Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:40 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:03 pm
Posts: 1244
Location: Vancouver, BC, CA
New Featured Ads

Today we are launching the ability to promote your ads on Canuck Audio Mart. The first is called Featured Ads. A Featured ad is shown as a graphical ad at the top of the main homepage, at the top of the Browse All page, at the top of the category (eg Speakers), and also in a special Featured Ads page linked from our homepage and our newsletter. Here's how Featured Ads look:

Image

Featured ads will stay on the homepage for 5 days, and remain at the top of the category for 30 days. They will also be listed in our weekly newsletter that is sent out to 10,000 audiophile buyers and collectors. This is a powerful way to ensure that tens of thousands of buyers see your prioritized ad.

This is one of a series of Paid features we'll be introducing to CAM over the course of the year as we expand our tools to help users get the most out of the site and continue to connect qualified buyers with sellers.

New Highlighted Ads

The second feature is called Highlighted Ads. This feature will highlight your ads in all pages where they are listed including:

  1. Highlighting in the homepage
  2. Highlighting in the search results
  3. Highlighting in the browse all page
  4. Highlighting in Grid and list modes
Here's how Highlighting looks:

Image

And in grid mode on a mobile device:

Image

How to Upgrade Your Ads

You can upgrade your ad as you are posting it. At the bottom of the posting screen look for the upgrade box right above the Place Ad button:

Image

Upgrading Existing ads

You can also upgrade your existing ads. To do so, go to your ads list page and look for the large button beside "Place Ad". This will let you upgrade multiple ads at once. From that page, you can also find the ad you want on your list, and click the down arrow for the upgrade option.

Finally, if you visit an ad directly, you can see a button to upgrade the ad right from within the ad.

We hope you enjoy these new features which will give you more leads and buyers while also helping to support CAM in our continued efforts to improve the site and community.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:07 pm
Posts: 615
Location: Brampton, ON, CA
I have seen this before but I can't quite put my finger on it?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:38 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:03 pm
Posts: 1244
Location: Vancouver, BC, CA
mchase66 wrote:
I have seen this before but I can't quite put my finger on it?


mchase - what do you wish to know specifically? Featured ads and some form of bolding or highlighting are very common addon features for marketplaces. You would have seen this on eBay, Agon, etc.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:07 pm
Posts: 615
Location: Brampton, ON, CA
admin wrote:
mchase66 wrote:
I have seen this before but I can't quite put my finger on it?


mchase - what do you wish to know specifically? Featured ads and some form of bolding or highlighting are very common addon features for marketplaces. You would have seen this on eBay, Agon, etc.


I think it looks awesome, very good job!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:54 am
Posts: 175
Location: London, ON, CA
I like the feature but it is visually quite shocking when looking at the page.

It looks weird having one ad be so much larger than the others. On Kijiji, though an ad may be featured, it doesn't create such a stark visual contrast between that ad and the others (for example the size remains the same but the featured ad appears on the top of the list).

Also, would it be possible to move some things up on the homepage? Mine now looks like this and I now have to scroll down to look at any of the categories.
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2016-04-26 at 11.23.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-04-26 at 11.23.06 PM.png [ 473.06 KiB | Viewed 5643 times ]


-- 27 Apr 2016 03:28 --

Also just for the record, I have no problem with the integration of revenue generating services into the site. My intent is to provide feedback from a longtime daily user.

Cheers,

Adam


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:10 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:03 pm
Posts: 1244
Location: Vancouver, BC, CA
aaasen wrote:
I like the feature but it is visually quite shocking when looking at the page.

It looks weird having one ad be so much larger than the others. On Kijiji, though an ad may be featured, it doesn't create such a stark visual contrast between that ad and the others (for example the size remains the same but the featured ad appears on the top of the list).


Thanks for the feedback, so far we've had excellent feedback on how good these look and some feedback on how hard it is to read. We'll keep monitoring and considering such feedback. Since the feature is so new I am sure we will need to tweak it to balance how it looks with how it helps buyers and sellers.

aaasen wrote:
Also, would it be possible to move some things up on the homepage? Mine now looks like this and I now have to scroll down to look at any of the categories.
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2016-04-26 at 11.23.06 PM.png



Your page has that empty space probably due to an ad blocker or some sort of security software blocking our ads. If you are indeed using an adblocker or another tool to block ads, upgrade yourself to an Ad Free account and that space will disappear altogether. If you disable ad blocking or whatever tool is blocking the ads on the site (something we request of all users since that's the majority of how we pay to maintain the site so that 99% of users can buy and sell for free) then you will not have that empty gap either.

That space can also occur if there are JS problems or your browser is disallowing JS to run on the site. If you are not running any such tools and JS is working fine, it could be a bug. If you don't mind opening up a bug report we can investigate that for you.

PS. If you are indeed using an adblocker there's no harm in letting us know and we don't actively do anything to disallow it at ths time, in fact, it would be valuable for us to know why the ad blocker is leaving a large blank space, so please create a bug report to let us know more about what is going on if that is the case.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:54 am
Posts: 175
Location: London, ON, CA
I was using an adblocker though I have now disabled it as the advertisements on CAM are less invasive than on some other webpages and I am happy to respect the rules of the site.

I still do have the complaint that one shouldn't have to scroll down the page to get to the main functionality the site provides (links to classified lists by category).
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2016-04-27 at 11.09.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-04-27 at 11.09.47 PM.png [ 585.85 KiB | Viewed 5396 times ]


If I must now learn to scroll down every single time I refresh, wish to look at another category, or visit the page before I get to what the majority of users might consider to be "what they are looking for," I consider that a reduction in user friendliness. Just trying to help keep a great site great. Feel free to PM me if you would prefer to discuss further in a non-forum setting.

Adam


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:49 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:03 pm
Posts: 1244
Location: Vancouver, BC, CA
Hi aaasen,

Your feedback is appreciated. You may notice that blue "Import your feedback" box is now gone. We've done some more intelligent detection on that box to remove it after some period. We also tweaked the height of the featured ads to streamline their appearance and tighten them up to use less vertical space. This should help push some of the content higher up on the page to get more of it top of fold.

What resolution is your monitor?

We also have an upcoming update which will bring the entire category menu into a dropdown at the top of the site header, which I think you'll find quite useful. We hope to have that out in the next weeks or a couple of months at most.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:03 am
Posts: 480
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Any chance we could have the option to turn off featured Adds? Not to be a complainer, but I personally find them very irritating and find they make me want to leave the page, rather than drawing me to it.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:45 pm
Posts: 119
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
cryogenie wrote:
Any chance we could have the option to turn off featured Adds? Not to be a complainer, but I personally find them very irritating and find they make me want to leave the page, rather than drawing me to it.

+1


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 3:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:07 pm
Posts: 4501
Location: Welland, ON, CA
HiFiholic wrote:
cryogenie wrote:
Any chance we could have the option to turn off featured Adds? Not to be a complainer, but I personally find them very irritating and find they make me want to leave the page, rather than drawing me to it.

+1
cryogenie wrote:
Any chance we could have the option to turn off featured Adds? Not to be a complainer, but I personally find them very irritating and find they make me want to leave the page, rather than drawing me to it.


There is an option to do just that. It's called an ad free account, but it requires a purchase.

_________________
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get you.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 3:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:42 am
Posts: 2686
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
I don't actually mind the featured or highlighted. Is it the case that only three are shown on any given page visit? This morning, there are only three that show up for me, albeit in different order upon refresh. It's be much better if it were an image carousel that was a bit smaller. And perhaps you could show four or five rather than three...three requires way too much cropping of the images IMO.
Byron
edit: Wow, I just noticed browsing categories that if there is only one featured, then it gets cropped and spread across the page - looks pretty terrible, and if I'd paid for that I'd be pretty pissed actually...just use fixed ratio images and use something close to the original rather than this, please....

_________________
Without music, life would be a mistake"
Friedrich Nietzsche


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 1:13 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:03 pm
Posts: 1244
Location: Vancouver, BC, CA
mantisory wrote:
I don't actually mind the featured or highlighted. Is it the case that only three are shown on any given page visit? This morning, there are only three that show up for me, albeit in different order upon refresh. It's be much better if it were an image carousel that was a bit smaller. And perhaps you could show four or five rather than three...three requires way too much cropping of the images IMO.
Byron
edit: Wow, I just noticed browsing categories that if there is only one featured, then it gets cropped and spread across the page - looks pretty terrible, and if I'd paid for that I'd be pretty pissed actually...just use fixed ratio images and use something close to the original rather than this, please....


Hi mantisory, we'll be tweaking the Featured as we study it. So far its very successful in sending quite a bit more interest to the ads.

We'll probably stop making the carousel take up more width in the categories. Also, it is already an image carousel, do you not see it rotating (we're working on a tool to let users rotate it for them.) Could you send me a screenshot showing how it shows 3 images and cropping them incorrectly? The carousel will show 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 images depending on your browser size.


----------------


There is no option to turn off featured ads from showing, not even "ad free mode" would do so, since it is not a banner advertising but instead a set of CAM classifieds. We may consider allowing users to toggle between the grid carousel and a listing more like the "Recent ads". If you find the featured ads disruptive maybe you could give us some feedback on what changes we could make to it so that they are more appealing while keeping them on the pages in the current locations? (please provide your answer in the feedback and suggestions forum)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:18 am
Posts: 51
Location: Vancouver, BC, CA
Now the left side border bottom section is a big white blank space ?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 10:29 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:03 pm
Posts: 1244
Location: Vancouver, BC, CA
straight shooter wrote:
Now the left side border bottom section is a big white blank space ?


We can't seem to see this white space, could you provide a screenshot of what you see? Thanks!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group