Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:16 pm 

Jhayman wrote:
I think its a Great idea, many times I've looked at items for sale, thought about the purchase only to come back a day or 2 later and it's gone?
Where did it go, was it taken off the market or was it Sold.
i.e there was a McCormack DNA-500 for sale, now it's gone..was it Sold or just pulled?

Is there a difference?

If a database of past sales prices was another revenue stream for CAM I would accept it, but I wouldn't pay into it; I have a knee-jerk reaction against business enterprises that use it's freely obtained user's submissions as a database for profit.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:15 pm 

Chipmunk1957 wrote:
All you need to do is place a "watch" on the ad and if the seller marks it sold it shows up on your Cam notifications.

+1 although it can be a bit of a bummer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:49 am 

When I'm interested in learning an item's actual value I first start by looking in the user's feedback history to see if they're just trying to flip it (which I never support and despise these people). Or if they're selling for $2,000 and just bought it for $2,000 then it's just a change of heart, if the seller is honest of course.

If that checks out I go on Hifi Shark, Audiogon and CAM. For CAM searching, do this in the URL:

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com: ITEM NAME

You'll find sold listings, expired etc it'll just take more clicks rather than a list format. I open up every new link with a new tab to quickly go through.

On eBay, you can go through the 'advanced search' and hit the checkbox 'sold' to see what has sold and return a list for the last 90(?) days.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:23 am 

ripblade wrote:
[I have a knee-jerk reaction against business enterprises that use it's freely obtained user's submissions as a database for profit.

Totally Agree

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:13 am 

kvn63 wrote:
ripblade wrote:
I have a knee-jerk reaction against business enterprises that use it's freely obtained user's submissions as a database for profit.

Totally Agree

Think of it as non-monetary payment for the right to buy and sell on the site. All kinds of Internet entities use this business model. Do you really think that Facebook and Hotmail are free? I wouldn't use any sold item pricing data, but if the flippers want access to it why not make it available for them to purchase? They are here to make a profit, so they should think of it as a cost of doing business with the CAM membership.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:41 am 

You have a good point, Quad, which is why I wouldn't object if CAM went this way. I still wouldn't approve of it and here's why: Remember the Cddb? It was a database of CD meta tags built up by users who ripped CD on their drives. Tags were uploaded and downloaded in the free exchange of info. Then the Cddb was sold and converted to a subscription model, so now the users who freely contributed to it now had to pay to access the data they submitted. Needless to say, they were outraged by this move and abandoned the service for another one called, appropriately, Freedb. So where's the Cddb now?

I get it....the creators of the Cddb finally got paid for their work, but to me it comes off as an underhanded way to go about it. I guess that's just my warped perspective. I stay away from Facebook, etc. for the very same reasons.

I don't like ads, but I don't defeat them in my browser out of respect for the process. But charging someone to access their own freely submitted data doesn't sound right to me unless it's with the understanding that this is how it's going to be from the very beginning.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:58 am 

ripblade wrote:
You have a good point, Quad, which is why I wouldn't object if CAM went this way. I still wouldn't approve of it and here's why: Remember the Cddb? It was a database of CD meta tags built up by users who ripped CD on their drives. Tags were uploaded and downloaded in the free exchange of info. Then the Cddb was sold and converted to a subscription model, so now the users who freely contributed to it now had to pay to access the data they submitted. Needless to say, they were outraged by this move and abandoned the service for another one called, appropriately, Freedb. So where's the Cddb now?

I get it....the creators of the Cddb finally got paid for their work, but to me it comes off as an underhanded way to go about it. I guess that's just my warped perspective. I stay away from Facebook, etc. for the very same reasons.

I don't like ads, but I don't defeat them in my browser out of respect for the process. But charging someone to access their own freely submitted data doesn't sound right to me unless it's with the understanding that this is how it's going to be from the very beginning.

I regret my post, Rip. I don't want to risk irritating the moderator that I quoted. Kevin, you can delete my post. Sorry.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:01 am 

If you google search for that item and add site:canuckaudiomart.com at the end of your search string, you will find your sold item... Of course, it won't show you the actual sold price, but the ad is in the internet archives forever....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:05 am 

revjac wrote:
I don't think having a "SOLD" section is of much use either. If someone really needs to determine the sold value of a piece there's always HiFi Shark and Ebay Completed.
Takes a minute or two to do that search.

+1 ......emphasis added......without prejudice to the fact that:

(1) its a Mano-a- Mano transaction with no reliable mechanism to verify the terms of the deal or a requirement to even report the same,
(2) past sales prices > 6-odd months ago are irrelevant and useless in an ever changing and variable economy....
(3) Ultimate sales price is also directly influenced by
-- the varying bespoke condition of the unit and there is no empirical way to track that factor .
-- currency fluctuation.... .since 2012 the $CAD has gone from about $1.03 to about $0.75 against thec$USD and in lockstep with other major currencies .
(4) Dealer sales price versus private sales price are NOT even remotely comparable , full stop.
(5) CAM is a comparative small alternative to AUDIOGON, PINk FISH AUDIO , HIFISHARK and other vastly larger variety marketplaces with widely varying price ranges for all the reasons herein and arguably provide a much better comparative ... full stop.

And on and on ......

Takeaway:

Many of us don't want and don't need any new half-baked tweaks on CAM.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:08 am 

Quadzilla wrote:
ripblade wrote:

I regret my post, Rip. I don't want to risk irritating the moderator that I quoted. Kevin, you can delete my post. Sorry.

No, Why would I delete your post and why would I be irritated? I was speaking from a personal point of view not as a moderator, unfortunately there is no way to turn on and off the moderator tag to distinguish between my moderator duties and my personal posts.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:17 am 

kvn63 wrote:
No, Why would I delete your post and why would I be irritated? I was speaking from a personal point of view not as a moderator, unfortunately there is no way to turn on and off the moderator tag to distinguish between my moderator duties and my personal posts.

I didn't realize that I had replied to your post until I read Ripblade's reply, or I would not have posted. Again, I am sorry.

Last edited by Quadzilla on Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:06 am 

naimkid wrote:
aleknevicus wrote:
A "Sold" section would be helpful for approximating the value of equipment as you could see what similar items have been offered for.

This could also be used by sharks to drive up the assumed value of a product

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:25 pm 

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com: ITEM NAME

You'll find sold listings, expired etc it'll just take more clicks rather than a list format. I open up every new link with a new tab to quickly go through. Quote

For some reason that didn't work for me at all?

Ott.