Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:15 am 

Hi all,
1st post but long time lurker.
Excellent site to view items for sale which are hard to find anywhere else.
Is it possible or does it exist a 'completed listing for item' such as they do on e-bay, so that it may offer an idea to those that are interested in an item as to have an idea what they go for?
I only ask as I am interested in buying a Pioneer PL-90 turntable (to complete my Pioneer reference system) which is probably only available on your side of the pond ( I am from the U.K.) and there have been a couple available recently via hifi shark, one currently in Germany for $800 US, and I just missed one on the Japanese auction site that went for $864 US, and I believe there have been a couple on here that went for similar, but I have no way of knowing how much they went for, I only ask as there is currently one on this site but the seller wants $2500 CDN :shock: , does it mean there is little supply and a lot of demand that can justify the asking price?
My second question is that I put a wanted ad for the Pioneer PL-90 turntable in the UK section, so do you in Canada and the U.S.A see that same wanted ad?
Apologies for the long post and thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:32 am 

Those 2 sales provide you with a basis for determining a true market value. You can always make an offer based on that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:47 am 

Also don't forget the North American market units operate on 60 Hz vs 50 in the UK.

You will require a transformer to use a 60Hz model.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:58 am 

Not to be a wet blanket, but the UK is home to a number of fine turntable manufacturers (that would be compatible with your electrical system); even more if you broaden that to the EU. I suppose that the PL-90 might have a certain hipster cool factor, but I can't imagine that it is worth the price. What is the fascination with it? Have you actually heard one, or is it just the looks?

Here is a similar thread to your post ... viewtopic.php?f=25&t=47052

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:47 am 

You can do a search in google by typing the model number of the item that you want followed by site:canuckaudiomart.com

CAM is an amazing tool for all of us.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:33 am 

There are some sellers here who ask ridiculous prices, and continue to post the same ads dozens of times, sometimes even over the space of years.

Their prices bear no relation to the 'going rates' for the items they (attempt to) sell, and are more than likely fishing for suckers and/or the truly desperate who just have to have that particular item, no matter the cost.

Searching Hifishark's 'Sold/Expired' listings will reveal these patterns, while also showing patterns of actual sales of the same item (ie. the ones that don't get re-posted time after time). You can even specify that you only want to search Canuck Audio Mart, etc. However, the Audio Mart family of sites do not currently offer an equivalent service themselves.

IMO, the seller in this case is out to lunch on their price. Sellers like that may well expect to realize their obscene asking rate, and are generally not worth the bother in my experience. But, as others have pointed out, it may be owrthwhile to reach out to such vendors with an offer closer to the average selling price, maybe briefly explaining your rationale.

To your other question, I believe there's an option to 'Show ads from other Audio Marts' along with the list of your country's ads - at least such an option exists here on CAM. It's a checkbox above the list of ads on the main page, just below or adjacent to the 'Filter' drop-down boxes.

Best of luck in your search!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:28 am 

racecars wrote:
Also don't forget the North American market units operate on 60 Hz vs 50 in the UK.

You will require a transformer to use a 60Hz model.

Thanks, I already have one with my current deck which is a JVC QL-Y55F, so no problem.

Quadzilla wrote:
Not to be a wet blanket, but the UK is home to a number of fine turntable manufacturers (that would be compatible with your electrical system); even more if you broaden that to the EU. I suppose that the PL-90 might have a certain hipster cool factor, but I can't imagine that it is worth the price. What is the fascination with it? Have you actually heard one, or is it just the looks?

Thanks, but as I have mentioned I have been putting together a Pioneer reference system for the last 2 years and the only item remaining ng is the turntable, I would not want any other as I believe in those days they engineered all their systems in-house, oh and I also like the look of it :)

zhenya01 wrote:
You can do a search in google by typing the model number of the item that you want followed by site:canuckaudiomart.com

Great advice, I have done and there appears to be a worrying trend on this item.
Thanks all again

-- 06 Jul 2017 16:36 --

Retro Audio wrote:
There are some sellers here who ask ridiculous prices, and continue to post the same ads dozens of times, sometimes even over the space of years.

Their prices bear no relation to the 'going rates' for the items they (attempt to) sell, and are more than likely fishing for suckers and/or the truly desperate who just have to have that particular item, no matter the cost.

Searching Hifishark's 'Sold/Expired' listings will reveal these patterns, while also showing patterns of actual sales of the same item (ie. the ones that don't get re-posted time after time). You can even specify that you only want to search Canuck Audio Mart, etc. However, the Audio Mart family of sites do not currently offer an equivalent service themselves.

IMO, the seller in this case is out to lunch on their price. Sellers like that may well expect to realize their obscene asking rate, and are generally not worth the bother in my experience. But, as others have pointed out, it may be owrthwhile to reach out to such vendors with an offer closer to the average selling price, maybe briefly explaining your rationale.
To your other question, I believe there's an option to 'Show ads from other Audio Marts' along with the list of your country's ads - at least such an option exists here on CAM. It's a checkbox above the list of ads on the main page, just below or adjacent to the 'Filter' drop-down boxes.

Best of luck in your search!

Thank you for your reply, HiFi shark do indeed have the Sold/Expired Listing and I have found it extremely useful over the years and as this is a suggestion thread I thought I would suggest it :)
Carried out google search as mentioned and again a very good idea which I had not thought of, but on the item concerned for sale here there appears to be a worrying trend as previously it shows one had sold for $2500 and this one is the same price but not sure if they are the same item, nether mind I shall just have to wait a bit longer.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:05 am 

UK is the home of many of the best selling classic turntables but OP want a Pioneer. :oops: