Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/

Blocking specific members from asking questions for an ad
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=47865
Page 3 of 3

Author:  hollinger [ Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:25 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Blocking specific members from asking questions for an a

Why is anyone protesting this? Are they afraid of being blocked? Is this a tacit admission of being annoying?

Author:  Dave47 [ Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:01 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Blocking specific members from asking questions for an a

Looking at this from a potential buyer's perspective I get equally annoyed when the description in an ad is inaccurate but only after asking questions does it become evident. For example "works perfectly", is in the ad but only after asking questions it becomes clear that the seller doesn't really know the full functionality of what he is selling.

I've driven to someone's home to see a "fully functioning tuner" only to discover that it doesn't tune in an FM station in stereo. Asking specific questions via email ahead of time can avoid wasting both the seller's and buyer's time.

If a seller is not willing to answer questions then it sets a red flag for me.

Author:  Tutone [ Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:09 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Blocking specific members from asking questions for an a

Totally agree with Dave47, a lot of flippers don't have a good grasp of what they are selling, some don't even unpack the box, just use the same info they were given when they bought it. So when you say "buyer beware" the only thing the buyer can do is ask questions, and the only stupid question is the one you don't ask... sometimes you may go in with the best intentions of purchasing and than Wham... another unit pops up that is even better so off you go, and too bad for the seller... it is a buyers market....
(Hypocrite time)
The only question I will not answer is "What is your lowest price? Now that is a stupid question, my lowest price is the highest price I can sell it for....if I am asking $2000, my lowest price is $2000 until someone convinces me otherwise...!!!

Author:  davidchen [ Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:14 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Blocking specific members from asking questions for an a

Dave47 wrote:
Looking at this from a potential buyer's perspective I get equally annoyed when the description in an ad is inaccurate but only after asking questions does it become evident. For example "works perfectly", is in the ad but only after asking questions it becomes clear that the seller doesn't really know the full functionality of what he is selling.

I've driven to someone's home to see a "fully functioning tuner" only to discover that it doesn't tune in an FM station in stereo. Asking specific questions via email ahead of time can avoid wasting both the seller's and buyer's time.

If a seller is not willing to answer questions then it sets a red flag for me.


I agree.

The only time some seller at CAM is happy is if buyer drives down to his house, pays cash, picks up item site unseen for triple the inflated asking price.

Grow a pair, it takes 2 seconds to delete a stupid question and not that much longer to firmly say no. Bonus if reply is polite. As a buyer, some of the sellers are worse than Kijjiji but at an inflated price.

I'm not a dealer or flipper and very seldom sell my gear. Some seller would like to make CAM as their own personal store. There's probably a reason why their own store is doing not so well and they need a place like CAM to move their gear.

Author:  ottguit [ Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:29 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Blocking specific members from asking questions for an a

Dave47 wrote:
I've driven to someone's home to see a "fully functioning tuner" only to discover that it doesn't tune in an FM station in stereo. Asking specific questions via email ahead of time can avoid wasting both the seller's and buyer's time.
.


I'm wondering if that issue is only because the tuner was in a bad reception area of his room, or didn't have the Antenna hooked up?
Ott.

Author:  Quadzilla [ Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:37 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Blocking specific members from asking questions for an a

hollinger wrote:
Why is anyone protesting this? Are they afraid of being blocked? Is this a tacit admission of being annoying?


+100

Author:  Dave47 [ Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:46 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Blocking specific members from asking questions for an a

ottguit wrote:
Dave47 wrote:
I've driven to someone's home to see a "fully functioning tuner" only to discover that it doesn't tune in an FM station in stereo. Asking specific questions via email ahead of time can avoid wasting both the seller's and buyer's time.
.


I'm wondering if that issue is only because the tuner was in a bad reception area of his room, or didn't have the Antenna hooked up?
Ott.



No. That was the first thing to try. Ensure there is a strong signal.

However you are not seeing the forest for the trees. This was just an example.

Author:  Quadzilla [ Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:56 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Blocking specific members from asking questions for an a

Dave47 wrote:
ottguit wrote:
Dave47 wrote:
I've driven to someone's home to see a "fully functioning tuner" only to discover that it doesn't tune in an FM station in stereo. Asking specific questions via email ahead of time can avoid wasting both the seller's and buyer's time.
.


I'm wondering if that issue is only because the tuner was in a bad reception area of his room, or didn't have the Antenna hooked up?
Ott.




No. That was the first thing to try. Ensure there is a strong signal.

However you are not seeing the forest for the trees. This was just an example.



That is the problem with dealing with a gear flipper. This particular flipper had probably just plucked it out of a dumpster ("one of my favourite pieces in my collection"), spritzed it with a bit of Windex ("fully-serviced by a retired technician who prefers to remain anonymous"), plugged it in to see if it powered-up and tuned-in the local FM station ("fully-tested") and did a Google search to come up with his price ("you won't find a better deal on CAM"). Deal with flippers at your own risk.

Page 3 of 3 All times are UTC - 8 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/