Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:52 am 
Site Admin

sthomas1049 wrote:
Thank you for the clarification. I didn’t notice this new feature until yesterday after I had logged in. I do physically log out of CAM if I am not participating in the forums or responding to ad’s. And my browser is set to flush all cookies, history and cache upon exit. However checking my profile today without logging in it stated that last seen was today - hence my curiosity as to how it is tracked. Is there an option to turn this on or off? I understand the value of it but TBH it also gives a sense that big brother is watching.

Our system currently considers if someone showed up in the past 24hrs then it is "Today". We could potentially tweak that to say "In the past 24hrs".

I'd be curious to hear more opinions about this "big brother is watching" feeling and get a better idea of any concerns with it versus its benefits. Do you consider the site to be Big Brother, or other fellow CAM members? I ask because the site is always "watching" and always aware of your last login time, so whether we show that data or not, it is watching. How do other members feel about this? I find the Last Seen time incredibly useful in other marketplaces and gives me some insight into the seller's level of activity on the site (which I equate to how engaged / diligent / invested they are as a seller or buyer).

If the unanimous feeling is negative, we might consider removing the "Today" aspect but keep the This Week and This Month aspects, which gives less specific information but still adds some value.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:49 pm 

admin wrote:
Our system currently considers if someone showed up in the past 24hrs then it is "Today". We could potentially tweak that to say "In the past 24hrs".

I'd be curious to hear more opinions about this "big brother is watching" feeling and get a better idea of any concerns with it versus its benefits. Do you consider the site to be Big Brother, or other fellow CAM members? I ask because the site is always "watching" and always aware of your last login time, so whether we show that data or not, it is watching. How do other members feel about this? I find the Last Seen time incredibly useful in other marketplaces and gives me some insight into the seller's level of activity on the site (which I equate to how engaged / diligent / invested they are as a seller or buyer).

If the unanimous feeling is negative, we might consider removing the "Today" aspect but keep the This Week and This Month aspects, which gives less specific information but still adds some value.

Fully aware the site is always watching. Or better put, “can” watch. Perhaps my statement of Big Brother was a little too forward. Within the forums there is the option to hide ones online status for they may feel their browsing habits should not be in the public view. Or perhaps they have another reason, but never the less having the site indicate publicly when a user last visited without taking part on the forums or the marketplace somewhat contradicts that option.

Also, contrary to what I mentioned before I do not see any value in knowing a user’s last visit. One has to log in in order to place an ad or respond to an ad therefore resetting their last visit status to that date. It does give a true not indication of that sellers or buyers engagement on the site.

Online privacy is a very touchy subject as of late. At the very least I think this feature should be user controlled. But that’s just my opinion. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:31 pm 

sthomas1049 wrote:
admin wrote:

Fully aware the site is always watching. Or better put, “can” watch. Perhaps my statement of Big Brother was a little too forward. Within the forums there is the option to hide ones online status for they may feel their browsing habits should not be in the public view. Or perhaps they have another reason, but never the less having the site indicate publicly when a user last visited without taking part on the forums or the marketplace somewhat contradicts that option.

Also, contrary to what I mentioned before I do not see any value in knowing a user’s last visit. One has to log in in order to place an ad or respond to an ad therefore resetting their last visit status to that date. It does give a true not indication of that sellers or buyers engagement on the site.

Online privacy is a very touchy subject as of late. At the very least I think this feature should be user controlled. But that’s just my opinion. Thanks!

**I would prefer something a little more general like; has been browsing or online in the last 30 days.
One question I have is that if I import my EBay feedback, will my hard earned CAM feedback still be shown and counted?

Great job, great idea...Rocker77

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:37 pm 
Site Admin

rocker77 wrote:
One question I have is that if I import my EBay feedback, will my hard earned CAM feedback still be shown and counted?

CAM feedback remains the primary feedback we will feature and will be most prominent in pages where possible.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:15 pm 

admin wrote:
rocker77 wrote:

CAM feedback remains the primary feedback we will feature and will be most prominent in pages where possible.

I just can't get the eBay import feature to work.
Here is a thumbnail screenshot of the error I am receiving, after I click on "I Agree" on eBay.
Jason.

EDIT: Strangely enough it worked fine from my iPad.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:23 am 

panasonicguy wrote:
admin wrote:
rocker77 wrote:

I just can't get the eBay import feature to work.
Here is a thumbnail screenshot of the error I am receiving, after I click on "I Agree" on eBay.
Jason.

EDIT: Strangely enough it worked fine from my iPad.

Try disabling ad-block plus, or try from a different browser - ie, IE. ;)