Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 338 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:20 am
Posts: 3723
Location: Burlington, ON, CA
My Nagaoka MP50S is quite old, still sounds good to me, but must be reaching its end. Having learned the replacement stylus is $470, I think it's time to move on.

Am thinking Dynavector, Denon, Grado?? and would like to keep it under $500, less preferable.

The Gon has an advertiser with new Denon 103 MC for $187 US which sounds like a good (maybe great) deal (perhaps B#s can elaborate on its' performance, the reviews have been good), also the Grado entry level wood MC for $300. Canadian prices for Grado seem to have skyrocketed in the last year notwithstanding the better $. There hasn't been much talk of cartridges of late, a good time to get off the cable train....all vinyl guys input appreciated. With a cartridge, I would probably prefer to go with new product.

Analogue setup: Rega Planar 2, well isolated and tweaked, RB300 arm stock, NAD PP2 MM/MC pre.

Thanks in advance

Finski


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:13 pm
Posts: 2497
Location: Hamilton, ON, CA
xxxx


Last edited by vintage on Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: for the money........
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:50 pm
Posts: 302
Location: Guelph, ON, CA
grab yourself a Dynavector 10X-5, high-output moving coil, cannot beat it for the dollars.......


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:20 am
Posts: 3723
Location: Burlington, ON, CA
BTW, I encourage dealers to post opinions on this: you will get no flack from me and therefore hopefully from anyone else who posts. For my purpose knowing who's got what and for how much is important to me and maybe others who look in.
Judge, do you happen to know the price locally on the Dynavector or where there's a dealer for it, GTA>west?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:11 pm
Posts: 1147
Location: Elora, ON, CA
In that case:

Goldring 1042
Rega Super Elys

Both will work extremely well with your set-up.

Scott

_________________
arcadiaaudio@gmail.com
416-994-5571


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:05 pm
Posts: 1203
Location: Ottawa, ON, CA
Strong second for the Dynavector 10x5. Best cartridge under $500. Grado Gold is top value for the price of $229.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:15 am
Posts: 4599
Location: Newmarket, ON, CA
finski wrote:
My Nagaoka MP50S is quite old, still sounds good to me, but must be reaching its end. Having learned the replacement stylus is $470, I think it's time to move on.

Am thinking Dynavector, Denon, Grado?? and would like to keep it under $500, less preferable.

The Gon has an advertiser with new Denon 103 MC for $187 US which sounds like a good (maybe great) deal (perhaps B#s can elaborate on its' performance, the reviews have been good), also the Grado entry level wood MC for $300. Canadian prices for Grado seem to have skyrocketed in the last year notwithstanding the better $. There hasn't been much talk of cartridges of late, a good time to get off the cable train....all vinyl guys input appreciated. With a cartridge, I would probably prefer to go with new product.

Analogue setup: Rega Planar 2, well isolated and tweaked, RB300 arm stock, NAD PP2 MM/MC pre.

Thanks in advance

Finski


Yeah I'm a DL-103 user and think it is hands down *the* biggest steal in all of audio, there isn't even a close runner up.

The 103 (and close cousin the 103-R) is very likely one of the most written about cartridges over at the Vinyl Forum of the Audio Asylum.

But in a nutshell ... from a objective perspective it has fine resolution across the entire band, there is no particular band that stands out, it is very neutral in that regard.

From a subjective perspective it has a rich organic sound, ripe bass that with excellent tone and weight, excellent mids that do justice to voice, male and female. It is only in the highs that it departs from the expensive MC crowd. It is excellent mind you but doesn't have the craracteristic 'airy' delicate top end that is the halmark of many a super expensive MC. However its tonal balance more than makes up for it with a rewarding 'realistic' sound that makes many much more expensive MCs sound hi-fi-ish in comparison.

The natural 'competitor' is the also excellently priced latest AT OC9. The OC9 makes the 103 appear a technological dinasaur, boron cantilever, super sophisticated fine line stylus (or something to that effect), and has that charasteristic MC high end sound (judging by comments at VF and also based on my own listening to an earlier version).

On the whole most seem to find the OC9 to sound thinner, elegant, refined, the 103 more ballsy, gutsy, etc. I comes down to taste really, both are beyond excellent for the $s involved; although the OC9 isn't quite the steal the 103 is $ wise.

Interestingly one of the more technical oriented posters at the Vinyl Forum, John Elison, a retired engineer if I'm not mistaken, has been a long time very vocal advocate of the OC9, *and* until recently was also rather critical of the 103, mostly based on consideration of its *inferior* design. Well Elison recently changes his tune considerable after obtaining a 103-R (same as the standard DL-103 but uses *better* copper in the coils). Turns out it *measures* just fine, meeting and even exceeding the OC9 in certain areas including tracking (much to his surprise), and it truns out he thinks it sounds excellent as well. I don't believe he has stated a perference between the two however.

I had a Roksan Shiraz in the past and yes I'd take it over the 103 any day, but I'm not exactly suffering without, certainly not enough to spend the $3000US++ it takes to get one today! Besides that Shiraz could be just more than a little brutally honest for less than perfect recordings, in that respect the more forgiving 103 could be said to be *better*. :D


Last edited by b3733366 on Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:11 pm
Posts: 1147
Location: Elora, ON, CA
b3733366 wrote:

I had a Roksan Shiraz in the past and yes I'd take it over the 103 any day, but I'm not exactly suffering without, certainly not enough to spend the $3000US++ it takes to get one today! Besides that Shiraz could be just more than a little brutally honest for less than perfect recordings, in that respect the more forgiving 103 could be said to be *better*. :D


$3200CDN :D :D

Scott

_________________
arcadiaaudio@gmail.com
416-994-5571


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:11 pm
Posts: 1147
Location: Elora, ON, CA
The Super Elys and Goldring 1042 are both MM cartridges.

Scott

_________________
arcadiaaudio@gmail.com
416-994-5571


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 1370
Location: Calgary, AB, CA
Arcadia Audio wrote:
The Super Elys and Goldring 1042 are both MM cartridges.

Scott


Finski, Did I tell you that I bought a Goldring 1042 from Scott. Its a very smooth cartridge.

But !!!! It needs a good 40 lp sides before it breaks in. Fresh out of the box it is very harsh.

Louballoo

_________________
Keeping it Real


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 1370
Location: Calgary, AB, CA
I forgot to add, why not get an LP12 while you are at it.

Louballoo

_________________
Keeping it Real


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:15 am
Posts: 4599
Location: Newmarket, ON, CA
Arcadia Audio wrote:
b3733366 wrote:

I had a Roksan Shiraz in the past and yes I'd take it over the 103 any day, but I'm not exactly suffering without, certainly not enough to spend the $3000US++ it takes to get one today! Besides that Shiraz could be just more than a little brutally honest for less than perfect recordings, in that respect the more forgiving 103 could be said to be *better*. :D


$3200CDN :D :D

Scott


Caught red handed in the act, exaggerating that is! :oops: :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:20 am
Posts: 3723
Location: Burlington, ON, CA
Needledoctor is blowing out the AT at $289, the Grado platinum at $300 and the 10X5 is at $380. Being a cheapskate the Denon at $187 is winning. Tracking at 2.5 grams is heavy though, but it's good to get the opinion of someone who has lived with it for a long time (on a very very good table set up I should mention).


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:15 am
Posts: 4599
Location: Newmarket, ON, CA
finski wrote:
Needledoctor is blowing out the AT at $289, the Grado platinum at $300 and the 10X5 is at $380. Being a cheapskate the Denon at $187 is winning. Tracking at 2.5 grams is heavy though, but it's good to get the opinion of someone who has lived with it for a long time (on a very very good table set up I should mention).


I got mine from the Lowther guy right here in the GTA area. He sells it at $230CAN (before tax). But you know it's new, no hanky panky and no nasty border crossing surprises. Supporting the local industry is a good thing as well (IMO).

http://www.lowtherclub.com/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:20 am
Posts: 3723
Location: Burlington, ON, CA
b3733366 wrote:
finski wrote:
Needledoctor is blowing out the AT at $289, the Grado platinum at $300 and the 10X5 is at $380. Being a cheapskate the Denon at $187 is winning. Tracking at 2.5 grams is heavy though, but it's good to get the opinion of someone who has lived with it for a long time (on a very very good table set up I should mention).


I got mine from the Lowther guy right here in the GTA area. He sells it at $230CAN (before tax). But you know it's new, no hanky panky and no nasty border crossing surprises. Supporting the local industry is a good thing as well (IMO).

http://www.lowtherclub.com/


Thanks B#s that's the kind of info I was looking for, but still would like to hear from more wax enthusiasts!


Lou, would love to get a Linn in here, unfortunately the days of $450 LP12s that arent basket cases are long gone ( I actually missed one at that price about 20 years back)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 338 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: starman100, vbasra and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group