Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:44 pm 

I can only see seller raising price to cover additional fees. Just like ebay...

if buyers and sellers demands it, let's make the market decide...

I always liked CAM for flexibility.
I think it's ok for someone asking ''best offer'' then could rely on auction type of sale. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:47 pm 

If there is something listed in an auction that I would like to purchase, then there is no option for me other than to participate in the auction.[/quote]

Not entirely certain how auctions work but if there was something I wanted to purchase I would decide what is the most I would pay for it and then act accordingly.[/quote]

Yes, but now you will pay for Paypal use while the seller pays a listing fee plus a closing fee. Those fees will be included in higher asking prices.

Last edited by alberchas on Wed May 03, 2017 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:49 pm 

Quick questions to admin: Does using the Auction format require that the seller submit financial information and get approved before posting an ad? Otherwise, how does CAM collect the $2 posting fee and 2% sales fees? And how is the payment handled?

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:53 pm 

wcoombs wrote:
Not sure these "upgrades " will improve the Canuck experience, only complicate things.
Just my 2 cents.

Most sellers will likely not want to auction their equipment unless the minimum bids are high or close to their ultimate asking price. Buy it now is not a great move provided you want a demo of the component first. There should be a "conditional buy it now" based on a live demo confirming the item is as advertised. If the item is to be shipped, than rely on the CAM sellers feedback because that's all you have unless you have dealt with that seller personally or know someone who has.

These options should be there for those that want to sell their equipment that way. I think it's great that CAM is giving sellers more options at a reasonable cost. Why not if it's their equipment they should be able to sell it how they see fit provided they break no rules. At the end of the day, regardless of how one sells on this site, crucify the seller who knowingly or otherwise mis-represents what they are selling by giving them a trip to Little Banhammer and continue to discourage bottom feeder scammers that try to pillage CAM members.

Last edited by Musicware4u on Tue May 02, 2017 6:05 pm, edited 9 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:53 pm 

Voodoo Funk wrote:

First one across the 'finish line' wins...a buyer would need to be aware that while he is inquiring and hasn't decided he might be beat out by somebody who is a little more decisive than he is!!!

For an auction, sure have a buy it now, you snooze, you loose! But a buy it now option on a reg classified, I personally wouldn't use do to too many possible issues (& based on the fact I don't normally accept Paypal & if I did I would want to screen who the payment is from first). Now having the option to turn it on & off during the ad being posted, that does make things much easier as long as the seller is changing the status when required.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:57 pm 

I don't like this

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:01 pm 

I understand the monitization aspect, however, I wonder if this is this the beginning of the end of CAM's enthusiast culture?

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:11 pm 
Site Admin

OBI56 wrote:
Quick questions to admin: Does using the Auction format require that the seller submit financial information and get approved before posting an ad? Otherwise, how does CAM collect the $2 posting fee and 2% sales fees? And how is the payment handled?

As with Featured Ads, the listing fee is required before the Auction will post. The 2% closing fee is issued as an invoice on close of auction, but automatically captured if the buyer pays for the auction on CAM itself (using Paypal). Sellers are not responsible for closing fees if the winner never ends up paying.

----------------------------------

I see this topic has generated some lively feedback, which is much appreciated :).

While the concern of someone snatching an item through Buy It Now is valid, the same possibility has always existed with someone else negotiating with the same seller as you. The first guy to arrive at terms that both sides can agree on will buy the item. Buy It Now kind of short circuits that a little. I once was negotiating with a person through Email and I took the night to sleep on it. We had not made a firm commitment to one another, and someone else made a firm offer before I got back to the seller the next day.

There's no need to be too concerned with Buy It Now. We predict it will be a very niche feature used by a smaller set of sellers and buyers. I feel we will see very few Buy It Now ads and if you see them you can and should still make a regular Reply if you so wish.

I do strongly caution buyers to get all their answers and due diligence done before they "Buy It Now" and don't worry about missing out on something.

davidam wrote:
I understand the monitization aspect, however, I wonder if this is this the beginning of the end of CAM's enthusiast culture?

I don't believe it will change the culture of much on CAM, perhaps we are giving too much credit to this feature. We created these features knowing and expecting them to be a very very small % of transactions (in fact, I assumed it would be somewhere like 1-3% of transactions). There are 400 replies and almost 200 ads posted on CAM every day, and we projected maybe 5-10 ads might close using Buy It Now per month. If we then find it is damaging the enthusiast culture on the site we would take steps to resolve that. The more likely scenario is that few people use these features but in those few instances we hope they provide some value.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:11 pm 
Premium User

In practical actuality it'll somewhat destroy "the fun" of buying. Paypal will be happy though.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:40 pm 

daren_p wrote:
Voodoo Funk wrote:

First one across the 'finish line' wins...a buyer would need to be aware that while he is inquiring and hasn't decided he might be beat out by somebody who is a little more decisive than he is!!!

For an auction, sure have a buy it now, you snooze, you loose! But a buy it now option on a reg classified, I personally wouldn't use do to too many possible issues (& based on the fact I don't normally accept Paypal & if I did I would want to screen who the payment is from first). Now having the option to turn it on & off during the ad being posted, that does make things much easier as long as the seller is changing the status when required.

Maybe make it so the Buy it Now button does not appear if you do not accept PayPal? Also, make the Buy it Now button conditional to the sellers acceptance before locking the ad as sold and issuing as Sale Pending message instead.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:43 pm 
Site Admin

daren_p, your desire to screen Buy It Now users is noted, we may need to create such an ability (and the ability to turn down a Buy It Now payment). For the time being, anyone needing such requirements should not turn on Buy It Now.

byefi wrote:
In practical actuality it'll somewhat destroy "the fun" of buying.

Could you expand on why it would destroy the fun in buying? I think at least 95% of all buying on the site will remain unchanged (less than 5% of sales will go through Auctions or Buy It Now).

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:05 pm 
Premium User

admin wrote:
daren_p, your desire to screen Buy It Now users is noted, we may need to create such an ability (and the ability to turn down a Buy It Now payment). For the time being, anyone needing such requirements should not turn on Buy It Now.

byefi wrote:
In practical actuality it'll somewhat destroy "the fun" of buying.

Could you expand on why it would destroy the fun in buying? I think at least 95% of all buying on the site will remain unchanged (less than 5% of sales will go through Auctions or Buy It Now).

Much more than 5% of potential buyers when waiting for a response to buy something will need worry about someone buying it now for example. So the not fun part would be the stress waiting game. I guess sellers could maybe use that somewhat but yeah more stressful really is all.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:11 pm 

Will we now be able to leave negative feedback for deadbeats who fail to pay for 'Buy It Now' bids? I assume that an ad will end when 'Buy It Now' is used, so non-paying bidders would really screw things up for sellers ... possibly costing them sales.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:13 pm 
Site Admin

Quadzilla wrote:
Will we now be able to leave negative feedback for deadbeats who fail to pay for 'Buy It Now' bids? I assume that an ad will end when 'Buy It Now' is used, so non-paying bidders would really screw things up for sellers ... possibly costing them sales.

To complete Buy It Now the buyer pays immediately on CAM using Paypal and the funds are directly deposited into the Seller's account. I know it's not a payment form you accept unfortunately, but it is the only way we can capture payment right away aside from Credit Card, which carries a lot of other complications for sellers.

For Auctions, Bidders who do not pay after winning auctions will receive a special automated negative feedback. Any auctions that fail to sell due to deadbeat bidders can be relisted free of charge.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:16 pm 

admin wrote:
Quadzilla wrote:

To complete Buy It Now the buyer pays immediately on CAM using Paypal and the funds are directly deposited into the Seller's account. I know it's not a payment form you accept unfortunately, but it is the only way we can capture payment right away aside from Credit Card, which carries a lot of other complications for sellers.

For Auctions, Bidders who do not pay after winning auctions will receive a special automated negative feedback. Any auctions that fail to sell due to deadbeat bidders can be relisted free of charge.

Local sales and cash payment it is then! :wink:

Seriously though, I think there should be more than just automated negative feedback, like loss of buying and selling privileges for a time ... permanently for repeat offenders.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next