Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Hana cartridge
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:13 pm 

daren_p wrote:
Kidkoffee wrote:
daren_p wrote:
Looks like I'll soon make the jump from MM to MC & I'm thinking the Hana SL is the route I'll be taking on my RP6. Just wondering if others have mounted a Hana cartridge on a Rega table & what size shim are you running?

Believe it was posted earlier in this thread that ideal gain would be 56db +/-2db. My phono stage has 54 & 60db options, I'm thinking 54db is probably a good place to start? Also have 470ohm loading so sounds like a good place to start.

Those settings sound like a great place to start. I would, however, recommend getting a set of Acoustic Signature shims for your RP6 if you don't already have something. They allow you to shim in increments of 0.5mm all the way up to 6.5. Set it with a 120g record, and forget it. 2mm may just be where you leave it, but you won't regret buying these shims for the future and for "peace of mind," if there is such a thing in this hobby :) OR, if you are crazy like me, look at the Pete Riggle VTAF for easy VTA adjustments and a rather dramatic improvement in overall sound. In the end, I found that I just gave myself a headache trying to make changes before the cartridge was broken in. Find a nice starting spot and just play records for about 40-50 hours, then adjust. Just my opinion. My final settings at about 75 hours so far are 55db, 1K ohms, and fairly close to parallel with the VTA most of the time. Cheers.

Thanks for the reply, I do recall you saying earlier that you were running with a 2mm shim & had read on PFM a user saying 3-4mm would be ideal, so was just wanting to see what people were generally using. I did pick up some shims that allow from 1-4.5mm adjustments, so I should be good there. I looked at some of the more expensive options but with the Planar 6 around the corner & the Planar 8 likely to follow at some point, they likely weren't going to be compatible with the new arms, so I just went with the basic shims for now as I will likely upgrade to one of these new tables when they come out. Most of my collection is 180g, so my thoughts were that's what I should probably setup for.

Yes. Was just making suggestions in case you didn't already have shims. I agree that if you are playing mainly 180g vinyl, your "sweet spot" will probably be in the 2-4mm range, but only your ears can be the judge. My P5 is only a Rega in name anymore...I've done just about every aftermarket mod possible to it because that's what I enjoy...tweaking and fidgeting. I've taken my rig to a level that I believe rivals their top of the line TT, but I also respect those who like to keep their Regas in spec and leave the fidgeting to masochists like myself :) I will say that, barring unforeseen lottery winnings, this cartridge will be with me for a very long time. I love squeezing every last tone out of "budget" gear, and I believe the Hana is a true bargain. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:15 pm 

Just as a follow up, I'm running the Hana SL & so far very impressed with this cartridge. Only have ~13hrs on it so far but its already sounding great (sounded pretty great right from new), it's a step up in all areas vs the Exact2 I was running. As a newer to vinyl guy (only been in a year & a half) my cartridge range has been limits to the Elys2, Exact2 & the Hana but I'm thinking this one should keep me happy for some time. The Exact2 wasn't a bad cartridge, call it a jack of all trades but it wasn't the most revealing cartridge. I'd also call the Hana a jack of all trades but at a much higher level. It brings out the details & air that the Exact was lacking, while also stepping up in all other area's at the same time.

What I have found interesting, as you improve both analog & digital sources they seem to merge closer & closer together (which is a good thing). For digital I'm using the Metrum Acoustics Menuet, which I have been extremely happy with. When using the Exact, area's were lacking compared to this dac but the Hana has closed that gap.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:52 am 

Hi, shopping for a Hana SL shibata low output cartridge;
Where is the best deal$$ here in Canada??
Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:42 pm 

Maybe here?

https://www.theelectronicdepot.ca/turnt ... ridge.html

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:32 pm 
Premium User

if you are familiar with the Koetsu Black Goldline and it's presentation and like it the Hanna's will not disappoint. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:11 pm 

revoxb77 wrote:
Hi, shopping for a Hana SL shibata low output cartridge;
Where is the best deal$$ here in Canada??
Thanks

I paid $750 at Audio Eden for the Hana SL in April. Have not seen it cheaper in Canada.
Still very satisfied with mine.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:04 am 

Just thought I'd bump this thread to see if anyone has had issues with their Hana cartridge?

I'm running the SH and it's developed this very serious popping/banging at random intervals. It makes listening to LPs impossible. The only remedy (and trust me I tried everything) was swapping in a new cartridge. I'm hoping I can get it replaced under warranty because aside from this it is a fantastic sounding cartridge.

Anyone else have any issues with theirs?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:34 am 

Just over 100 hours on my SL and it is wonderful...sorry to hear of your problem.... :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:13 pm 

Lucky for me the distributor is kindly replacing it for me under warranty. Let's hope the problem doesn't persist!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:47 pm 

Just a bit of a report. I met with a fellow CAM friend today and ended up with 20 new albums. Got home about 3 hours ago and am playing my way through them; Right now it is SRV Couldn't Stand the Weather. I have played some early Aretha, some Supertramp, Rush....even some early blues. What is striking is how well this cart plays everything...including used albums. I am getting close to 100 hours and WOW! has this thing opened up!! :o Sound floor is negligible, with great, clean reproduction. Earlier I would describe the sound as clinical...everything is there, but. just. "thin"......well this cart has just bloomed. Super clean bass and wonderful highs.....but the magic is in the mids..... SRV's Voodoo Child (of course a Hendrix tune) is amazing. All those riffs just rip right into you. I LOVE my P6/Origin Live 250 arm with Dynavector 10X5......but this Hana is everything the Dynavector is ....and more.....

I am a really happy guy!

My upstairs system: Hot-rodded Thorens TD-150 MK2, Origin Live 250 with cardas wiring and tonearm grounding. Project DS tube preamp, Yamaha DSP 2070 pre-out to Hot-rodded Carver 1.0T. Speakers are stacked CV U123's and topped with JBL S38's (with modified ti tweets).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:38 pm 

Glad you're digging it!

My dealer stepped in and gave me an exchange on the cart to save me time with shipping it back and forth to the distributor. Installed it a couple hours ago and started breaking in the new one. I'm very happy to say that so far I've not had a single loud pop.

No idea what could have caused the other one to do this, but I'm cautiously thankful this new one is working out. It is a really great sounding cartridge. My system is definitely the best it's ever been.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:01 pm 

I've got about 40hrs on my SL and have really enjoyed it from right out of the box and it just keeps getting better . It is a huge step above my DL103 in every way . On good vinyl it's so quiet between tracks you would think the arm has been lifted , there is just nothing even at higher levels . And it brought new life to my more worn vinyl . The balance between lows , mids and highs is great , not leaving me wishing it had a little more or less hear and there , fast , detailed but smooth . Set up was easy with just a protractor disc , the needle guard has slots for front and side views and sits flat on the disc for lining up to the grids , don't know why every one doesn't have this for us poor folk who don't have expensive set up tools . Set my VTA at dead level (with the guard off of course) and VTF at 2.1g as my house is at 68 degrees . My P308 pre only has 100-200 ohm loading options (using 200ohm) but once it is broken in I'll try swapping in my PS 5.5 which has switchable load and gain to try out 475 , 1k and 47k or my 4.6 which you can install any thing you want . But even just as it is I can see myself being quite satisfied with this cartridge for a long time . Go the extra for the shibata for sure , I think it's a great value for what you get . Some may think that an aluminum cantilever is a step down but all aluminum is not the same and I would think that Hana uses it for a reason and not just cost , plus then to use alnico for the magnets , just my thoughts .