Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:43 pm 

I bought this for "parts or repair" and did in fact repair-I made pinch rollers for it until I can find some real ones, and a few other tweaks. There's many features on this old deck, and a lot of adjustments too... I like it!

Attachments:
dl 002.jpg
dl 002.jpg [ 306.96 KiB | Viewed 239 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:37 pm 

That's a nice deck and worth restoring!

Are you a member at the Tapeheads forum;

http://www.tapeheads.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6

Through that forum, I found a source for belts and cam motors for my Nakamichi decks.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:37 pm 

Dual made great decks and I am not sure why the direct load feature was not more popular. Pioneer had it in the late 1970s as well.

The lack of a door allowed for dramatic improvements in sound quality as well as pitch stability. I still have a large number of tapes made on a couple of Dual decks.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:39 pm 

This one is one of my favourites, it was pretty high-end for the late 70's and it has a rare auto-reverse system that doesn't flip anything, it just reads the tape in reverse! A couple of oddities though are that the transport has to be completely disassembled to adjust the solenoids although I've found a couple of ways around that and the fact that it doesn't have a chassis! Other than the panels there's two C-channels and a brace from the rear to the side. Mine doesn't have the cross brace either but it's still a heavy beast. The rear has a DIN jack, output level pots and a port for an IR receiver, now that and the remote would be pretty cool. Anyway I'm going to get right into making or finding new pinch rollers, I don't think they're the right durometer (too hard) and trying to jam them harder into the capstans isn't the way to run a deck.

Attachments:
c-839-rc-1-dual.jpg
c-839-rc-1-dual.jpg [ 188.51 KiB | Viewed 119 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:23 am 

rustee wrote:
I bought this for "parts or repair" and did in fact repair-I made pinch rollers for it until I can find some real ones, and a few other tweaks. There's many features on this old deck, and a lot of adjustments too... I like it!

Yeah, THAT is a really neat machine, I'm jealous.
Ott.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:46 am 

I do remember this deck very well, the Dual C 839 RC, one of the top deck sold in the late 70s, and early 80s. I almost bought one in 1980 while stationed in Germany, going for the Aiwa AD-6900 instead.
If you like this medium, you have a very nice cassette deck in your possession, not only nice, but also one of the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:11 pm 

I also have the service manual in English which is of course a wealth of information. 20 VRs and 8 inductors to adjust-but really the left channel needs a tweak, that's all. Of course I'd like to give it a full alignment if I could find a tech I trust, I don't know any yet.