Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:52 pm 
Site Admin

Hi everyone,

We've made some big changes to the Free User and Premium User account limits today to firm up our rules and automate the process. Please read this announcement carefully as it may affect your usage of the classifieds section of the site.

As has been the case for over 10 years, CAM is free for casual users and hobbyists who need to sell a few items a year. Members who need to list many items or who do more than casual selling are asked to upgrade to a Premium User account to help support the site. It is partly this support of users that allows CAM to operate, and continue to maintain and improve itself.

For many many years we had to manually upgrade accounts that we found went above the casual user limits, or ask users to self upgrade when they surpassed those limits, and while this system "worked" it was very time consuming and confusing to users. These are exciting times for CAM because we've continued to grow and improve, and looking forward we have many things we're hoping to achieve, chief of which are improved security, improved usability, and improved usefulness for our users. All of this is made possible by the financial support of sponsors, dealers, and Premium Users. Today we've just launched a fully automated system to handle the Free and Premium User limits. This will add consistency to the request that higher volume users support the site, while allowing casual users to continue listing unimpeded.

The limits for a regular free account are as follows:

• Maximum 8 classifieds listed per month
  • Maximum 60 classifieds listed per year.
  • Maximum 30 classifieds active at any time in the year.
  • Wanted ads are always excluded from limits

Once those limits are reached, users are asked to upgrade to a Premium User account before they can post more classifieds.

We've created new tools to help show users how many free classified posts they've used up for the year and for the month so you always know how you stand and can manage your usage accordingly.

Right now, many users who have been going under the radar will find that they have usage patterns that would bump up against these limits. In fact, many heavy users even before launch have exceeded the 60 classifieds per year limit, and as a courtesy we've only counted 45 of the classifieds that were listed in the past year.

Tips on making the most of the limits without upgrading

For users who do get caught up by these limits there are a few tricks to keep in mind:

1. Every chance you get, relist an ad instead of creating a new ad. Relisted ads will count for the month, but do not count towards your yearly limit.
  2. Some users like to "bump" classifieds by turning them off and posting new ones. If you do this you will hit your monthly and yearly limits very quickly. Instead, set your ad to expire in 30 days, and relist it every month.
  3. Make the highest quality ads possible so the listings sell quickly and you don't have to use up your quota listing new classifieds. Include high quality photos, a good and accurate description, and a fair price.

New Premium Limits and new Premium+ User

In addition to standardizing the post limits, we have introduced a new level of limits for a regular Premium User. Formerly a Premium User was effectively not limited in teh number of listings they could post per year, but this has now been changed so that Premium Users have higher limits than Free Users, and a new User level that I am calling Premium+ has even higher limits. Premium+ is a level for non-commercial users who truly need to post a very large number of listings per day, per month, or per year.

The New Premium User limits are:

1. 5 posts per day (just like a Free User)
  2. Unlimited Software listings per month
  3. 20 hardware listings per month
  4. 180 hardware listings per year

The Premium+ User costs $150/year and allows:

1. Maximum 10 classifieds listed per day
  2. Unlimited classifieds per month or year

How to check your usage

To help you manage your usage on the CAM Classifieds we've added some new visual trackers that will show you how many classifieds you've used in the current month and the past year. You can see this information when you hover over your username on the main site, or when you visit your My Ads page.

Users who upgrade to Premium User status: Thank You

Over the years we've had varying reactions to the Premium User program. Some users are happy to support the site and others are not so happy to do so. The old system was too abrupt and inadequate to ask users to support us when their activity surpassed a casual user, and we feel this new system will be much more informative and user friendly.

Please keep in mind that an operation the size and scope of CAM requires your valuable patronage in order to continue operating and in order to finance improvements. Even if you are not reaching the limits for your account you can upgrade to a Premium User status at any time in order to support the site. We're working hard at improving the site and community and have a lot of things we wish to accomplish over the next few years, so we are humbled and grateful for your support.

Edit April 13 2016: After much consideration and due to the changing cost environment or running CAM, we have decided to increase the cost of the Premium+ user to $150CAD / yr.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:22 pm 

Thanks for the notice.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:38 pm 

This seems reasonable :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:42 pm 
Premium User

I've just upgraded to a premium + user account. I paid the yearly fee for my standard premium account on Dec 16. 2015 so is there any way to put that amount towards extending my + account expiration? I like supporting the site but it seems silly that I just spent $50 for premium from Dec 16-Jan 21 and another $100 tonight.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:36 pm 
Site Admin

James_W wrote:
I've just upgraded to a premium + user account. I paid the yearly fee for my standard premium account on Dec 16. 2015 so is there any way to put that amount towards extending my + account expiration? I like supporting the site but it seems silly that I just spent $50 for premium from Dec 16-Jan 21 and another $100 tonight.

Hi James_W,

Thank you for your support. The system is supposed to prorate the amount so that you are extended a year from today, but discounted from the unused Premium time left (in your case, around a month). We'll try to see what is going on tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:57 pm 
Premium User

Hi Admin, what if as a current premium account holder I have significantly scaled back my usage am I able to change back to a casual user?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:58 pm 

I think if you don't want us to "bump" classifieds by turning them off and posting new ones make a 2 separate columns. One for free users and one for dealers. In cd and vinyl section every day we have 10 dealers who releasing 50 ads.So if I released 1 LP for sale in 2 days my ad in page 4. No one check ads that far. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:47 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Looks good to me/us. There never was anything such as a free lunch. It's only fair to pull some weight to make and keep one of the finest audio-centric buy/sell sites viable.
I'll likely be paying for a Premium User account when the month-end cheque rolls in. Even if I would rarely ever use it. $50 bucks a year ain't much to be part of CAM. Isn't that, like, 13.7c a day?

jac

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:46 am 

srock_00 wrote:
No one check ads that far. :roll:

Yes they do. Plus people use the search utility a lot. Your ads don't always have to stay on the first page in order to be successful.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:32 am 

Sounds good. It benefits casual and heavy users at the same time! Good on you CAM. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:29 am 

Seems very fair. Thanks for the heads up and for the tips!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:43 am 

I like the change. A few questions:

1) Is it based on a calendar year?
2) Is the new system back dated to Jan 1, 2016
3) Will a "current year" total be displays? (other than in interesting stat, I don't see how having last year's total will help user's manage their current in-year usage

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:39 am 
Premium User

angust63 wrote:
srock_00 wrote:

Yes they do. Plus people use the search utility a lot. Your ads don't always have to stay on the first page in order to be successful.

Yea, and if this guy hadn't noticed, there is something on the CAM site called a "SEARCH" function! :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:44 am 

This is more than fair.

Just a comment: I feel that 30 active ads ad any given time is a sure giveaway of someone "in business"...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:00 am 

AVguy wrote:
angust63 wrote:
srock_00 wrote:

Yea, and if this guy hadn't noticed, there is something on the CAM site called a "SEARCH" function! :roll:

I'm more of a buyer than a seller, but I will say that 'search' only helps if I know what I am looking for on this site.

More often, it is the fact that something is freshly listed and I think 'oh, that looks interesting' that I will go look at it.

Smaller items will likely have more turnover than big items, and it seems the current system is based on quantity not quality.

Maybe next round, there should be a separate section for items under $20 (helps out the cd sellers) and perhaps premium membership should also consider adding total dollar value of sales.

A guy selling cd's will take a long time to earn the premium membership 'dues' but hit the limit of free postings quickly.

Perhaps a dollar value in sales should require a bump to Premium as well. Its easy if you're selling pricey items to recoup the premium dues in one or two sales.