Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:47 am 
Premium User

Just received a PM from the winner of my 1877 Zavfino OCC Silver Dart Power Cord - 2.5m - MINT.

What he claims is:

"Hello there, not sure what happened with this auction but I had 2 auctions going simultaneously in case one fell through, and I received this email from Canuck concerning your auction, that i had been outbid
So I upped the other amount and won that power cord, then I received another email from cam saying I had won, after already winning the other one. Any good deal what is going on? Any insight would help, thanks,..."

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:59 am 
Premium User

Unless he has proof of the outbid notification or CAM can confirm that was the case........looks like he's buying yours as well.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:02 am 
Premium User

LEAFS264 wrote:
Unless he has proof of the outbid notification or CAM can confirm that was the case........looks like he's buying yours as well.

I hope so as he wasn't the only bidder!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:04 am 
Premium User

Isn't that how auctions are SUPPOSED to work? You bid on 2 items and if no one outbids you, you are supposed to buy both. I haven't really looked into the specifics of our auction site, but a bid is supposed to be a binding contract and if you want to get out of it, there should be a penalty. Sort of like playing Russian Roulette with 2 bullets in 2 of the 6 chambers and having 2 tries ..... the chances are very real that you can get shot twice.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:07 am 
Premium User

OBI56 wrote:
Isn't that how auctions are SUPPOSED to work? You bid on 2 items and if no one outbids you, you are supposed to buy both. I haven't really looked into the specifics of our auction site, but a bid is supposed to be a binding contract and if you want to get out of it, there should be a penalty. Sort of like playing Russian Roulette with 2 bullets in 2 of the 6 chambers and having 2 tries ..... the chances are very real that you can get shot twice.

Not what he is saying.

CAM sent him notification that he had been outbid...that in fact the winning bid was $425.00...not the $400.00 that he had made.

I can attest to the fact that, watching the countdown, I saw the figure of $425.00 as well...and was curious as to why it all of a sudden became $400.00.

So...obviously there is a 'bug' there somewhere.

Needs looking into so this confusion can be avoided in the future.

Buyer has notified me that he is perfectly OK with making the purchase if in fact the final bid was his...but if somebody really did outbid him...then not so much!!!

Personally, I'll take the $425.00!!! 8)

..and I doubt very much that after the first shot you would make a second shot!!! :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:32 am 
Site Admin

Hi Voodoo Funk,

Thanks for this report and sorry for the confusion to all parties involved. Your $400 bidder is the official winner of the auction and you can proceed to close the sale with them.

Here's what happened:

We took a look at this and identified a situation where a final bid may sneak through within the first second or two after the auction has already ended. So in this case, the winner that bid $400 is the real winner of the auction, the last bid at $425 came in around 1-2s after the auction closed, but due to a small timing issue was accepted by the system even though the auction had already ended and the winner had been selected and notified. So the official winner is the $400 bid.

We've fixed the bug so there should be no chance of bids being accepted after an auction ends.

I should also add that bidders who want an item should try to bid before the last few seconds of an auction ending. I know that back some years ago "sniping" was a popular past time on ebay, but I think this is a risky strategy. It's very possible that you may miss out on winning due to small things like internet lag, server slowdown, or timing differences in your computer, or any number of other things. If the $425 bid had come just 2s sooner it would be the winning bid. Also, another reason why sniping might not work for the bidder is that the current high bid might in fact have an auto bid in place. So even if you try to beat him you will lose, and with a few seconds to go you won't have time to try enough bids.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:37 am 
Premium User

Under such 'extraordinary circumstances' where the last bid was in fact 'accepted' by the system...I suggest that perhaps you notify the bidder that, if he wants to keep his bid, then he is the winner.

The gentleman who thought he had lost the auction and then placed a bid on another item elsewhere, and won, would be more than happy to let the other buyer have the power cord.

And I get $425.00 instead of $400.00.

It's a win, win, win!!! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:36 pm 

Hello Admin, I am the 'winning' bidder, and although I don't think a public forum is where this should ever be dealt with, at this point, I feel I best get involved; with the facts. Clearly, I don't think that u are seeing my point. I have an email notification from Cam stating that I had been outbid, and there were still 9 min and 57 sec still left in the bidding according to the notification, (see below), consequently I purchased a difft power cord, as I had been outbid on this one, then I get a notification that I won the auction?? my point is that I should not be on the hook to purchase this pc as well, as it was your error which lead me to purchase a difft cord. To be frank, I am usually an easy going guy, but hey, what's right is right. I feel bad for voodoo and feel he should be compensated somehow, just not by me, as really, none of this was my doing.

Attachments:
IMG_0712.JPG
IMG_0712.JPG [ 114.74 KiB | Viewed 1455 times ]
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:39 pm 
Premium User

dan001 wrote:
Hello Admin, I am the 'winning' bidder, and although I don't think a public forum is where this should ever be dealt with, at this point, I feel I best get involved; with the facts. Clearly, I don't think that u are seeing my point. I have an email notification from Cam stating that I had been outbid, and there were still 9 min and 57 sec still left in the bidding according to the notification, (see below), consequently I purchased a difft power cord, as I had been outbid on this one, then I get a notification that I won the auction?? my point is that I should not be on the hook to purchase this pc as well, as it was your error which lead me to purchase a difft cord. To be frank, I am usually an easy going guy, but hey, what's right is right. I feel bad for voodoo and feel he should be compensated somehow, just not by me, as really, none of this was my doing.

Hey...no worries, everybody gets it.

Howard has contacted the other bidder who has agreed to be the 'winner'...so it works out for everyone!!! 8)

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:57 pm 
Site Admin

Hi dan001,

That's a very very valuable screenshot, thanks for sending it our way. As anyone who has ever worked with us before can attest, we work very hard to figure things out and I think in this case we have resolved it between all parties. Now we're going to use that screenshot to figure out why the auction thinks there was 9 minutes left when it was already expired when it got sent.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:06 pm 

Great, thanks guys, much appcted.