Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:54 pm
Posts: 110
Location: Welland, ON, CA
Admin note:

This message and messages following this were originally in the thread about a nonpaying auction winner. The admin has split this thread in order to keep the original thread more on topic.

Chipmunk1957 wrote:
Thanks but wow what a kerfuffle


Yeah, you're right. Let's get rid of the auction altogether! :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:17 am
Posts: 13706
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
admin wrote:
ripblade wrote:
Didn't see it on your screen dump.

So, should the bidder be penalized for this miscommunication?


Assuming the seller did not select "local pickup available" then the shipping options will not say local pickup is an option and will only list the price for Canada as +$35. Why would someone assume local pickup is an option if its not listed as an option?
It's not listed as NOT an option, either.

The winning bid is $170. Why is it unusual to expect a local person wouldn't want to pick it up to save $35?

_________________
To a hammer, everything looks like a nail


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:40 am 
Offline
Premium User
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:44 pm
Posts: 6084
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Addict wrote:
Chipmunk1957 wrote:
Thanks but wow what a kerfuffle


Yeah, you're right. Let's get rid of the auction altogether! :D


Even with this experience...I personally LOVE the Auction.

People always complain that sellers price items much too high and don't reflect true market value.

This is one way to address that...sure...seller still gets to set a reserve...but I think by positing an item on Auction he realizes that he may not get the high dollar he wanted but he will get something reasonable...if he chooses to accept the top bid...or bidders meet reserve.

It's fun...wake up every morning and check to see how the item is doing...and how much time is left... :lol:

_________________
I Put A Spell On You!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 8:20 pm
Posts: 410
Location: Silver Creek, BC, CA
admin wrote:
ripblade wrote:
Didn't see it on your screen dump.

So, should the bidder be penalized for this miscommunication?


Assuming the seller did not select "local pickup available" then the shipping options will not say local pickup is an option and will only list the price for Canada as +$35. Why would someone assume local pickup is an option if its not listed as an option?



I think 3 words added "pickup not available" would solve this type of situation-make it as clear as possible-then there can not be any question


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:04 pm
Posts: 1638
Location: saskatoon, SK, CA
admin wrote:
ripblade wrote:
Didn't see it on your screen dump.

So, should the bidder be penalized for this miscommunication?


Assuming the seller did not select "local pickup available" then the shipping options will not say local pickup is an option and will only list the price for Canada as +$35. Why would someone assume local pickup is an option if its not listed as an option?



Because the buyer is local and could pick up.

If I were local why would I have it shipped only to be potentially damaged or lost?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:49 am 
Offline
Premium User
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:44 pm
Posts: 6084
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
BinkyTheCat wrote:
admin wrote:
ripblade wrote:
Didn't see it on your screen dump.

So, should the bidder be penalized for this miscommunication?


Assuming the seller did not select "local pickup available" then the shipping options will not say local pickup is an option and will only list the price for Canada as +$35. Why would someone assume local pickup is an option if its not listed as an option?



Because the buyer is local and could pick up.

If I were local why would I have it shipped only to be potentially damaged or lost?


I amended my current Auction Ad for a pair of AKG K 701 Headphones so that "Please Note: Shipping fee applies to even local pickup." is now included.

Will include that in every ad.

_________________
I Put A Spell On You!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:54 pm
Posts: 110
Location: Welland, ON, CA
I was both a buyer and seller on eBay so I know what you mean about the fun of an auction as a seller.

The problem as a buyer was when two (or more) buyers lost their minds in the last-minute desire to win at any cost and took the item out of reasonable reach. Great for the seller but pretty disappointing if you've waited a week...

The only problem I had as a seller was the same as yours, and often because of my note above - at sober second thought the winner realizes he blew his brains out and wants to renege...

I far and away prefer the CAM way:post something and if you have a reasonable price and a little wiggle room you should get yourself a buyer who is paying what both you and he (or she) consider fair - isn't that enough? This creates a buying/selling culture that is cooperative rather than competitive and stresses integrity over subterfuge; the best deals I have got and given here were because a seller/ buyer liked the way I dealt with them and my passion for audio and not because I drove a hard bargain.

-- 22 May 2017 18:09 --

I amended my current Auction Ad for a pair of AKG K 701 Headphones so that "Please Note: Shipping fee applies to even local pickup." is now included.

Will include that in every ad.

Whoa...sorry...I think I have to get off your bandwagon now VF...while I agree in this case that the bidder should have done his due diligence before bidding to find out if he could pick up since it was not listed, I cannot condone adding $35 to the cost of an item if you are allowing local pick up...why would anyone want to pay $35 for...nothing except saving you the trouble of packing and shipping??


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:17 am
Posts: 13706
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Addict wrote:
Whoa...sorry...I think I have to get off your bandwagon now VF...while I agree in this case that the bidder should have done his due diligence before bidding to find out if he could pick up since it was not listed, I cannot condone adding $35 to the cost of an item if you are allowing local pick up...why would anyone want to pay $35 for...nothing except saving you the trouble of packing and shipping??
Makes too much sense to me. Why be penalized for being local?

Looks like I'll be out of VF's auctions if that's the case...

-- 22 May 2017 14:13 --

BinkyTheCat wrote:
If I were local why would I have it shipped only to be potentially damaged or lost?

+1

_________________
To a hammer, everything looks like a nail


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:46 pm
Posts: 289
Location: Markham, ON, CA
ripblade wrote:
Addict wrote:
Whoa...sorry...I think I have to get off your bandwagon now VF...while I agree in this case that the bidder should have done his due diligence before bidding to find out if he could pick up since it was not listed, I cannot condone adding $35 to the cost of an item if you are allowing local pick up...why would anyone want to pay $35 for...nothing except saving you the trouble of packing and shipping??
Makes too much sense to me. Why be penalized for being local?

Looks like I'll be out of VF's auctions if that's the case...

-- 22 May 2017 14:13 --

BinkyTheCat wrote:
If I were local why would I have it shipped only to be potentially damaged or lost?

+1



+ another one. I won't play if those are the rules.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:42 am 
Offline
Premium User
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:44 pm
Posts: 6084
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Think of it the other way around...why should a potential buyer in B.C. be penalized for not being able to pick up the item from me in Toronto himself?

This creates a level playing field for ALL interested parties!!! 8)

_________________
I Put A Spell On You!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:42 am
Posts: 37
Location: stirling, ON, CA
Paying shipping charge on pick up. Why do I feel getting ripped off. Maybe someone would.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:19 pm
Posts: 342
Location: Eastern Passage, NS, CA
And this also create a cash grab, big time...

If one wants to play with the big boys (Ebay) one better learn the rules, and the rules are, "Local Pick up available" and if pick up if not available even if you are local, one will always state this on Ebay.

Furthermore, a shipping charge of 35.00$ for a record weight, is a wee bit much, like a whole lot, don't you think.

Also, this horse is now dead... :roll:

_________________
A force de contempler la mer, on fini un jour par la prendre.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:59 am 
Offline
Premium User
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:44 pm
Posts: 6084
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
rotaryphoneuser wrote:
Paying shipping charge on pick up. Why do I feel getting ripped off. Maybe someone would.


Well...as it is now clearly stated in my ads that shipping charges apply to all sales, whether local or not...you have the right not to bid.

Now you don't feel 'ripped off'...right??? 8)

_________________
I Put A Spell On You!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:49 am
Posts: 1624
Location: Fairport Beach (in Pickering), ON, CA
Voodoo Funk wrote:
Think of it the other way around...why should a potential buyer in B.C. be penalized for not being able to pick up the item from me in Toronto himself?

This creates a level playing field for ALL interested parties!!! 8)


No it doesn't. As already stated the local person is penalized for picking up, but then again so is the person from BC if they happen to be driving here for a vacation! The guy from Peterborough says I will pick up when I come to the ballgame in two days so he gets penalized too because you assume he wants it shipped too.

Hmmm, are you trying to make back you listing fees in the shipping cost?

_________________
Tom

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:02 pm 
Offline
Premium User
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:44 pm
Posts: 6084
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
moineau wrote:
And this also create a cash grab, big time...

If one wants to play with the big boys (Ebay) one better learn the rules, and the rules are, "Local Pick up available" and if pick up if not available even if you are local, one will always state this on Ebay.

Furthermore, a shipping charge of 35.00$ for a record weight, is a wee bit much, like a whole lot, don't you think.

Also, this horse is now dead... :roll:


I'm guessing you've never shipped anything to B.C. or to the Northwest Territories...with insurance and a tracking number.

_________________
I Put A Spell On You!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group