Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:22 am 
Site Admin

New Feature: Mobile Mode!

We have an new feature on Canuck Audio Mart launching today to bring a mobile optimized experience for everyone accessing the site via smartphone or other mobile device.  This new Mobile Mode is months in the making, and was designed with the intent to be easier to use, easier to read and more enjoyable to browse.

You don't need to do anything to enable this new mobile optimized site - Canuck Audio Mart will automatically detect your device and show the appropriate mode.  And if you don't like the mobile optmized mode you can opt out of it by clicking a button at the bottom of the site.

So what are the key features of the Mobile Mode?

All pages in the classifieds will render in a mobile optimized mode when viewed on a smartphone or other mobile device

The same pages and URLs that you visit on desktop will fit a mobile device perfectly.  This means you can send any page or share any classified ad with anyone without worrying about whether they will see the desktop or mobile site.

Mobile Pages Optimized For Useability

Some sites will focus on making things fit into a mobile device but neglect that mobile is a unique medium because of the limited space.   We decided to try to make pages easier to read by removing clutter and designing each page to present clear information with large touch points.  The result is that pages are cleaner and may have less information than the desktop equivalent, but we think you'll find the user experience much improved.

Pages can still be pinch zoomed in your device if you have trouble seeing all the elements, and if things seem small or hard to use please let us know and we'll keep improving this new mode.

All new, touch optimized photo viewing in classifieds

Browsing photos in classifieds is beautifully optimized for touch devices.  
Try visiting a classified, swipe left or right to select a thumbnail, and then touch it to have it open full screen.  Features include:

• Swipe left or right to move from image to image
  • Double tap or pinch to zoom, then scroll around the zoomed image with your finger.
  • Swipe up or hit the close "X" button to exit images.
I think you'll find the new classified image browser a joy to use.

Advanced Search At your Fingertips

The new Mobile Mode allows you to perform advanced searches right from the header bar.  Click the search icon and then hit the options button to pull up the advanced search.

Many Actions and Buttons Redesigned So They Don't Refresh the page

Many actions like replying to an ad, adding an ad to your Watchlist, and Hotlisting a user were designed to act as toggles like an App so that they won't refresh the page.  This makes for a faster, seamless experience.

On pages where there is more information to provide help or explanation about features will have Help buttons that load up information in popup boxes, again without reloading the page.

Browse "Ad Free"

Users can now upgrade to an Ad Free account to browse the site free of banner ads.  An Ad Free account is a subscription service that costs only $25 / year and both the desktop and mobile optimized sites become banner ad free.   This will speed up your mobile experience substantially while also directly supporting the site.

If you are already a Premium User or Dealer, the yearly Ad Free subscription is only $15.

Please support our efforts

We rarely make a direct appeal to users to help support the site, however, we'll do that today.  We decided to take a huge step forwards with Mobile Mode and have invested and will continue to invest considerable resources into Mobile mode and other improvements to CAM.  Unfortunately, CAM relies heavily on advertisers and sponsors to support its operations, and mobile advertising is a lot less mature and thus less viable than regular advertising. We anticipate this will hurt us in the long run, but we couldn't hold off a mobile optimised site much longer because it makes a huge difference to the user experience.

So what we're asking you to do is if you enjoy using mobile and you want to improve your experience there further, please consider supporting the site via Ad Free subscription or Premim User subscription. Mobile users especially will benefit greatly from the official Ad Free mode with improved page speeds and less clutter on the site.

Upgrade today to Ad Free by clicking here.

New Feature: Filter by Max/Min Price

While improving Mobile Mode we also made a small change to the advanced search and browse filters.  We previously allowed you to select a price range to filter (eg $0-100) but this type of filtering left much to be desired.  So now we've upgrade this to allow you to input a minimum and maximum price to filter.

Please note that the forums themselves do not have a mobile theme yet. We'll be investigating our options there in the coming months.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:10 pm 

I really like the mobile. Other sites could learn from this. :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:54 pm 

Overall, I like the look of Mobile mode but one thing keeps me from using it. I'm probably missing something but how do I get to the previous/next page ( 41-80 ) without scrolling back up to the top?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:00 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Gibson,

Could you describe which page you are referring to where you want to go to the next/previous page? is it when browsing a list of ads? Or when looking at a single ad, or performing a search? Somewhere else entirely?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:32 am 

Hi, I'm an idiot. I just scrolled down to the end of a 40 item classifieds page and the links to other pages were there. I don't know why I persisted in not seeing them before. Sorry for any bother.

The mobile mode is easier to read with my old eyes and phone. Thanks for the good work.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:48 am 
Site Admin

Ok thanks for updating us on this. I asked for the exact pages because then I can visit them and see whether we missed adding pagination to them. As far as I know we have pagination on all pages that need them.