Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:32 pm 

Chipmunk1957 wrote:
moinau wrote:
VF didn't indicate, no local pick up, and punishing the buyer for that is a bit much, although the buyer stating a payout in a month, is also a bit much.

Since this is new for everybody, why not make all the rules first, clear and concise rules, irons them, and then you can punish the non complying individuals

When you place something for auction on our site there is only a checkbox to indicate local pickup IS available.
If you do not check it you have to indicate shipping charges which is what he did.
Talk to Cam and tell them that they have confused the buyer NOT VF.

Correct you are, the Admin will now correct this for the future.
Lets all assume the buyer made a mistake, didn't fully understand the ins and out about this auction, after all it's quite new, and I think VF can agree with this, since he his one of the few that found a few irregularity on this auction site.

-- 22 May 2017 17:33 --

Voodoo Funk wrote:
moinau wrote:
They go by weight and size, and you are correct, size takes first place. Since size takes precedence, how big is that weight, even if you triple the package, don't answer, I already know.

One thing for sure with you, it is very hard for anybody to reasons with you, you are always right, everybody else is wrong.
If you stress that much about peanuts, it wont be good for your health.

Not about 'right' or 'wrong'...it is about the facts...and the fact is that shipping was a part of my ad with no local pickup.

End of story.

You didn't state that, and end of the story always apply to people that has a different opinion than you...

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:44 pm 

Voodoo Funk wrote:
Admin sent me a copy of the email they sent to the buyer...no backing out...if he doesn't pay by May 27th he gets a Negative Feedback!!!
Ah, that's a disappointment, especially considering the 'no local pickup' option wasn't clearly stated in the auction. On top of it, losing points on what is admittedly a beta trial just doesn't seem fair.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:48 pm 

@Moinau..
I think the buyer is buyer remorseful because if you watched the bidding on this item you would have seen a higher bid of 190.00$ was somehow retracted before auction end and that left this buyer wondering what was going on.
Then they probably got spooked and couldn't retract their bid.
I think they came up with a cockamamy story so as not to pay.

-- 22 May 2017 16:50 --

ripblade wrote:
Voodoo Funk wrote:
Admin sent me a copy of the email they sent to the buyer...no backing out...if he doesn't pay by May 27th he gets a Negative Feedback!!!
Ah, that's a disappointment, especially considering the 'no local pickup' option wasn't clearly stated in the auction. On top of it, losing points on what is admittedly a beta trial just doesn't seem fair.

Agree... all parties should take a step back.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:52 pm 

The "Auction" portion of CAM is in "Beta" mode, mistakes, and misunderstandings of how things work can cause confusion.

Let them be corrected, and move on...

Regards
Ohms

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:55 pm 
Premium User

Chipmunk1957 wrote:
@Moinau..
I think the buyer is buyer remorseful because if you watched the bidding on this item you would have seen a higher bid of 190.00$ was somehow retracted before auction end and that left this buyer wondering what was going on.
Then they probably got spooked and couldn't retract their bid.
I think they came up with a cockamamy story so as not to pay.

-- 22 May 2017 16:50 --

ripblade wrote:
Voodoo Funk wrote:

Agree... all parties should take a step back.

Very observant...I received a letter from Howard some time after that bid had been made explaining that "the bidder contacted us to let us know that the $190 bid he made was a mistake due to the system telling him the auction has ended. It's a long story but suffice to say that he didn't intend to bid so high. We confirmed he indeed saw a faulty notice and because his actions were a result of a bug in the system we're willing to let him modify this bid or retract it."

Obviously he revised his bid to the $170.00 so he would be $10.00 more than the previous bidder...

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:14 pm 

Chipmunk1957 wrote:
Voodoo Funk wrote:
Chipmunk1957 wrote:
Getting back to Op"s original post...
This bidder wants to pay a month and a half from now and is being persnickety about 35$.Not 350$
You cannot compare us to eBay as we just are not eBay.
If VF has indicated no local pick up (his prerogative) then why make a bid in the first place.
I personally believe that the high bidder in this case is buyer remorseful and has found a small loophole to back out.
IMHO

Good! I would feel like you do after this happened.
If not mistaken by pressing the bid and confirming you enter a legal contract.

Actually,until money changes hands there is no contract; that is the law. Until payment has been accepted, no binding contract is in effect. If there are questions about mercenary tactics on the part of the OP as to what he charges, be aware to two things; First, he posted the costs up front ....don't like it, don't buy it. Second, what I do in my sales is state :"buyer pays exact cost of shipping"....then there is no argument about what things cost.

Canada Post charged based on weight and volume; big box, little weight will cost as much as small box heavy weight. And their rates have increased over 30% in the past year; the biggest increase is not the initial charge for the box, but the variable cost related to distance traveled. And, yes, a 2 pound box shipped Expresspost to either coast from Ontario could easily approach $35.00....

Inasmuch as the ad did state (arguably it could have been clearer) that the shipping fees would apply, I agree with previous posters that the buyer backed out and used to $35 fee as justification. If he did so because he did not understand the $35 fee is also arguable.

Bottom line is that all our ads must be very specific; better to "spell it out" more than once so there is zero chance of misunderstanding. Say it twice. In court, a smart lawyer will ask a defendant or witness multiple questions, all to confirm a specific point; if the witness responds consistently three times, the point is taken as an inarguable fact. A little trick from law school.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:28 pm 

brownslane wrote:
Inasmuch as the ad did state (arguably it could have been clearer) that the shipping fees would apply, I agree with previous posters that the buyer backed out and used to $35 fee as justification.
The ad didn't state shipping fees were mandatory...it simply listed them. It also didn't state that pickup was NOT an option.

2+2.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:32 pm 
Premium User

ripblade wrote:
brownslane wrote:
Inasmuch as the ad did state (arguably it could have been clearer) that the shipping fees would apply, I agree with previous posters that the buyer backed out and used to $35 fee as justification.
The ad didn't state shipping fees were mandatory...it simply listed them. It also didn't state that pickup was NOT an option.

2+2.

As has been explained numerous times...as the seller I had options when I placed the ad...one of which was whether or not I would allow 'pick up'...I decided against this...so when the ad was placed it simply states what shipping will cost.

Not for anyone to assume that because they live next door they can pick it up for free!!! :roll:

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:40 pm 

This whole auction thing imo is a big pita as well as a few other things...

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:43 pm 
Premium User

Voodoo Funk wrote:
ripblade wrote:
brownslane wrote:

2+2.

As has been explained numerous times...as the seller I had options when I placed the ad...one of which was whether or not I would allow 'pick up'...I decided against this...so when the ad was placed it simply states what shipping will cost.

Not for anyone to assume that because they live next door they can pick it up for free!!! :roll:

I was with you right up until that last line. Charging for pick up? Come on man.........you can't be serious? So, if you lived 20 mins away, to buy your item, I get the pleasure of burning my fuel and paying an extra 35 bucks just so you don't have to "double box" it and burn your own fuel to drop off at the post office ?!?

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:47 pm 

Voodoo Funk wrote:
ripblade wrote:
brownslane wrote:

2+2.

I'm just speculating on the buyer's position. I've bid high on local items in the past knowing full well I could save on shipping charges.

Your ad wasn't clear to me, so I assume it wasn't clear to him, either.

It's not anybody's fault, but he shouldn't be penalized because, as your screen dump proved, it wasn't clear he had to pay the shipping. You took it down because it doesn't support your case that he's a deadbeat.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:52 pm 
Premium User

ripblade wrote:
I'm just speculating on the buyer's position. I've bid high on local items in the past knowing full well I could save on shipping charges.

It's not anybody's fault, but he shouldn't be penalized because, as your screen dump proved, it wasn't clear he had to pay the shipping. You took it down because it doesn't support your case that he's a deadbeat.

First of all...I didn't take anything down...and my ad was as clear as CAM allowed at the time. A month and a half before he pays...I don't think so.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:57 pm 

So an unclear ad is the buyers defense and a beta auction app is yours?!

Nice....

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:01 pm 
Premium User

BinkyTheCat wrote:
So an unclear ad is the buyers defense and a beta auction app is yours?!

Nice....

No...I'm not defending my decision to charge the shipping fee...as I stated...in my mind this makes it a level playing field for all interested parties throughout North America.

Nobody has an advantage because he happens to live next door.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:04 pm 

Voodoo Funk wrote:
ripblade wrote:

First of all...I didn't take anything down...and my ad was as clear as CAM allowed at the time. A month and a half before he pays...I don't think so.
Then where is it? It was here before you edited your post....

viewtopic.php?p=737745#p737745

Month and a half to pay? No, I agree. If he has Paypal he should pay it right away. Month and a half to pick it up? Shouldn't be a problem for something that small...or is it?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next