Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:59 pm 
Premium User

What does the 'Cancel Auction' feature do...would that mean that the last person bidding is the successful buyer?

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:16 pm 
Site Admin

Voodoo Funk wrote:
What does the 'Cancel Auction' feature do...would that mean that the last person bidding is the successful buyer?

No, this is to allow the seller to completely cancel an auction with no winners, but it carries a penalty including potential negative feedback.

If you want to select a winner either lower the reserve or lower the Buy It Now price then anyone can end the auction by paying the Buy It Now price.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:19 pm 
Premium User

admin wrote:
Voodoo Funk wrote:

No, this is to allow the seller to completely cancel and auction with no winners, but it carries a penalty including potential negative feedback.

If you want to select a winner either lower the reserve or lower the Buy It Now price then anyone can end the auction by paying the Buy It Now price.

OK...both sides of the fence seem to be learning!!! 8)

If you lower the reserve or lower the Buy It Now price to that of the last bid...does that person win?

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:22 pm 

OBI56 wrote:
admin wrote:
bolly wrote:
why can I only see ended auctions and not current ones?

Where do you see the ended auctions? is it here?

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/auction/

Because as of the writing of this post there are 5 active auctions there, none are ended yet.

Working fine here on Win 10/Edge and on my iPad. Still looking for ended auctions.

Must have been a glitch, earlier today both Win 10/Edge & ipad were saying ended on all auctions but both appear normal currently.

Edit: Question, if an item is up for auction & its listed by a dealer, how does it work with taxes? One would assume taxes are to be added on top of your winning bid? If its not always clear that its a dealer posting the auction, how is it clear for the buyer if taxes still apply?

Last edited by daren_p on Sat May 06, 2017 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:28 pm 
Site Admin

You don't want to lower the Buy It Now to the highest bid because that disables Buy It Now. Once bids reach the Buy it Now price then the option is removed so the highest bidder can't be undercut by someone who uses Buy It Now. This also means that if an auction looks like it might get close to the Buy It Now price then bidders may want to immediately Buy It Now to secure the item before it gets more expensive than Buy It Now.

Lowering the reserve price to the current highest bid won't end the auction but it will guarantee the item has a winner at the end even if no further bids are added.

A good practice is to lower the reserve near the end of the auction to encourage more bids since bidders know someone is guaranteed to get the item (all bidders get and email informing them the reserve is met). I would guess doing this on the last day might be good.

Re: Taxes. Currently the system assumes the winning bid + shipping cost is the final price price you pay to the seller. Shipping costs are predetermined and listed on the auction. There is no provision for adding taxes to the price and when you win, if you pay with Paypal the system collects everything together, so Dealers may have to pay the taxes out of the total collected payment. In the future, to accomodate Dealers we may allow Dealers to elect how taxes are treated (eg whether to add taxes to auction price, and this will be clearly denoted in the auction). It might be wise to ask a Public question in the auction in question to be extra clear, but we will try to clarify this ourselves in the system in a future revision.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 6:52 pm 

looks like cam is going the way of its competitor agon what next charge per listing fee you would think cam would of learned from the competition mistakes as there listing are way down from the changes they did a few years ago my premium fee is due not renewing it

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 6:54 pm 
Premium User

rednecknber wrote:
looks like cam is going the way of its competitor agon what next charge per listing fee you would think cam would of learned from the competition mistakes as there listing are way down from the changes they did a few years ago my premium fee is due not renewing it

You're in for a surprise as you 'cannot not renew your Premium fee'...you will no longer be a part of CAM and you will lose all your feedback.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 6:56 pm 

so be it why can i not renew as they sent me a invoice for payment weeks ago

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 6:59 pm 
Premium User

rednecknber wrote:
so be it why can i not renew as they sent me a invoice for payment weeks ago

I believe if you check the due date you will see that you're not there yet.

After the due date, if you haven't paid, you will automatically lose your account.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:08 pm 

thats fine because canuck will go the way agon did have a look at there listings on agon any category compare it from years ago huge decline in ads maybe because you have to have a credit card associated with your account to post a ad just one of there brilliant changes they made when they revamped there site years ago

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:25 pm 
Site Admin

rednecknber wrote:
looks like cam is going the way of its competitor agon what next charge per listing fee

If you read through the thread you will see that we have stated that Auctions are separate from Classifieds and that Classifieds will stay free. Our long term viability strategy is to implement these value add, optional features in order to continue to offer Classifieds free for hobbyists and continue to improve our core free features for many more years to come.

The good news is that auctions are completely optional and if you don't want to list an auction you don't have to :). Auctions and other option value added features exist to serve those who see value in them and who find them useful or desirable, and if those optional features are used their proceeds go towards helping the site financially. Otherwise, use our free features as you always have. Personally, I had a lot of fun planning and executing the auctions and I think they can be fun or a different experience for those who participate in them. They also fit a niche need for certain situations and certain sellers.

Voodoo Funk wrote:
After the due date, if you haven't paid, you will automatically lose your account.

Premium Members who don't use the site much will automatically become regular members if they don't renew their Premium Status. However, rednecknber has posted an average of 20 ads every month for the past 11 months, so he won't be able to post at all if he does not maintain his Premium User status. Rough calculations show he can probably start posting again as a free user sometime around 7 months from now, but he would have to limit himself to 5 Classifieds a month.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:31 pm 
Premium User

Why don't 'auctions' show up on the US Audio Mart site?

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:36 pm 
Site Admin

Voodoo Funk wrote:

If you enable "Include ads from Canada" on the USAM homepage you will see the Auctions tab and Auctions link in the header navigation. Otherwise, since USAM has no US auctions yet, it will not show that link or the tab.

I think we will have to tweak the auctions page on USAM to have a "include Auctions from Canada" or show them if none exist in the US.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:38 pm 
Premium User

admin wrote:
Voodoo Funk wrote:

If you enable "Include ads from Canada" on the USAM homepage you will see the Auctions tab and Auctions link in the header navigation. Otherwise, since USAM has no US auctions yet, it will not show that link or the tab.

I think we will have to tweak the auctions page on USAM to have a "include Auctions from Canada" or show them if none exist in the US.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:15 am 

This is an interesting feature I just noticed today. If people want to use it then by all means having the option is nice. I see little to no need for this, personally.

One thing that certainly scares me and I've had to deal with in the last couple sales are users with no feedback who are insistent on using only Paypal. For a buy-now feature, you don't get to screen who wins the auction. The person with medium-high numbers of feedback will always get priority over ones with 0-1 - in-person dealings aside.

I can appreciate that Paypal is really the only way to have some level of security for an auction but it is by no means perfect and strongly prefers the buyer over the seller.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next