Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:28 pm 
Premium User

Hi all,

I just replaced my Clearaudio Concept MM cartridge with the Concept MC cartridge. The stated output voltage is 0.4 mV but Clearaudio doesn't state the recommended loading. I am trying out 1000 ohms but this is just an extrapolation from some info in my phono stage manual (iPhono 2). At first listen, it sounds ok but the cartridge will need to break in for a while I suspect. It is also tough to rate the performance as this is my first foray into MC and I don't have a ton of experience listening to different cartridges, especially MC. Perhaps a little brighter than my past setup. Is there a calculation where the loading can be determined from the output voltage?

Thanks,

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:52 pm 

If it sounds brighter I'd try 100ohms loading, which is fairly standard.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:09 pm 
Premium User

ripblade wrote:
If it sounds brighter I'd try 100ohms loading, which is fairly standard.

Thanks Rip, that took the brightness off. Bit of a warmer tone now, to my liking.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:29 pm 

Glad it worked out. You can always tweak the loading to suit different records, but not many headamps offer that option comprehensively. Shame too, because that's one of the best things about vinyl replay.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:18 am 

Look up the internal resistance of the cart and load it at approx 10x that value as a starting point.

I find 200 Ohms works best for my DV20x2L. Set higher and the sound is not better, set lower and bass control is diminished. I doubt maxed at 1000 Ohms is ideal.
I use bass response as the gauge. What is the min resistance to have ideal bass without compression of dynamic range. Then again my particular phono preamp has an infinitely adjustable loading knob on the front.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:18 am 
Premium User

I think the lesson learned is to just play around with the loading until you find the sound you like. I have to mess around with some dip switches so I don't have infinitely variable loading but I will do a bit of experimenting.

BTW, first time swapping out a cartridge on this table and I couldn't believe how tight the tonearm wires were on the cartridge contacts. Good thing I hadn't had any caffeine prior to the "surgery".

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:39 pm 

racecars wrote:
Look up the internal resistance of the cart and load it at approx 10x that value as a starting point.

Internal impedance is 11 Ohm so anywhere between 50-200Ohm is good. 100Ohm is a good starting point.