Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:01 pm 
Site Admin

New Feature: Import verified eBay Feedback Ratings!

We have a new feature on CanuckAudioMart that launched this week: eBay Feedback importing!!

In line with our mission to keep CAM as safe and helpful as possible, we've developed the ability for users to verify their ownership of eBay accounts and import their eBay Feedback ratings right onto CAM.
This is a safe, and easy way to prove your identity and verify ownership of an eBay account, and may be especially beneficial for users who have not yet established their Feedback on CAM itself.

Here's how you do it:
  1. Click on the Import From eBay button on your account settings page.
  2. You will be taken to the official eBay site. Sign-in if necessary.
  3. Allow Canuck Audio Mart to access your eBay profile by clicking I agree.
  4. Done! Your eBay feedback score will now be shown on Canuck Audio Mart!

This is a completely safe way to verify your account:

• You are not giving us your eBay password - you only sign into eBay itself.
  • You are authorizing eBay to let us integrate with their database to draw this information, but we have no ability to modify your account in any way.
  • USAM has signed up as a registered, authorized data partner of eBay in order to do this integration, once you connect, this information is acquired through official eBay authorized interfaces.

New Feature: Improved and More Informative Profile Stats

In addition to eBay Feedback, we now show improved and more detailed member stats in a user's profile.

The new information we're showing helps give you an idea of how established and potentially trustworthy a user is on the site.  Information such as how many forum posts they have, how many ads they have listed on the site since they joined, how long they have been a member for, and how many views their ads have accumulated over time.

We feel this new information is a great step to improve the visibility and trust you might have in established members of the site, and this is an ongoing area we will improve in the coming months.

See All Listings in Our Categories This Week
Below are all our categories, come see what's new or browse the categories below.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:12 pm 
Premium User

Question?

Is this only for USAM members and, if so, why is it not valid for CAM users too?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:25 pm 

OBI56 wrote:
Question?

Is this only for USAM members and, if so, why is it not valid for CAM users too?

Great question,I am curious too.
Thanks
George

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:29 pm 
Site Admin

It's for all members, but when I'm cutting and pasting the same thing 12 times mistakes happen in some of the text :P

We do appear to have a configuration error that is affecting the ability to connect properly. We're working to get this fixed ASAP!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:27 pm 

You may need to enable the Silverlight plugin in your browser. I used Firefox and it was blocked during my first try. Once I was logged into EBay with Silverlight enabled, the process very smooth.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:43 pm 

angust63 wrote:
You may need to enable the Silverlight plugin in your browser. I used Firefox and it was blocked during my first try. Once I was logged into EBay with Silverlight enabled, the process very smooth.

Connected my profile via iPad with no issues.

Looks great, Chris. Good job!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:05 am 

angust63 wrote:

I had no trouble doing so using Google Chrome. But, one concern I have is of security. Is it possible for CAM to now have access to my eBay information and accounts. I just wouldn't want my information to fall through the cracks and have my eBay hacked.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:07 am 

therealco wrote:
angust63 wrote:

I had no trouble doing so using Google Chrome. But, one concern I have is of security. Is it possible for CAM to now have access to my eBay information and accounts. I just wouldn't want my information to fall through the cracks and have my eBay hacked.

No, if you read the admin's note above, it states, specifically, that this isn't possible.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:13 am 

justpete wrote:
therealco wrote:
angust63 wrote:

No, if you read the admin's note above, it states, specifically, that this isn't possible.

I know. But, I felt safe giving the government my information before they had a security breach. I wanted to simply question going into eBay through the CAM site. Can never be too safe...

I generally do feel that CAM is a safe place. I just wondered about this.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:32 am 

justpete wrote:

Connected my profile via iPad with no issues.

Looks great, Chris. Good job!

worked for me too. Very easy process through iPad.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:27 am 
Site Admin

therealco wrote:
But, one concern I have is of security. Is it possible for CAM to now have access to my eBay information and accounts. I just wouldn't want my information to fall through the cracks and have my eBay hacked.

These are very valid concerns, I'll clarify and explain in more detail what the risks and non-risks are, you will have to determine what level of tolerance for the risks you have, but I believe this a very low risk connection:

• The connection established between CAM and eBay does not give us the ability to change your account in any way (ie we cannot edit your profile, post ads, edit ads, etc). It is a purely "read only" access that allows us to get your feedback in an easy to read format. The information we can retrieve is only one step above what a person would be able to do by visiting your eBay profile using a browser and browse around your profile pages, but it IS one step above so there is some private information that might not be revealed on the eBay site itself that we theoretically could query.
  • At no point is your eBay password passed to CAM, or passed through CAM, so we have no idea what your eBay password is, and we cannot and do not store what we don't know about. We only store a token that eBay gives back to us that represents our permission to access that one account.
  • If CAM were compromised such that your eBay authorisation information stored on CAM were to fall into the wrong hands, they cannot hack, login or do anything to your eBay account. They might be able to get your eBay email if they wrote a program to use the token and pair it with our eBay private authorisation key.
  • In most of these types of authorisation, there are 2 (or even 3) keys required to access the information. Think of it like a safety deposit box - the 2 keys are stored in different places and held by 2 different people. When you read about governments losing Hard Drives full of information you are reading about situations where the information is stored in one place - that's very typical of profile information. But when it comes to authentication keys, you typically have one key stored in the database, and the other key is stored elsewhere. In typical web hacking scenarios, it is the first key that is most commonly compromised. This first key is usually stored in the same virtual location as other things like account information, but the 2nd key is stored in our own code. So depending on the breach of security on CAM itself, its possible that a person gets only 1 key, or both keys. They would need both keys for them to even get access to your eBay information, and all they'd be getting is read only access to a bunch of mostly public information on your account.
  • In spite of all the above, all activity on CAM, or even the web carries risk. I believe the risk of the eBay connection is relatively low, but that doesn't mean it is as safe as you might like. You will have to make that decision yourself.

Given that we don't really get much special access to your eBay account, one might wonder why bother to require an authenticated connection in the first place: we do this to verify identity, and to use officially recommended eBay systems to import your feedback. Anyone can claim they are the owner of an account on eBay, Amazon, Agon, Etsy, etc. But only someone who has actual log in access to that eBay account can make that claim officially here on CAM.

That's one reason why it has taken this long to integrate accounts and why we do not (yet) allow you to indicate who you are on other sites - our biggest hurdle is a means to verify that you actually own the account so that an unscrupulous user cannot claim to be someone they are not.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:19 pm 

admin wrote:
New Feature: Import verified eBay Feedback Ratings!

We have a new feature on CanuckAudioMart that launched this week: eBay Feedback importing!!

Superb idea! I've often passed on some nice pieces and potentially sending money into the abyss due to zero feedback

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:24 am 

admin wrote:

The new information we're showing helps give you an idea of how established and potentially trustworthy a user is on the site.  Information such as how many forum posts they have, how many ads they have listed on the site since they joined, how long they have been a member for, and how many views their ads have accumulated over time.

We feel this new information is a great step to improve the visibility and trust you might have in established members of the site, and this is an ongoing area we will improve in the coming months.

How is the “Last Seen” feature tracked? Is this by IP or successful log on?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:19 am 
Site Admin

sthomas1049 wrote:
admin wrote:

How is the “Last Seen” feature tracked? Is this by IP or successful log on?

This is the last time that user was actively seen on the site. We can only "see" that user if they are logged in and have landed on a page on the site. Keep in mind some users are always logged in, so "Last Seen" is not the same as "last logged in" (the act of typing in the username/password), but it is the last time the user was on a page on the site. For example, if I log into my account yesterday morning, and do nothing, my last login time was yesterday. If I visit a thread this morning, then, even without log in, my last seen time is today because I am still logged in.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:43 am 

Thank you for the clarification. I didn’t notice this new feature until yesterday after I had logged in. I do physically log out of CAM if I am not participating in the forums or responding to ad’s. And my browser is set to flush all cookies, history and cache upon exit. However checking my profile today without logging in it stated that last seen was today - hence my curiosity as to how it is tracked. Is there an option to turn this on or off? I understand the value of it but TBH it also gives a sense that big brother is watching.