Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 333 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:08 pm 

Actually OR that's the exact table.
I did a thread on scouping it from VV last week for 14.99$.
Ya i know eh?
Anyways i hope to get the 110 strapped on and with my recent phono pre see what kind of synergy may or may not happen.
If its like you say with the heavier arm it should be pretty good.
I just have to watch the gain setting on my phono pre so as not to overmodulate.
If it works out I'll post for sure.
Thanks OR.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:01 am 
Premium User

EmmEff wrote:
triathleteman wrote:
Denon 103 on Amazon.ca for 250. I put one on my debut Carbon and love it.

Based on advice from OBI56 in another thread, that arm and cartridge shouldn't work together... what's going on here?

Please go back an re-read what I stated CAREFULLY. I never said it would not work. I said that it would be very far from delivering its full potential sound on such a combination. The more arm mass (up to a reasonable point) you throw at a 103 or 103R the better it sounds. You can add mass in several ways, changing the lightweight plastic body for a metal or wood one, swapping the cartridge top plate to a more sturdy heavy gauge aluminum or brass one, potting the cartridge body, using heavier spacers, but everything you do to add weight at the cartridge end of the arm, needs to be counterbalanced. Tonearm damping ((bearings or armtube itself) also helps.

The DL-110 is a different animal with its real life compliance being some 60% higher than that of the DL-103/R, it is best used in much less massive arms in the "normal" modern arm mass category.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:54 am 

Hey all, I'm new to the forum but also looking for a new cartridge. My current set up:

Clearaudio Emotion w/Satisfy version 1.0 ca. 2004 (aluminum arm wand)
Benz Micro Silver HOMC
Clearaudio Nano phono (variable gain, 34-68 db capable)
Myryad MP100 preamp
Myryad MA240 power amp
Totem Hawk speakers

My Benz cartridge probably has 1500 hours on it from me, but was purchased second hand with a reported 500 hours on it. These days it sounds lifeless and flat and the suspension seems to ride ever lower, so I suspect it's past due for replacement.

I don't want to spend more than $500 USD on a new cartridge for this system because in 3 years my plan is to get a whole new vinyl rig, including (probably) the Rega RP10 w/Apheta 2. The Clearaudio and new cart will become a secondary/office setup. Music selection is an even split of vocal jazz/soul (Dinah Washington, Etta James, Amy Winehouse, Sharon Jones), classic instrumental jazz (Blue Note, Brubeck, Mingus) and 60s-80s rock/punk (The Replacements, Devo, Alice Cooper).

My cartridge thoughts have vacillated between:

Denon DL103R (current front runner), $350-400 CAD.
Deadstock or rebuilt Shelter 501 mk1 or mk2, $500 USD
Nagaoka MP300, $550 USD
Soundsmith Otello, $400 USD

Just to address it because it will inevitably come up: I do think the DL103R will work with my system. The Satisfy tonearm should have an effective mass of 9.5 g, the cartridge has a mass of 8.5 g, and the cartridge compliance in standard units is 11. Should yield a resonance of 11 Hz despite the low-mass arm.

Any thoughts on those options, or are there glaring deficiencies in my short list that need to be rectified?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:58 am 

My recently-acquired Thorens TD-160 came with an obscure Excel ES-70EX4, which seemed to have a dead channel when I initially tried it.

So I hooked up my Grado XF-3 with 8MZ stylus - sounded wonderful, except for the awful hum induced by the AC motor. Reluctantly, I have now given up on this otherwise sweet sounding cartridge (sounded so good on my Technics).

Next, I hooked up an old Goldring G800E with new JICO stylus. It sounded OK, but I felt it didn't bring out the best in the Thorens.

So I put the Excel back on, this time squeezing the tiny cables in the headshell. Success!

What an amazing cartridge. I see why Shibata styli are prized. And why low inductance is a good thing.

I would suggest trying to find high quality vintage cartridges which still have affordable styli available. There is a Shibata for the ES-70EX4 for $59 at lptunes.com (no affil). That's pretty good for a Shibata.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:33 am 
Premium User

Fuse wrote:
My recently-acquired Thorens TD-160 came with an obscure Excel ES-70EX4, which seemed to have a dead channel when I initially tried it.

So I hooked up my Grado XF-3 with 8MZ stylus - sounded wonderful, except for the awful hum induced by the AC motor. Reluctantly, I have now given up on this otherwise sweet sounding cartridge (sounded so good on my Technics).

Next, I hooked up an old Goldring G800E with new JICO stylus. It sounded OK, but I felt it didn't bring out the best in the Thorens.

So I put the Excel back on, this time squeezing the tiny cables in the headshell. Success!

What an amazing cartridge. I see why Shibata styli are prized. And why low inductance is a good thing.

I would suggest trying to find high quality vintage cartridges which still have affordable styli available. There is a Shibata for the ES-70EX4 for $59 at lptunes.com (no affil). That's pretty good for a Shibata.

Have you tried the factory recommended hum fix on your TD-160 (it is listed right in the owners and service manuals)? I've been running Grados for years on TD-160s without any problems. And yes, the Excel cartridges were exceptional.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:50 am 

Fuse wrote:

Go to the service manual, page 5. You will have to login or register first.

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/thorens/td160.shtml

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:12 am 
Premium User

Anyone heard one of these?

Attachments:
IMG_1914.JPG
IMG_1914.JPG [ 193.97 KiB | Viewed 455 times ]
IMG_1913.JPG
IMG_1913.JPG [ 64.69 KiB | Viewed 455 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:28 am 

A phono preamp?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:38 am 

Chipmunk1957 wrote:
A phono preamp?

http://micromega.com/en/products/my-range/mygroov/

The Micromega Mygroov

It looks nice and if it had separate MM and MC inputs I might have ordered it instead of the Music Hall that's on the way.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:41 am 
Premium User

Yes MC and MM made in France not a lot of reviews out there!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:10 pm 

tubemannick wrote:
Yes MC and MM made in France not a lot of reviews out there!

http://musichallaudio.com/music-hall-pa ... amplifier/

I just ordered one of these. Also no reviews, but just flush with features.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:51 pm 

I love kit made in France.
My YBA pre was superb build quality.
Best of luck with it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:47 pm 
Premium User

I grabbed it, it was on Kijiji in Toronto since last week for $100. Using it on the Ortofon bronze tonight nice sounding unit. Was surprised it was still available

Attachments:
IMG_1960.JPG
IMG_1960.JPG [ 296.65 KiB | Viewed 346 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:20 pm 

finski wrote:
My Nagaoka MP50S is quite old, still sounds good to me, but must be reaching its end. Having learned the replacement stylus is $470, I think it's time to move on.

Am thinking Dynavector, Denon, Grado?? and would like to keep it under $500, less preferable.

The Gon has an advertiser with new Denon 103 MC for $187 US which sounds like a good (maybe great) deal (perhaps B#s can elaborate on its' performance, the reviews have been good), also the Grado entry level wood MC for $300. Canadian prices for Grado seem to have skyrocketed in the last year notwithstanding the better $. There hasn't been much talk of cartridges of late, a good time to get off the cable train....all vinyl guys input appreciated. With a cartridge, I would probably prefer to go with new product.

Analogue setup: Rega Planar 2, well isolated and tweaked, RB300 arm stock, NAD PP2 MM/MC pre.

Thanks in advance

Finski

post deleted - just saw this thread was started 12 yrs ago... :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:46 pm 

tubemannick wrote:
I grabbed it, it was on Kijiji in Toronto since last week for $100. Using it on the Ortofon bronze tonight nice sounding unit. Was surprised it was still available

Nice score G.
Bet it's a whole lot more $$ at the retail level.
Enjoy it!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 333 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next