Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Ad removal
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:28 am 

Hi, I'm trying to remove an AD and went to FAQs and am following instructions TO THE LETTER and NADA I don't see the ''... scroll until you see the "Ad display status" option...'', therefore I cannot remove the ad. Any suggestions? Regards, Pierre :roll:

Post subject: Re: Ad removal
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:52 am 
Premium User

hifipete wrote:
Hi, I'm trying to remove an AD and went to FAQs and am following instructions TO THE LETTER and NADA I don't see the ''... scroll until you see the "Ad display status" option...'', therefore I cannot remove the ad. Any suggestions? Regards, Pierre :roll:

For technical reasons, you cannot remove an ad from the system, but if you sell it or set it to OFF, it is no longer visible to th general public. This is so CAM can archive the information from all ads for future use and to prevent unscrupulous users from removing incriminating evidence from the site.. Think of things in the terms of Jenga Bricks. Remove one and everything on top of it could collapse.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:01 am 

Then they should remove the How do I remove my ad? frm their FAQ...duh!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:14 am 

hifipete wrote:
Then they should remove the How do I remove my ad? frm their FAQ...duh!

Why? The FAQs tell you how to remove an ad from public view and prevent replies. Doesn't that accomplish what you are looking to do?
What is the problem with CAM retaining a record of it? The only reason to object to this is if a seller is hiding something.
Kijiji allows you to delete an ad. Maybe that is an option for you.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:17 am 

Listen Quadzilla...I don't have anything to hide. If you look at my feedback you'll see that I'm not a crook and resent the less than subtle reference to that effect. I just want to start fresh is all. In the FAQ they mention how to turn off or remove an Ad. But in fact one cannot do this and while I appreciate the why, in my humble opinion they shouldn't mention this and just state that one cannot remove and ad, period.'nuff said, I'm not pursuing this disciussion any further.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:31 am 

hifipete wrote:
Listen Quadzilla...I don't have anything to hide. If you look at my feedback you'll see that I'm not a crook and resent the less than subtle reference to that effect. I just want to start fresh is all. In the FAQ they mention how to turn off or remove an Ad. But in fact one cannot do this and while I appreciate the why, in my humble opinion they shouldn't mention this and just state that one cannot remove and ad, period.'nuff said, I'm not pursuing this disciussion any further.

I am not suggesting anything, and I am certainly not suggesting that you have something to hide.
Not being able to delete an ad is a good feature. It helps to keep everybody honest. Can you not see the obvious benefit?

I understand though that certain people can become unsettled when something seems incomplete.
Turning an ad 'off' is effectively removing it. Try and look past that it seems incomplete.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:52 am 
Site Admin

Hi Hifipete,

The CAM definition of a "removed" ad is an ad that is no longer listed in various parts of the site.

I think the reason you can't see the dropdown beside Ad Display Status is that the ad you're trying to manage is EXPIRED or already SOLD, so there's no further action necessary/possible.

When an ad is EXPIRED, or turned OFF or SOLD it is no longer listed on the homepage, the browse page, the categories, or search results. The last 15 SOLD/OFF items in your history will show to logged in users who view your Ad List for up to 3 months, after which they don't see it even there.

The actual ad itself remains in existence on the site almost indefinitely (CAM does reserve the right to prune old ads to help manage our resource usage and costs), but outside of being found on Google and via email links (eg for someone who has a confirmation of having replied to it) nobody can reach it.

As the ad owner, you see more of your OFF/SOLD ads than the public does (Up to 18 months). Some sellers dislike seeing certain types of ads, so we recently updated updated the Ad List to let sellers toggle off the display of certain ad types and control how many months of history they want to see. In your case, if you do not wish to see OFF ads go to your Ad list and toggle off the display of OFF or EXPIRED ads. Since the launch of this feature some users have indicated this has helped them keep their own ad list more organized.

Note that this toggle display is a cosmetic feature only, the public will still see the 15 most recent SOLD/OFF/EXPIRED ads from the past 3 months when looking at your ad list.

Aside from safety concerns, showing this brief history is central to allowing users find ad listings they previously responded to. We have many cases where users buy an item, receive the said item, and want to refer back to the ad in question for some reason or other, and without this brief history of OFF/SOLD listings it becomes much more difficult for users to find listings they responded to in the past.

On a personal note, one of the things I find most frustrating about Kijiji/Craigslist is an item I was looking at in the morning could be deleted by the afternoon. It can also lead to serious confusion such as "I thought Seller A had listed ABC Amplifier this morning, what happened?" Most buyers have indicated they prefer a "Marked as SOLD" model rather than just have a listing completely disappear after they buy it.

I will update the FAQ today to try to make some of the above points more clear.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:38 pm 

I like the ad system exactly how it is. Many time before a purchase on CAM I research the item, often times this leads me to another expired/sold ad on CAM that allows me to see who the original seller was. It's also goo to help find photos in ads that were taken from a previous ad on CAM.

The ability to find this old info has been of great benefit to me, I'm happy it exists.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:51 pm 
Site Admin

dondoucette wrote:
I like the ad system exactly how it is. Many time before a purchase on CAM I research the item, often times this leads me to another expired/sold ad on CAM that allows me to see who the original seller was. It's also goo to help find photos in ads that were taken from a previous ad on CAM.

The ability to find this old info has been of great benefit to me, I'm happy it exists.

Thanks for sharing your experience, what you describe fits exactly what we observe. The archived ads serve to help promote more users to find items throughout the site, brings in new buyers (and sellers) who have never visited before, and serves as a valuable archive for safety and research purposes. There have been cases where this archive have helped foil scam and fraud attempts in different scenarios and capacities, and many many cases where it lead to someone buying something from someone else.

I have stated many times in the past that many power sellers would be surprised how much of their business on CAM was thanks to archived old ads, whether their own or someone else's. The existence of this history is for the benefit of the whole community, in many ways (not just for safety).

Having said that, some users do feel more comfortable using the new toggles to organize their My Ads display so they don't have to see 18 months worth of old EXPIRED ads when manaing their ads, so we encourage those users to make use of the filters we implemented some weeks ago.