Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:04 pm 
Premium User

moinau wrote:

His parcel, and allowing for packing material which will increase the diameter, the height, and the weight of his parcel, will cost the buyer, 10.52$ for a regular parcel and local delivery, and 15.72$ again, regular parcel and coastal delivery, (National delivery)

35.00$ and 10.52$ is quite the difference.

Anyway, I think the buyer also made a few mistakes, and my point is, as stated earlier, lets not kill anybody yet, fix the loopholes, and carry on.

Shipping here is always by Priority Mail with Insurance...Priority was the stated shipping method.

Attachment below is for a 'worst case' scenario...shipping to Yellowknife in a 7" x 6" x 4" container weighing 2 lbs.

Attachments:
CAM - HRS Priotiry Mail.jpg
CAM - HRS Priotiry Mail.jpg [ 45.37 KiB | Viewed 892 times ]

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:23 pm 

Ok, folks, I'm out. Surely there are better things to do on a beautiful spring night.

At the end of the day I'm going to have to say that the OP has done us all a great service here and one which I hope each and every CAM member takes to heart. Thanks to his thread here I will never make the mistake of dealing with him, and for that I am truly thankful!

Good night all!

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:38 pm 

Voodoo Funk wrote:
moinau wrote:

His parcel, and allowing for packing material which will increase the diameter, the height, and the weight of his parcel, will cost the buyer, 10.52$ for a regular parcel and local delivery, and 15.72$ again, regular parcel and coastal delivery, (National delivery)

35.00$ and 10.52$ is quite the difference.

Anyway, I think the buyer also made a few mistakes, and my point is, as stated earlier, lets not kill anybody yet, fix the loopholes, and carry on.

Shipping here is always by Priority Mail with Insurance...Priority was the stated shipping method.

Attachment below is for a 'worst case' scenario...shipping to Yellowknife in a 7" x 6" x 4" container weighing 2 lbs.

I fully agree with you on that note, the note being, "PRIORITY MAIL"

I'll give you, politely, a few pointers when dealing with auctions, up to you to take it or not, and I stress, "politely"

1: Always give the buyer a choice, i.e.... Angel delivery, very, very expensise, or, Regular parcel Post, for all the pions like me, you know the cheap people. 'Blague à part', all auctions has a choice, UPS, Fedex, USPS, Canada Post, DLH, etc...etc... and if you want snail mail, or supersonic.
My point is, give the buyer a choice, and you will be rewarded down the line...

2: Stop insulting you customers, your future customers. and by insulting i mean this, "If they are not happy, don't buy" "What don,t they understand about, NO HAGGLING" "Ifnot happy with my ad, don't bid" "etc...etc...

I know one thing, and I'm very sorry to say this but, I've 5 names here that I will never deal with, they might be very honest sellers, but their attitudes doesn't inspire confidence.

Anyway, take it or leave it...

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:57 pm 
Premium User

moinau wrote:
I know one thing, and I'm very sorry to say this but, I've 5 names here that I will never deal with, they might be very honest sellers, but their attitudes doesn't inspire confidence.

With 1 feedback exactly how much dealing are you really doing here? Voodoo Funk clearly has extensive experience buying and selling on the site.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:08 pm 

Voodoo Funk wrote:
Tom_r wrote:
No it doesn't. As already stated the local person is penalized for picking up, but then again so is the person from BC if they happen to be driving here for a vacation! The guy from Peterborough says I will pick up when I come to the ballgame in two days so he gets penalized too because you assume he wants it shipped too.

Hmmm, are you trying to make back you listing fees in the shipping cost?

I'm guessing you've never shipped anything to B.C. or to the Northwest Territories either...with insurance and a tracking number...or you wouldn't be speculating!!! 8)

Ummm eBay member since 2001 with 485 + feedback and 0 - or neutral feedback. I've shipped around the world. I've been there since a seller could leave negative feedback for a buyer and before eBay owned PayPal. And I've been there long enough to know why eBay charges fees on shipping costs because they didn't in 2001. Back then you had sellers charging bloated shipping costs to cover listing fees. I'm not disputing that it may cost $35 to ship an item to BC, but I know for sure it doesn't cost $35 for someone to come to your door to pick up an item.

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:10 pm 

[i]"2: Stop insulting you customers, your future customers. and by insulting i mean this, "If they are not happy, don't buy" "What don,t they understand about, NO HAGGLING" "Ifnot happy with my ad, don't bid" "etc...etc..."[/i]
sorry man, but you do not have customers on a buy and sell site. You have buyers. Very different approach.
Work for a liquidator and they will educate you on the difference.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:21 pm 

James_W wrote:
moinau wrote:

With 1 feedback exactly how much dealing are you really doing here? Voodoo Funk clearly has extensive experience buying and selling on the site.

None here as you pointed out. Maybe you are not aware, but there is also Ebay, AK, Vintage Thorens, Vintage Lenco, and a lot more sites than the one you are aware off, that being CAM.
Maybe I do sell on line somewhere, and maybe I don't, or maybe I buy on line, who knows, hein...The thing is, never assume anything...

It's good of you to defend your friend. Extensive you say, because he has a few hundreds little green squares, and some red, and that will make him an expert in dealing with the public. . Anyway, if you can't read his attitudes when answering people that do disagree with him, well....

I've pointed out something to VF before, "La Petite Famille"

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:15 pm 

Voodoo Funk wrote:

Don't like it...I don't really care...that's how I approach the Auction site.

If you didn't really care, you would just contact the admin with the problem, instead of trying to drum up agreement/support in a thread. Seriously, it's a beta test, which is okay for you, and you want the guy banned?

Maybe you should have made it clear that you're the seller who says a cash deal isn't a deal til the buyer shows up at your door - and if someone else beats him to it, his lookout.

Last edited by Che Cavolo on Mon May 22, 2017 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:18 pm 
Premium User

Che Cavolo wrote:
Voodoo Funk wrote:

Don't like it...I don't really care...that's how I approach the Auction site.

If you didn't really care, you would just contact the admin with the problem, instead of trying to drum up agreement/support in a thread.

Ah...it's one way of reporting admin with the problem.

Same as I've done for all the irregularities that have cropped up throughout the rollout of the Auction site.

...and my comment was directed at an entirely different subject being discussed. 8)

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:27 pm 

I will follow "Addict" lead, that is, I'm out, and surely there are better things to do on a beautiful spring night.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:53 pm 
Site Admin

I've split the thread up and I've locked this thread as well.

I have no objection to spirited debate but this particular discussion has tended to veer into the realm of just argument, yet it has yielded some valuable things to think about.

To summarize, the partial consensus is that local pickup should be allowed with no shipping fee, VF has indicated his policy is he wants to charge the fee even for pickup. Some experienced sellers have speculated the shipping fee is greatly inflated and is intended to cover the auction listing fee. There is a strong sentiment that VF's policies are not buyer friendly.

There's some belief stated that CAM should have made more clear that local pickup was not allowed. I think this is the seller's responsibility and the buyer's responsibility to make clear before bidding, since the auction does state that shipping in Canada is $35. However, I do understand how some people may make the assumption, and the suggestion to explicitly state no pickup allowed will be something we work on.

Currently CAM does not dictate how a seller prices shipping nor does it dictate how local pickup works in auctions or classifieds. Given the sentiment here, it may be warranted for us to disallow sellers from charging extra if they offer local pickup, however, it is not our policy now or in the future to force sellers to accept local pickup if they do not wish to offer it. I'm fairly certain the community would support CAM in not forcing local pickups for sellers who do not wish to offer it.

Meanwhile, the long term roadmap on CAM does include more support for local dealings, as we believe that's a strong part of the hobby and of 2nd hand marketplaces in general. This means that while we won't force anyone to offer local pickup, we will encourage and support it.

Separate to this, I'll try to communicate with the buyer and seller again to see if we can maybe resolve this in a friendly manner. I do believe in giving the benefit of the doubt during this early stage.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5