Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 333 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:25 am 

I'll cast another vote for the Dynavectors. Setup is fairly straight-forward, they track well and they are nice sounding cartridges.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:44 pm 

If you can find someone on eBay.co.uk that will post to you, then try and find a second hand Cartridge Man Music Maker. Might go slightly over your budget, but they are worth every single penny. However, if you're stuck for cash and looking for a good MM cart, try the Rega's - I have had several and they have all been superb at their price point, especially when used with Rega arms and / or decks. Dead easy to set up on Rega arms too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:14 am 

jasondixon wrote:
If you can find someone on eBay.co.uk that will post to you, then try and find a second hand Cartridge Man Music Maker. Might go slightly over your budget, but they are worth every single penny. However, if you're stuck for cash and looking for a good MM cart, try the Rega's - I have had several and they have all been superb at their price point, especially when used with Rega arms and / or decks. Dead easy to set up on Rega arms too.

Hi Jason, welcome to CAM. I was intrigued by the Music Maker suggestion. It looks like it is based off of a Grado. Do you know if it has the same hum issues on Rega tables? What is the price point in the UK?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:27 am 

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone is using Transfiguration cartridges and if so your impressions having lived with them for a bit (comparisons to other cartridges/what it was used with etc.). I am thinking of making a move on the analog front - adding another table etc. sometime this year. Am using orofon cadenza black and koetsu rosewood signature now.

I have heard them before and i had a good first impressions - of the proteus in particular - but it was a while ago (and i will listen again) but inputs are often helpful. It just seemed right - well balanced etc.

Have not heard Benz lps or higher end Lyra/dynavector carts - but would entertain alternatives - liked the shelter carts and used to use a 501 mk 2. Could look up the koetsu line too. Hard to compare carts on same rig of course.

Thanks all,

-j

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:07 am 

I am currently split between my Denon 103 and my Shure V15
however I have a couple Denon 110 that sound pretty good too...excellent value !!!

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:44 am 

Why no one ever mentions sound smith for hi output cartridges? Their $500 otello will out perform any other brand in that price range,but they are in u.s.,do some research on them,you may be surprised.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:06 am 
Premium User

Zipp wrote:
Why no one ever mentions sound smith for hi output cartridges? Their $500 otello will out perform any other brand in that price range,but they are in u.s.,do some research on them,you may be surprised.

There have already been 4 posts about SoundSmith cartridges in this thread alone.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:08 pm 

That OP was kind of a skin flint. (I should know - I eat sleep and shower with him every day). :lol: He went for the 103, 103r, wood body 103r, GAS Sleeping Beauty and a few others that all fit into his budget, even if he had to spend another $3K+ on an arm and pre to make them work right...But he's always willing to listen. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:57 pm 

Just about to receive an Ortofon MC 20 Super with about 100 hours on it.
Stylus looks fantastic.
Have been running a Denon 103 for two months and this seems like a logical step up without pimping out the Denon.
I have run an Ortofon HMC 30 before but the MC 20 Super is a whole different kettle.
Will be interesting to see how it will work out with my Denon table and a better headshell and Audioquest cartridge leads.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:04 pm 
Premium User

Denon 103 on Amazon.ca for 250. I put one on my debut Carbon and love it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:09 pm 

With the current exchange rate, that's an awesome deal.... :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:01 pm 

triathleteman wrote:
Denon 103 on Amazon.ca for 250. I put one on my debut Carbon and love it.

Based on advice from OBI56 in another thread, that arm and cartridge shouldn't work together... what's going on here?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:56 pm 

One guy's hearing it, the other's discussing it.

I recently re-acquired a Rega arm, an RB-250 (it has been cardas/vampire rewired). It has a Kerry heavy CW and I have mounted a Denon 103r with a Mpingo damper and shimmed the arm up on a Rega table. In theory the cart and (stock) arm shouldn't work, but it sounds glorious like this.

I don't know what the Debut arm is based on. I can say that the 103 sounds like absolute crap on a Linn arm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:14 pm 

If i have any luck I'll be mounting a Dl 110 on a Pioneer Pl540 in the next few days.
Hope it works well together.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:48 pm 

Chipmunk1957 wrote:
If i have any luck I'll be mounting a Dl 110 on a Pioneer Pl540 in the next few days.
Hope it works well together.

If the Pioneer table is like this one, it should sound phenomenal. I cleaned-up a Pioneer PL-518 & gifted it to a buddy and the Denon DL-110 totally rocked on that deck. Looks like the same tonearm to me. When I was using the DL-110 it absolutely sang on turntables with a nice big ol' s-shaped tonearm. Must be a 'mass' thing, for when I tried it with low-mass arms, the 110 lost all it's grip on bass response no matter what I tried. Keep us posted!
8)

Attachments:
pioneer_pl-540_auto-return_turntable.jpg
pioneer_pl-540_auto-return_turntable.jpg [ 72.27 KiB | Viewed 664 times ]
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 333 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next