Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:35 am 
Site Admin

Whitelists

If your email provider supports whitelisting, add CAM/USAM to your whitelist.

Use a provider with good deliverability

In general, Hotmail, Yahoo, and AOL are more likely to not receive mail than Gmail.

Never Mark CAM Email as Spam

CAM & USAM use a paid email delivery service to improve delivery to your email address. Part of being a responsible website and responsible email source is to follow a set of "Best Practices" for email etiquette which includes respecting when users mark email as "spam" or complain about an email from our CAM/USAM.

What this means is that our email delivery service automatically stops sending you emails when you mark any email from us as spam. This is not something immediately obvious to users, but all major email providers such as Hotmail, Yahoo, Cogeco, AOL, Gmail, Telus, Bell, and many others do not like to see continued emails from sources that have been marked as Spam by a user. These are not our rules, they are the rules that ISPs require us to follow in order to ensure general deliverability to all of our users.

The most common complaint we see now with people not receiving emails from us, is that they have previously marked some email from CAM/USAM as spam. When this happens, all future emails are dropped and no delivery to you is made ever again.

To avoid this problem, never use the SPAM or COMPLAINT reports on any emails sent from CAM, even if the email appears to be sent through CAM by a spammer, fraudulent user, or otherwise an annoying user. The Spam or Complaint report reflects on CAM's ability to deliver to you!

But I get Spam Replies to My Classifieds!

The reality is that there are a number of users who might try to spam you through replying to your classifieds on CAM/USAM. Instead of reporting the email as spam on your email provider, use the CAM report link instead. Every CAM classified reply contains a link at the bottom to let you report the sender. This does several things when used:

1. It alerts our moderators so they know that there's a spammer, or fraudulent user on our site
  2. It allows us to completely block this spammer, so they can never approach you, or anyone else on CAM.
  3. It allows our moderators to remove that reply completely from all accounts, so that it is no longer in your reply history on the site, and not listed in your ad.
  4. It allows us to do all of the above without affecting delivery to you!

What to do if you can't receive our emails

1. USAM/CAM has a My Responses feature on the top right corner of every classified page. Just click on that link to see a list of all responses to your classifieds. While not a replacement for email notifications, if you check regularly you won't miss out on reply opportunities. You can read more about My Responses in our announcement here.
  2. Check your spam folder to see if emails from us are going to your Spam. If you find them there, make sure to tell your mail program that these emails are not spam!
  3. Contact us and let us know, we have a tool that can check if your email is blocking us.

Additional Help with Receiving Emails

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:43 pm 

Interesting. I was one of the members who was suddenly not receiving e-mail notifications anymore recently, although I am now, which has happened a few times over the tenure of my membership and I use G-mail and have never marked any e-mail from CAM as spam, so this must be a different issue altogether.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:36 pm 

good sound wrote:
Interesting. I was one of the members who was suddenly not receiving e-mail notifications anymore recently, although I am now, which has happened a few times over the tenure of my membership and I use G-mail and have never marked any e-mail from CAM as spam, so this must be a different issue altogether.

I have not received any messages from CAM at all in the past several months. I have never marked as spam either. I only know if someone PMs me by logging in.

I don't use Gmail as it would be to much pain to change all my Email.

Very frustrating.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:34 pm 
Site Admin

I think it is very easy to forget when you mark email as spam and this is a very natural thing to have happen, so I don't think its unusual that our users might be doing this and not even remember later on - we intend to create tools to help reduce this problem.

Our records show that MikeChurchward, you marked an email from us as spam on July 28th, 2012. I have removed you from our block list so you can start to receive email again.

good sound - your account is fine. I suspect those times you didn't receive emails might be from the forum when bugs occur. The latest occurrence is last week when we changed our email account passwords and forgot to update the CAM forums to use the new password, thus preventing CAM's forums from sending any emails altogether.

--------------

As I mentioned above, it is very easy to mark something as spam without understanding the consequences it has for your CAM account (and for CAM's reputation) and we understand it is frustrating when it happens. We intend on releasing several tools in the coming weeks to do the following:

• Let users know if their emails are bouncing or refusing to accept our emails with a notice at top of the main section of CAM/USAM.
  • Allow users to reset their blocked status, so that CAM can start to email them once again.
  • Let users easily access a complete list of classifieds replies, both sent and received. Right now this feature only works if you have unread responses, we intend to make it a regularly used feature with upgraded functionality.

In the meantime, please keep in mind that ISPs are getting increasingly vigilant and stringent with their anti-spam policies. If CAM were to send you emails and you mark them as spam and we keep sending you emails, the ISPs will start to mark CAM as potentially hostile sources of email. This could lead to all users of that specific ISP not receiving any further emails from us, and once a domain is marked as a spammer it can be very troublesome (perhaps impossible) to recuperate that reputation with those ISPs. With that in mind, please remember not to mark our emails as spam. I know some users might be tempted to do this if they want to stop receiving Notifications from the forum for instance, without bothering to do it the proper way (by unsubscribing via the forum), but this type of user habit is very damaging to CAM's ability to send to other users, and we have to all work together on this.

Thanks!