Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:25 pm 

My first impression is that I don't like the Idea, reminds me of audio-gon

So this site is now CAM BAY

I am not sure if this is the right way to describe it, but to me it seems like one step further away from a friendly place

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:11 pm 

to me it is ebay . price is going up ! :(posting.php?mode=reply&f=3&t=46583#

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:25 pm 

What made Cam great was that it was not Ebay,now what's the difference,it sucks is my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:32 pm 

they're adding options, not taking away.............................

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:45 pm 
Premium User

I "personally" like it. Please don't flame me. :) Could be exciting. I have a couple of thoughts that might increase testing and refining of code on your backend folks.

1. For a limited time.(Beta) Wave the $2 posting fee and the 2%. This I would think would get more users to try it. Would also expose any needed code changes faster, thus improving quality of user experience.

2. Suggestion on locking flow of ad posting method.

A. Buy it now always supersedes any other ongoing transaction. I can't see it working any other
way except with some complicated backend database locking.
B. Straight out negotiation by email or phone or what ever means of communication. If buyer
and seller agree agree ad is marked as sold. If buyer backs out with no payment .
Include a re-list button after a backend confirmation with paypal that NO payment action is
pending. ( Of course possibility of Re-listing may be delayed if buyer wants to view / demo
equipment)
C. Best Offer has a listing time. Maybe with a reserve ?, if reserve met , then best offer wins.
D. Put a time down counter in the ad so people can see how close it is to the auction / listing
ending.

Questions I have,
A. how will disputes be handled ? Since CAM will be collecting a small listing fee and a 2% sold fee,
does that not make CAM partially partially responsible for buyer and seller satisfaction ? or will
that only be between buyer and seller and PayPal?
B. Will the number of ads a free member can list, depend on the type ? IE: Auction, buy it now,
best offer unlimited and standard ads would have the same cap as they do now?

You might have thought or have all this in place. Just my two cents worth.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:50 pm 
Premium User

Che Cavolo wrote:
they're adding options, not taking away.............................

That's how I see it as well. I don't feel there is a problem here, just an additional feature. Administration has to do all of the heavy lifting for this new feature and they deserve to be compenstated for the time.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:04 am 

Is there a " No Shipping " option in the Auction and/or Buy It Now postings? As I prefer to deal face to face.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:49 am 

In addition to a "No Shipping" option is there a clear option to limit shipping destinations, e.g. Canada only?

Also if one wanted to limit sales to 'Canada only' or 'CAM members only' is there a way to prevent people who don't meet those criteria from winning an Auction or pressing the Buy Now button?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:58 am 

I don't really care that much about the auctions or buy it now features, though I've had good luck with audio auctions on other sites in the past. I think it's okay, and really you're just adding features to the site and that's never a bad thing (though if I were selling something, I have my doubts that I'd list it on an auction site, considering the 2% (plus paypal) fees...if it costs me 50 bucks to sell a 1k item, that seems kinda of excessive.
Anyway, my questions is, is there a way to see active auctions only, rather than just classifieds? I thought I read through this whole thread but can't seem to see any mention of how auction items will be listed.
Thanks,
Byron

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:03 am 

cdn_borne wrote:
1. For a limited time.(Beta) Wave the $2 posting fee and the 2%. This I would think would get more users to try it. Would also expose any needed code changes faster, thus improving quality of user experience.

Bad idea IMO. Removing the posting fee and sales fee mechanisms = opening the whole site (not just the Auctions) to unverified scammers. As it stands right now, only PayPal verified members can use the Auction side of the Classifieds site (both sellers and buyers). You dont have or accept PayPal, you cannot use the Auction format.

As everything financial runs through PayPal, that is where any disputes would get resolved.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:29 am 

OBI56 wrote:
cdn_borne wrote:

Bad idea IMO. Removing the posting fee and sales fee mechanisms = opening the whole site (not just the Auctions) to unverified scammers. As it stands right now, only PayPal verified members can use the Auction side of the Classifieds site (both sellers and buyers). You dont have or accept PayPal, you cannot use the Auction format.

As everything financial runs through PayPal, that is where any disputes would get resolved.

I agree OBI, but why not just charge $2 for each classified ad and forget all about this? That would likely generate more revenue, it would deter a lot of the scammers, and it would make things much simpler for everyone. It would also negate the need for an ego-boosting 'Premium' membership tier. :roll:

As for PayPal, I don't have an issue with requiring ALL members to be verified members, if that would help to foil the scammers.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:35 am 
Premium User

Quadzilla wrote:
OBI56 wrote:
cdn_borne wrote:

I agree OBI, but why not just charge $2 for each classified ad and forget all about this? That would likely generate more revenue, it would deter a lot of the scammers, and it would make things much simpler for everyone. It would also negate the need for an ego-boosting 'Premium' membership tier. :roll:

As for PayPal, I don't have an issue with requiring ALL members to be verified members, if that would help to foil the scammers.

I definitely think this idea is a very good one.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:48 am 

The concept reminds me of the old saying, "A camel is a horse, designed by a committee". I doubt that the revenue generated, or the convenience for a select number of sellers would outweigh the costs in time, money, and devolved responsibilities on the site owners.

We already have a site where some of us feel the need to complain bitterly about and question the motives of......... people that sell too high, too low, give away their goods, flippers, old stuff, new stuff, definitions of ratings, shipping or not shipping, payment methods, and ad nauseum. Even this thread has proven that giving people too much choice is a disaster, and that it doesn't take long before people develop an unwarranted sense of ownership.

If it works, then Kudos to admin; if not then Kudos to admin too! I know that I wouldn't offer it without a lot of analysis, including an intensive and extensive look at some of the more abstract variables.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:59 am 

The system says "When someone pays through Buy It Now, CAM will take a 2% commission of the purchase price."

Clearly this is a first step towards the Audiogon model. Personally I'm OK with a small fee per classified as it might filter out listings for junk. If it gets to the stage where CAM wants a % of my sale, then I'll have to consider returning to the other sites which take a %, but provide a larger international market.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:51 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

alberchas wrote:
Voodoo Funk wrote:
alberchas wrote:
THIS SUCKS!

Why? It's optional.

If there is something listed in an auction that I would like to purchase, then there is no option for me other than to participate in the auction.

Part of the reason one would prefer to not participate in an auction, is that one might be trying to finesse the seller and the deal, as much as is possible. Like a salesman going to work on a customer. Both good and bad parts of such attempts at deals are obvious and unspoken.

Think of it as an option delivered to the seller, regarding how they may want to try to do things. No one is forcing them to run an auction. But many will, if they think the sale is going to take place at a high enough figure to satisfy them.

Personally I think this is good for CAM, as I'm bone tired of audiogon, even though we're still new there. The amount of money they've pulled from our pockets is insane. With a condition of service or requisite complexity in available options, that is just, well..bad. They need to feel the heat. Please deliver to them some notable heat.

I don't think the ownership of audiogon quite understands that the use of that website is practically forced, due to a lack of options, and that they will begin to be deserted quickly, if something other that is even mildly viable --shows it's self. Audiogon has a captive audience and captive participation, which is a disaster in the making when alternatives arise.

Two seconds of thought cast toward the idea of what this thread is about (from admin and user viewpoints), makes that quite clear.

However, reading the details, this 2% thing. Be very careful. don't shoot the thing before it's born. Cull after migration, not before. It's a rock and a hard place, yes, but hopefully gumption and desire to get somewhere will prevail, over the idea of eying the potential numbers. A sliding scale where the percentage decreases for the bigger ticket items. Ie, our lowest priced item, at this time, is approx $600, and other items can easily approach $4-5k. However, the other site takes the money up front, regardless if the sale takes place or not.

Anyway, good luck on this venture/attempt/foray....(and it's inevitable slow evolution, as that's the way she goes...)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next