Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:36 am 

Wondering what rules are regulated by the moderator.Replied to an add for Nordost spm speaker cables offering what the seller was asking for including a shipping charge.The seller then replies that he has several people interested and if I want the cables I should offer him more money.I didn"t reply because it was not an auction and because I was willing to pay the asking price that he had posted.I am a little annoyed by this behavior.If he wanted people to bid against each other he should have placed the add in an auction but he put a price on them for sale and then decided that maybe he could bend the rules and have the potential buyers bid against each other so he could squeeze every last nickel out of the poor buyer.Shame on this seller for his behavior.I realise the site has no way to know about these type of problems but I figured I would post this to help make them aware of this persons shoddy behavior and ethics.Will have to let it slide,life goes on.Have a great day and enjoy the music.

Last edited by Soundbites on Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:58 am 

I only see one pair of SPMs for sale, it's on the US site, and these have been listed since Feb so people aren't breaking down his door to get them. Can you provide a link to the one's you're referring to?

Shoddy behavior on behalf of the seller but move on and find another pair to purchase.

You should rethink, perhaps even remove, your comment regarding the site being at fault. A private e-mail conversation between a buyer and seller is not monitored by the site so how can the site's administrators/moderators be at fault?

Last edited by shawnwes on Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:07 am 

money talks and sadly I must admit I've been on both sides of that scenario.

it happens...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:39 am 

Probably seller priced it too low, discovered the market through hits, etc, etc.

This is how they sell real estate in the GTA and GVA these days.....hard to get so upset over a cable.....

You can't blame the site for this. Hard enough to monitor scammers/frauds.

BTW, right in his ad he specifies 'buyer pays shipping $20'. I'm guessing if it was such a great deal it would have been prudent to offer his asking right from the get go. Once you start negotiating for a cheaper deal you go into the maybe pool.

The asking was $500 cad and a pair just sold on ebay for $1146 USD.......

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:54 am 

Problem was that I did offer him full asking price but apparently that was"t enough anymore.Like water under the bridge now.Cables sold to someone else.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:10 am 

Soundbites wrote:
Problem was that I did offer him full asking price but apparently that was"t enough anymore.Like water under the bridge now.Cables sold to someone else.

scenario:

- i'll take em for your asking! emt fine?

- sorry sold pending payment.

- tell you what, how's $xxx emt right now. let other buyer know.... your call.

and (un)fortunately, almost every time I get what I want...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:11 am 

Soundbites wrote:

That was not 100% clear in your first sentence, I interpreted you asked him to include the shipping at the listing amount. Not enough coffee this morning. He would have looked better had he said or best offer (which most think is a signal to lowball). E-commerce is the new wild west....

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:15 am 

I agree with Soundbite's opinion. Seller should re-advertise as best offer if he/she is taking offers on a priced for sale product.
False advertising ? Maybe......but mildly irritating all the same.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:24 am 

Had the exact same thing happen to me. Offered the asking with no conditions and was told a lot of interest and will likely sell for more. I simply replied something like "if that is the way you do business I will politely withdraw my offer".

I've been on the other side of it too and I stick with my asking price to be polite. It is a hobby after all for most, right? I totally agree with the poster's feeling on it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:34 pm 

BinkyTheCat wrote:
Soundbites wrote:

scenario:

- i'll take em for your asking! emt fine?

- sorry sold pending payment.

- tell you what, how's $xxx emt right now. let other buyer know.... your call.

and (un)fortunately, almost every time I get what I want...

As the OP posted shoddy behaviour and ethics, perfect example.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:05 pm 

I only see one pair of SPMs for sale, it's on the US site, and these have been listed since Feb so people aren't breaking down his door to get them. Can you provide a link to the one's you're referring to?

Shoddy behavior on behalf of the seller but move on and find another pair to purchase.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:40 pm 

cauthangcp wrote:

Month old post. They have likely been sold.