Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:07 am 

Quadzilla wrote:
ripblade wrote:
Just going by memory here, but the single layer glass platter does ring.

You do use a lot of power tools though. :mrgreen:
Back then my ears were still pretty good. Now....not so much...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:12 pm 

banerjba wrote:
Long time Rega user here. I have owned the P1, Planar 2 and P5.

Rega can be a bit quirky and quality control in manufacturing is not in the Linn or B&W class but the products are very durable.

What you might be seeing is a manufacturing defect in the very slightly beveled edge of the platter. It is probably a bit uneven. The top (LP surface) is likely true and flat so you notice it with the LP and felt mat in place more.

Glass is hard to machine and Rega builds a lot of these. Even with great tool and die maintenance, it is hard to make sure this slight bevel is dead nuts. It does not affect sound. My P5 was the same way. I noticed it because of how perfect my Linn platters (LP12 and Axis) always were. There is a reason glass is not widely used for platters.

Have had a P-9 for many years now with nary an issue.

Insofar as glass platters and the reason why it is not often used I am certain you could teach Roy Gandy a thing or two.

We end users are all so smart. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:24 pm 

Since he has received plenty of advice, all we have to do now is wait for the OP to tell us what he found.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:42 pm 
Premium User

Quadzilla wrote:
Since he has received plenty of advice, all we have to do now is wait for the OP to tell us what he found.

Word

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:14 pm 

PBB wrote:
banerjba wrote:

Rega can be a bit quirky and quality control in manufacturing is not in the Linn or B&W class but the products are very durable.

What you might be seeing is a manufacturing defect in the very slightly beveled edge of the platter. It is probably a bit uneven. The top (LP surface) is likely true and flat so you notice it with the LP and felt mat in place more.

Glass is hard to machine and Rega builds a lot of these. Even with great tool and die maintenance, it is hard to make sure this slight bevel is dead nuts. It does not affect sound. My P5 was the same way. I noticed it because of how perfect my Linn platters (LP12 and Axis) always were. There is a reason glass is not widely used for platters.

Have had a P-9 for many years now with nary an issue.

Insofar as glass platters and the reason why it is not often used I am certain you could teach Roy Gandy a thing or two.

We end users are all so smart. :roll:

I never had a issue with my platter - it is just a cosmetic irregularity. Table worked perfectly and my guess is that most people would not notice.

P9 is a very nice table but I thought most of them had ceramic platters unless yours is a very early one.

All light metal and glass platters ring to some extent but not as much when they are actually on the table in use with a mat and record. A centre weight or clamp can help reduce ringing even more. Regas don't take most clamps but I used a light Pro-ject weight which worked just fine.

BTW, my comment about the use of glass was not me being smart but understanding that handling and machining glass with any type of quality control is not easy. Other materials are more predictable to machine and ensure quality control. Rega is one of the few companies to do it well and now only the mid grade tables still use glass. That said, for me, that glass platter is part of the Rega sound.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:38 pm 

Try resetting the sub platter. Take the sub platter out and in. Reapply oil if any lost taking it out.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:43 pm 

Is it in fact the platter? Or the subplatter? Does not the subplatter have two pieces on the RP6? Like a regular RP3 subplatter, with metal spindle atop it? Also the glass that is fused to the main platter to give the flywheel effect may have some irregularities to it? Also, the visual effect of these two pieces of glass could give the appearance of movement... Couple that with an imperfect LP atop...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:20 am 

analogluvr wrote:
banerjba wrote:

I never understood the logic behind glass platters....
Wouldn't it ring like a mother??

Yes, only a wood platter wouldn't ring. That's where the platter mat comes in to remove ring. Rega uses felt mats which I prefer the most. I have used an old Angstrom and or Platter Matter (silicon) which totally deadens a platter that would otherwise ring. Glass is massive and can be easily cut perfectly round evenly weighed with low tolerances ewith beveled edges. It works well sitting on a polycarbonate - pvc sub platter which has the metal or PVC spindle built in. My Revolver turntable uses a poly carb platter with honeycombed design on the bottom to absorb ring and resonances- using the felt pad. The belt wraps around the actual platter rather than driving the subplatter which in turn moves the platter.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:57 am 

That Revolver was a fabulous table. In hindsight, it was much better than my Regas. The sound stage was a bit smaller than the big Regas but it was more neutral and had better speed and pitch stability.

The higher level Music Hall models (5 and up) use a plinth design based on the Revolver although everything else is quite different.

My Revolver's Sumiko- based arm was not as good as the modern Pro-Ject designs but pretty good for their day. The Rega arm was vastly better.

Revolver as a company was launched in the cd era and early models had a lot of QC issues. I had to take mine back a couple of times and get new ones until I got a good one which I kept for years until I upgraded to a Linn Axis. Sadly the company barely lasted a decade and the new company with the same name has positioned their products much higher.

I still have the Pig record grip that came with the Revolver and the mat was really good too. It was felt but with some fiberglass or something in it to make it less staticy than the Rega or Linn mats. Lot of good ideas in that table for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:46 am 

Take it back to your dealer
They will install a new bearing and inner spindle, the job should take
about 15 mins and this will solve the wobble.
I'm surprised the dealer didn't check it before he/she sold it.
Even if you bought it used, so long as you have a bill it should be covered by warranty.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:29 am 

Tom_r wrote:
The glass will not distort unless you're putting it in an oven at ~580 degrees C, so as suggested you need to look further.

Really doen't matter for the problem, but glass is not just glass.
Quartz, sola-lime, borasilicate, etc. They vary in density and therefore vary in melt temperature.
Glassis usually pressed into form in a mold. If it cools unevenly, it can shift shape slightly.
This can be as controlled as you want, but not a 100% perfect process.
If as indicated by anothe poster the glass is milled somehow after, the concept is a bit mind boggling, i would say its defective, and needs the dealers attention.
If OBI is right, no doubt he is, and the platter is of laminated sheets like a car windshield, that process could provide the opportunity for uneven builds.
Side note. Back when flat screen TV was infancy, part of the price structure of 10's of thousand$ was due to the glass sheet marrages to make the screens was running 50% defective in the factory. As the waste was reduced, so was cost. The rest is history.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:42 am 
Premium User

Sasklite wrote:
Tom_r wrote:
The glass will not distort unless you're putting it in an oven at ~580 degrees C, so as suggested you need to look further.

Really doen't matter for the problem, but glass is not just glass.
Quartz, sola-lime, borasilicate, etc. They vary in density and therefore vary in melt temperature.
Glassis usually pressed into form in a mold. If it cools unevenly, it can shift shape slightly.
This can be as controlled as you want, but not a 100% perfect process.
If as indicated by anothe poster the glass is milled somehow after, the concept is a bit mind boggling, i would say its defective, and needs the dealers attention.
If OBI is right, no doubt he is, and the platter is of laminated sheets like a car windshield, that process could provide the opportunity for uneven builds.
Side note. Back when flat screen TV was infancy, part of the price structure of 10's of thousand$ was due to the glass sheet marrages to make the screens was running 50% defective in the factory. As the waste was reduced, so was cost. The rest is history.

I never said anything about laminated glass, at least not in this thread. Laminated glann as well as tempering glass are subjects all on their own.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:30 am 

kimmiy1 wrote:
Take it back to your dealer
They will install a new bearing and inner spindle, the job should take
about 15 mins and this will solve the wobble.
I'm surprised the dealer didn't check it before he/she sold it.
Even if you bought it used, so long as you have a bill it should be covered by warranty.

scarbpaul12 wrote:
I have a new (bought in January) rega rp6.
Last night I noticed there is a wobble (like playing an album that isn't perfectly flat) coming from the platter.
I removed the mat and put a level on the glass platter, it is pretty much nuts on.
There is no doubt, as the platter spins it has a wobble.
I lifted the platter out and rotated it, now I had to re-level the platter, which I did.
Still a wobble. I think the glass platter may not be true.
It's not a huge movement, it wouldn't cause the needle to jump, but it is there, noticeable.
Is this common with Regas, or all tt's?
Am I hand wringing?

...Rega/Linn/SL-1200 groupie here since the early 80s .......see stevebrock's posts on page 10.

https://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/rp ... ble?page=9

Last edited by dupont62 on Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:53 am 

Winter_vinyl wrote:
Is it audible?

Not that I can notice, unless I've been conditioned and my brain is accepting it as normal.

-- 23 Jul 2017 18:01 --

Thanks to all for the suggestions and the lively debate on glass platters.
It is really hard to tell in it's the sub platter. Because of the smaller diameter it may have a very slight wobble that is exaggerated by the larger platter.
I had a member pm me with some interesting suggestions.
I bought it from a reputable dealer dealer, so I will start there and see how it goes.
I may consider an upgrade, as was suggested, especially if the problem persists, or is a pain to get rectified.
Thanks everyone.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:51 pm 

I contacted the dealer.
It was a positive conversation and he would like me to bring the table in and he will have a look.
I asked if any other rp6 owners have had issues , of course I'm the first he has heard of...
I will update.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next