I would suspect the set up person(s).
If you bought the table new from them, I would ask for a replacement, in a sealed box, one that they don't get the chance to touch. Take it home, take your time if unfamiliar with a set up of a new table, and do it right. Tables these days are not very difficult to set up. Directions are usually vey straight forward and idiot proof. Help is usually just a phone call away.
It seems as if these guys you bought it from could gain value from this advice as well. :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:54 pm 

tonearmcobra wrote:
If you bought the table new from them, I would ask for a replacement, in a sealed box, one that they don't get the chance to touch.

Not sure how that would help. It sounds like a manufacturing defect to me. Assembling it himself would ensure little recourse through warranty if the replacement is no better.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:09 pm 

tonearmcobra wrote:
scarbpaul12 wrote:
kimmiy1 wrote:

I will keep you posted.

Hmmm...
Your table and another at the store that were set up by them, both suffering from the same defect? I would suspect the set up person(s).
If you bought the table new from them, I would ask for a replacement, in a sealed box, one that they don't get the chance to touch. Take it home, take your time if unfamiliar with a set up of a new table, and do it right. Tables these days are not very difficult to set up. Directions are usually vey straight forward and idiot proof. Help is usually just a phone call away.
It seems as if these guys you bought it from could gain value from this advice as well. :shock:

Hi tonearmcobra,

The thing is, there is no real set up with the rega rp6
The sub platter is already in the plinth when it comes out of the box and you just place the platter on the sub platter, done.
I think it was Dupont who sent a link from another forum that was all about the rega wobble. I had another cammer pm me with quite abit of info regarding this issue as well.
It is a QC issue. Rega needs to pull up their socks.
I want it fixed and I want it perfect. It's not an entry level turntable and alot of people love them for a reason.
While it was disappointing the dealer tried to shrug off the slight wobble, Rega has put dealers in a tough spot.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:11 pm 

ripblade wrote:
tonearmcobra wrote:
If you bought the table new from them, I would ask for a replacement, in a sealed box, one that they don't get the chance to touch.

Not sure how that would help. It sounds like a manufacturing defect to me. Assembling it himself would ensure little recourse through warranty if the replacement is no better.

I know what you're saying Glenn.
I didn't want to dump all over Rega. At least if the OP has the chance to set it up himself, and does it correctly, he can rule out set up errors and come to his own conclusions on his decision of a spinner.
But I think he may already be there.
Good luck scarb.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:46 pm 

tonearmcobra wrote:
I know what you're saying Glenn.
I didn't want to dump all over Rega.

Don, pointing out a defect is not dumping, but the Rega fanboys who confuse Roy Gandy with the Mahatma will think so. I'm not dumping either, but I don't mind pointing it out when the emperor's fly is open...... someone has to keep the discussion grounded in reality. :wink: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:19 pm 

tonearmcobra wrote:
Hmmm...

There isn't much "setup" for stock Rega tables with a Rega cart.

I would still like to see some sort of visual, video, or what have you. As, sometimes spinning a slightly "wobbly" up and down movement disc can give the appearance that the platter is wobbly, in my opinion... These decks are supposed to be very bang on and stable. I've owned an RP-1 and RP-3 and both were bang on. Obviously, if it were something fishy I would agree that the OP is definitely not being too picky, all the same.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:30 am 

therealco wrote:
tonearmcobra wrote:
Hmmm...

There isn't much "setup" for stock Rega tables with a Rega cart.

I would still like to see some sort of visual, video, or what have you. As, sometimes spinning a slightly "wobbly" up and down movement disc can give the appearance that the platter is wobbly, in my opinion... These decks are supposed to be very bang on and stable. I've owned an RP-1 and RP-3 and both were bang on. Obviously, if it were something fishy I would agree that the OP is definitely not being too picky, all the same.

Therealco,

Go to page two of this thread. Dupont62 posted a link. If you go to page one (in the link), there is a youtube clip showing platter wobble. In the vid you can actually see the sub platter is wobbling, in my case that was tough to see, but it will give you an idea of the effect and the movement of the platter.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:41 am 

Only Youtube link I found on that What Hi*Fi thread was of this RP1 – that platter is way off! But what also gets me is how noisy the motor is. :shock:
But judging by some of the comments on that thread, the “Rega Wobble” seems to be more common than we think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIYxqI02K78

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:56 am 

I brought the tt back to the dealer, we changed out the bearing, still a slight wobble.
The turntable is being sent back to be checked out and we will wait and see what happens.
In the meantime, the dealer is going to drop another table over to my house to use in the interim.
He mentioned something about a VPI, I hope it's the scout :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next