Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:28 pm 

Quote:
So guys thanks for all the informative reply. Just to close the topic. I'd like to know how you proceed when you evaluate a phono. Is it essential for you to listen to it in your system prior to buying it ? In an audio store in Montreal, a saleman told me to never buy a phono from anyone not willing to let me hear it in my system prior to buying it. He told me the synergy for a phono is so important you have to try it at home before purchasing.

This I really agree with. I find that you first have your reference which gives you a baseline. Then you put in the piece that is being evaluated. Play the loaner piece for days if possible. What you want is to become familiar with it and how it plays your music. After you are sure you have a handle on the sound, make written notes on things you notice or standout. You should be using source material that you not only know well, but also have a fondness for. Now you have to go back to your reference and do the same thing. Then you compare your notes, and see where you are.

This make sense, but honestly, how much audio store do this ? I know of 2 in Montreal (Coup de Foudre audio and Audioville), no more. Do you know any other ? Also, there are out there a lot of small company with great product, but it is hard to audition them in your system without buying it first.

Since you are looking to spend 2k try to narrow it down to 3 or 4 pieces that seem to have what you like. This is where doing your home work pays off. Hopefully the store or companies that have these units will allow you to borrow or buy with a 30 day return policy no questions asked. This endeavor will take some time to do right. We all know that in your budget there are many nice phonostages. I would bet all sound good to great but a little different. You have to know what you can live with, and what you can't compromise on. This is why I like the Graham Slee company. You can borrow their gear and they give you time to really hear it in your system, just for the price of shipping. You know you like the Reflex maybe try the Accession? The new Cyrus phonostage looks very nice, so does the Ray Samuel's stuff. Another to think about is Manley Chinook. I just don't know if you can borrow these for a week or 2 to hear in your system. A lot of people have made some great recommendations . The trick is to take your time. Do you have a Audio Club in your area? These can help a great deal since there is usually a great variety in the group. My honest opinion is get the Slee, not much to look at but very nice sounding. I am biased since I have an Era-Gold, Elevator XP, and the Ascension. Good luck in your quest.

Sturgus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:59 pm 

sturgus..yes, that used to be the past....stores and people in them..all trying to get the latest and the greatest audio gear....now in the age of phone and internet...all is gone......

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:56 pm 

@OP, along with the two Montreal stores you mentioned, Son Idéal on Côte des Neiges ( they've just moved from Bishop ) is a store with which I would be happy to have a good working relationship.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:21 pm 

Slightly off topic but perhaps of interest to you Raphael is a thread I started because of my acquisition of the Virtuoso cart. You can find it here:

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/vi ... =4&t=44676

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:27 am 

daren_p wrote:
I'm a recent 310LP Neo owner, so far quite happy with it but in my own system, my previous unit was the 110LP. In that price range, your correct the possibilities are basically endless. Common ones to look at 310LP Neo, Sutherland Insight, Rega Aria, something from Clear Audio themselves, Avid Pulsus, etc, etc

Edit: Not to get too far off topic, but how does the new table compare to the old one? That's a pretty nice jump so I'd assume a big jump in SQ as well?

I will second this recommendation, I picked up the Neo 310LP and mated it to a very difficult cart.
A boron Technics MC310, .2mv and 30 ohm resistance. After playing it for a week it really came alive.
All I have to compare it to was my Zesto Andros 1.2 with a Cadenza Black. (not really a fair comparison)
I must say that for the money ($1650) the Moon 310LP Neo is a wickedly good phono stage that only gets better with age.
Great bargain for the price.
The added bonus is that they now upgraded the internal PSU, so you wont require the outboard one.
Oh also you cant beat the 10 year warranty.
Any Moon dealer should lend you one.
Advice, run it for 30 days.
I must say out of the box it sounded like crap for the first day or so.

Edit #2
Re the Oracle PH200, I had it home for a week, the Moon murders it.Way blacker background and far more dynamic.
I found the PH200 over emphasized everything. Sounded fat and the highs were shrill.

Edit #3
Pro-Ject Tube Box S, great sounding unit (musically) after you junk the stock tubes, however I found the noise floor on it way too high and you could hear some tube rush. Also the PSU is a joke.
I sold it after 2 months.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:15 am 

Two of my friends own the Simaudio 310 phono pre /320 phono power supply. This combo sounds great. They come up used on this site from time to time and the purchase can be done in 2 steps.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:56 am 

Another one, that hasn't been mentioned, is Audio Research. I used to own the PH3-SE and I really do regret selling it. The one thing it lacked was the gain for very low output MC, but otherwise it was fantastic.
You don't see them come up very often (except the REF models which are quite a bit more $), and they generally go fast when they do. There's a nice PH5 on that 'other' selling site right now in the US that looks really great...no affiliation of course.
B

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:47 pm 

I used to have the Graham Slee Reflex and the Elevator EXP of which I was able to compared to my old and trusted Sonic Frontiers Phono 1. IHMO, the SFP 1 sounded more lush especially in the midrange, but the Graham sounded more natural, also the SFP 1 was more noisier perhaps this has to do with tubes as anything else as opposed to the Graham, which was very quiet on its own. However, during my months of experimentation with the two units I decided to pair the Graham Slee Elevator EXP with SFP 1 as a step up transformer driving my low output BezMicro cartridge. The transformation of sound was complete as the two units were very synergistic to say the least as they sounded very natural but yet lush at the same time. But still there was this noise intrusion by the SFP 1 into the music that I couldn't live with.

So I decided to let them both go and bought an Ayre P-5XE phono stage, which sounded very natural with no fanfare or pretentious to its sound coupled with jet black background and I've been very happy with it ever since.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:13 pm 

tube54 wrote:
I used to have the Graham Slee Reflex and the Elevator EXP of which I was able to compared to my old and trusted Sonic Frontiers Phono 1. IHMO, the SFP 1 sounded more lush especially in the midrange, but the Graham sounded more natural, also the SFP 1 was more noisier perhaps this has to do with tubes as anything else as opposed to the Graham, which was very quiet on its own. However, during my months of experimentation with the two units I decided to pair the Graham Slee Elevator EXP with SFP 1 as a step up transformer driving my low output BezMicro cartridge. The transformation of sound was complete as the two units were very synergistic to say the least as they sounded very natural but yet lush at the same time. But still there was this noise intrusion by the SFP 1 into the music that I couldn't live with.

So I decided to let them both go and bought an Ayre P-5XE phono stage, which sounded very natural with no fanfare or pretentious to its sound coupled with jet black background and I've been very happy with it ever since.

Tube 54,

That Ayre P5 is a nice unit.
If you ever get the chance, take home the Zesto Andros 1.2 for home trial.
One of the nicest stages I have ever come across. Dead silent for a tuber and absolutely wonderful sounding.
You would have to go way over the $10k mark to come close to it for anything else.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:13 pm 

Rarely the Nighthawk - Ray Samuels - Emmeline come up for sale.

Snag one if possible, they are truely superb in many respects. Battery power supply eliminates all AC interference from the signal path. Tons of gain and load settings. My only complaint is the light weight chassis.

Toe - Toe I'd put it up against any $4000 phono, SS or Tube. Bias towards Low/Medium output carts.
Cheers,

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:51 pm 

JimJones wrote:
tube54 wrote:

Tube 54,

That Ayre P5 is a nice unit.
If you ever get the chance, take home the Zesto Andros 1.2 for home trial.
One of the nicest stages I have ever come across. Dead silent for a tuber and absolutely wonderful sounding.
You would have to go way over the $10k mark to come close to it for anything else.

Thanks for the tip. I've heard about them, but I haven't come across with one yet. However, a friend is thinking about upgrading his MBL 6010 pre amp to an "F" model, which features a built-in phono stage. I'm looking forward to listen to it. He does have the Audio Research SP11 that he uses as a phono stage for his VPI TT to tide him over until then, which is not too shabby either.