Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:34 pm 

I have an old Yamaha YP-701 turntable that I would like to get back in service. It still ran the last time I used it back in 2006 but has been stored since. I know it needs a new belt, anti-skating weight re-attached, new cartridge, balancing etc. Pretty minor stuff really but I would prefer an expert do it for me. I live just north of Nanaimo in Qualicum Beach.

Does anyone know of a good tech who can do this for me?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:12 pm 

Not sure if this will lead to anything but you might ask at Fascinating Rhythm , a record store in Nanaimo , 250 716 9997. We were in there on the weekend and there were a number of turntables around the store. They may know someone , they seem quite helpful. A very nice store with tons of music. We found a CD ," Pink Martini , Sympathique " , an early one with the track Bolero on it which was deleted on the later remastered CD. I have been looking for this for quite a while.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:22 pm 

Toad Hall wrote:
Not sure if this will lead to anything but you might ask at Fascinating Rhythm , a record store in Nanaimo , 250 716 9997. We were in there on the weekend and there were a number of turntables around the store. They may know someone , they seem quite helpful. A very nice store with tons of music. We found a CD ," Pink Martini , Sympathique " , an early one with the track Bolero on it which was deleted on the later remastered CD. I have been looking for this for quite a while.

Thanks Toad Hall. I will give them a shout.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:26 am 

Nice turntable ... pretty rare and deserving of getting back into service.

Not sure who is up in Nanaimo.

You should consider for your service list:

1. Pull center spindle, clean spindle and ball bearing (if this model has one) and bearing well and re-oil (if the shop says they will just add some oil .... walk away ... after 40 years the old oil in the bearing will be black, dirty goo).
2. Clean and re-lubricate auto-return mechanism. Ask them what they use for lubricant ... typically it should be a light plastic-compatible grease .... the hardware store white lithium grease you use on bearings really is too heavy for most turntable applications. I use Labelle products ... made for the hobby industry.
3. Clean the motor pulley (it should come back to you with the brass pulley shining like it left the factory .... think metal polish here).
4. Clean the belt path on the platter (any sign of old belt 'goo' should be reason to reject the work).
5. Cueing should be smooth and slow (silicone oil in the cueing mechanism may need replacement).
6. Speed correct - a stroboscope should be placed on the turntable and speed demonstrated to you to be correct (note this can be a hard one to accomplish with the synchronous AC motors ... and belt size is critical on this and the YP-701 uses a somewhat odd size .... FBL35.1 I believe).
7. As a minimum, the motor should be oiled and run silent. Some may actually pull the motor apart and clean and re-oil upper and lower bearings (if that is actually possible with the motor on the YP-701).
8. Clean any pots and switches with contact cleaner (I think this one just has a micro-switch to control the motor).
9. Adjust the lateral weight as per the instructions in the owner's manual.
10. Check how is the shop going to align the cartridge. Do they have alignment templates or a 'jig' or are they just setting the overhang? A template is better .... the overhang method is the 90% solution (and what level of effort you go to somewhat depends on what stylus type you are using)
11. Do you really need a new cartridge or do you just need a new stylus? What's on it now? ... it may be 10x better than what a shop can or is willing to supply. Cartridges can go bad ... but it's relatively rare and other than a complete failure of the coils they really don't wear out. A cartridge can be quickly checked with a digital multi-meter prior to spending $ on a new stylus ... if the old stylus is completely trashed.
12. Someone who cares about their work will replace the string on the counterweight with crimps on the line rather than half-assed slip-knots.
13. Polish the dust cover?

That list unfortunately can add up to hundreds of dollars of work. You could save a lot of $ by doing a good portion of it yourself / sourcing parts yourself (like belt and stylus) with the bonus of actually understanding in the end how your turntable is built and works. A fair bit of the supplies you would need you can source from around the house or are certainly usable for other purposes or for down the road ... for example, a light sewing machine oil used for center spindle and motor can be re-used for maintenance ... every owner of vintage audio should have a can of Deoxit or Nu-Trol contact cleaner on the shelf ... clean-up of bearings can be done with isopropyl alcohol .... Peek metal polish can clean up the motor pulley and can also be used to spruce up the dustcover.

Also, the concept of having a shop 'balance' your tonearm and set tracking force really isn't worth it ... I trust you wouldn't transport a turntable with the counterweight installed ... with the potential for damaging tonearm bearings, cartridge, needle, etc. Same concept I'd say applies for the lateral weight.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:24 pm 

Van_Isle wrote:
Nice turntable ... pretty rare and deserving of getting back into service.

Not sure who is up in Nanaimo.

You should consider for your service list:

1. Pull center spindle, clean spindle and ball bearing (if this model has one) and bearing well and re-oil (if the shop says they will just add some oil .... walk away ... after 40 years the old oil in the bearing will be black, dirty goo).
2. Clean and re-lubricate auto-return mechanism. Ask them what they use for lubricant ... typically it should be a light plastic-compatible grease .... the hardware store white lithium grease you use on bearings really is too heavy for most turntable applications. I use Labelle products ... made for the hobby industry.
3. Clean the motor pulley (it should come back to you with the brass pulley shining like it left the factory .... think metal polish here).
4. Clean the belt path on the platter (any sign of old belt 'goo' should be reason to reject the work).
5. Cueing should be smooth and slow (silicone oil in the cueing mechanism may need replacement).
6. Speed correct - a stroboscope should be placed on the turntable and speed demonstrated to you to be correct (note this can be a hard one to accomplish with the synchronous AC motors ... and belt size is critical on this and the YP-701 uses a somewhat odd size .... FBL35.1 I believe).
7. As a minimum, the motor should be oiled and run silent. Some may actually pull the motor apart and clean and re-oil upper and lower bearings (if that is actually possible with the motor on the YP-701).
8. Clean any pots and switches with contact cleaner (I think this one just has a micro-switch to control the motor).
9. Adjust the lateral weight as per the instructions in the owner's manual.
10. Check how is the shop going to align the cartridge. Do they have alignment templates or a 'jig' or are they just setting the overhang? A template is better .... the overhang method is the 90% solution (and what level of effort you go to somewhat depends on what stylus type you are using)
11. Do you really need a new cartridge or do you just need a new stylus? What's on it now? ... it may be 10x better than what a shop can or is willing to supply. Cartridges can go bad ... but it's relatively rare and other than a complete failure of the coils they really don't wear out. A cartridge can be quickly checked with a digital multi-meter prior to spending $ on a new stylus ... if the old stylus is completely trashed.
12. Someone who cares about their work will replace the string on the counterweight with crimps on the line rather than half-assed slip-knots.
13. Polish the dust cover?

That list unfortunately can add up to hundreds of dollars of work. You could save a lot of $ by doing a good portion of it yourself / sourcing parts yourself (like belt and stylus) with the bonus of actually understanding in the end how your turntable is built and works. A fair bit of the supplies you would need you can source from around the house or are certainly usable for other purposes or for down the road ... for example, a light sewing machine oil used for center spindle and motor can be re-used for maintenance ... every owner of vintage audio should have a can of Deoxit or Nu-Trol contact cleaner on the shelf ... clean-up of bearings can be done with isopropyl alcohol .... Peek metal polish can clean up the motor pulley and can also be used to spruce up the dustcover.

Also, the concept of having a shop 'balance' your tonearm and set tracking force really isn't worth it ... I trust you wouldn't transport a turntable with the counterweight installed ... with the potential for damaging tonearm bearings, cartridge, needle, etc. Same concept I'd say applies for the lateral weight.

Wow! What a great post - thank you for that. i appreciate the time you took to write this.

I am dropping this table off at Oceanside Electronics in Parksville tomorrow. It has been awhile since my original post as I was tending to some tragic family matters. However, I will let you know how I make out with my turntable.

Just curious, can anyone recommend a decent cartridge for this table? I was thinking a Nagaoka MP-110 or an Ortofon 2M red. They seem reasonable as far as price to performance but I have not been into vinyl for several years.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:46 pm 

You get your table back yet?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:25 pm 

Van_Isle wrote:
You get your table back yet?

I was told by the technician at Oceanside electronics that it wasn't worth repairing. He stated it was too expensive to repair the cueing lever which no longer lifted the arm. I believe it can be fixed but I do not have the time. Therefore, I purchased a new Rega Planar 3 with Elys II cartridge and am quite happy with it. The Yamaha is a project for a rainy day and a different technician.