Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:01 am 
Premium User

Close to the Edge wrote:
byefi wrote:
Albert wrote:
+1 on Paypal. I have had no problems with Paypal and it is my preferred method of payment. I have sent EMT a half dozen times without issue as sellers are starting to reject Paypal as a means of payment. This still makes me nervous as it offers zero protection for the buyer. As I live in no mans land I don't really have a choice (besides not buying).

Why are they rejecting paypal I wonder. Quite a few sellers are fed up so no wonder. I will never send anything if paid with paypal. And I am extremely honest and serious and have nothing to hide.

Your reaction is rare.PayPal is growing and that is because of the relative safety as opposed to other methods. Lot's of retail stores now accept PayPal and again, it is the relative safety.Nothing is perfect and dishonest people will get around any method of payment, including credit cards. But I can tell you that if a seller will not accept Paypal, then a red flag goes up against that seller .That points to some issue with that seller or the items he sells.

My reaction is what others tell me and of personal experience and the reason why many stopped selling on ebay. EMT is growing wayy more and is taking tons of business away from paypal. Good. Issues with sellers not wanting to accept to use paypal because they have something to hide is ridiculous and your issue with that is your business. Many do not want problems when selling and that number is growing much more than paypal is..lol. You make it sound like one should not even have a choice.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:52 am 

There should be no choice. EMT is a recipe for disaster and virtually every person on this site that gets scammed has used EMT. Do not recommend it. That is irresponsible.It is unsafe.Only benefits the seller.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:31 am 
Premium User

Close to the Edge wrote:
There should be no choice. EMT is a recipe for disaster and virtually every person on this site that gets scammed has used EMT. Do not recommend it. That is irresponsible.It is unsafe.Only benefits the seller.

That is my business and choice if I decide to use EMT and as mentioned have never ever had a problem when buying or selling. I Have been major screwed by paypal as a seller. Again visit paypalsucks.com people.

Most people who get scammed are with no feedback rookie users/sellers. How the heck someone does not see the red flag with these scammers is beyond me. Every single scammed story almost always has that moment where I think just how did one not see it's a scam.

For honest sellers EMT is a godsend.
And for dishonest buyers Paypal is.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:16 pm 

WalMart, Amazon, KMart etc etc all use PayPal. There are so many advantages that it isn't even worth talking about.the only people who complain are those who are dodgy sellers who are afraid it might expose their wonky goods and selling practices.That is what the PayPal sucks site is full of.

Virtually every scam on CAM involves an EMT payment that some poor sucker loses. Enough said.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:05 pm 
Premium User

Close to the Edge wrote:
WalMart, Amazon, KMart etc etc all use PayPal. There are so many advantages that it isn't even worth talking about.the only people who complain are those who are dodgy sellers who are afraid it might expose their wonky goods and selling practices.That is what the PayPal sucks site is full of.

Virtually every scam on CAM involves an EMT payment that some poor sucker loses. Enough said.

No Paypalsucks.com is about real people mostly sellers and their valid stories. Nice try but it is not full of "dodgy sellers afraid they might be exposed". What a joke. And not only sellers but people who had substantial cash in their accounts frozen for zero reason and having it kept. Also others that use gofundme causes and or receive donations have that cash frozen and I've even read some for political reasons. Paypal actually has so many civil law suits against them it's a joke.

What is Canuck? For many it can be a place where once in awhile you sell something. And most are honest and most once the item is sold want a simple transaction where their is no worries, no fees, Canada only, and you can basically close the door and have simple peace of mind. With paypal that is often not the case. Buyer remorse is a huge problem and used excuse and if you say no they just have to phone paypal. And they have up to 180 days to do so. Terrible.

Scams on Canuck?..Do you know how many emails I have seen with potential buyers that say they want to buy an item and will pay with paypal and will pay extra for shipping? I have received and read that others have received these "potential buyers" emails as well. They are scammers using paypal which is the easiest site to scam with as a buyer if you know how to.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:28 pm 

I have seen so many people get ripped off on CAM due to EMT usage, that EMT should be banned by the moderators.It's not all about saving money on fees as a seller. It is about creating a safe environment to buy and sell. EMT is obviously not the answer. Just read the stories here.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:33 pm 
Premium User

I have seen and read many EMT stories but also see just as many stories of sellers being phised with emails from scammers that use Paypal.

With paypal you can make it so it looks like the money is there and or take back the money from out of the sellers pocket even.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:36 pm 

I was scammed once on an iPhone sale because Paypal let it happen. Never use them again.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:47 pm 

I know many people who have scammed when they used EMT's. And they will never again buy anything without using PayPal.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:51 pm 
Premium User

And I know many people who have been scammed when they used Paypal. And they will never again sell anything without using EMT.

Ask any seller what they prefer. EMT or Paypal. There is no comparison. Peace of mind zero fee vs fees galore that the seller pays( never agreed with this retarded concept), potential chargebacks, fraud, never getting item returned, having to pay for return shipping, money theft because they didn't like the color..no matter any excuse you choose really. And hey use it for 180 days for free and still ask for your money back. Even if you left positive feedback on Ebay you can. WOW ridiculous policy.

You can be the most honest seller there is and still get scammed with paypal. Any intelligent seller fears the possibility.
And you being the most honest seller there is will not get scammed with EMT.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:43 pm 

It is pretty obvious that sellers prefer EMT - cash with no strings attached. So would I. Buyer must rely on the honesty of the seller to send the item.

It is pretty obvious that buyers prefer Paypal - safety from being scammed by item not as described or not sent at all. Sellers must rely on the honesty of buyers not to report a false claim.

If everyone is honest then either payment method works and it usually does. It is ultimately up to the seller as to how they prefer to get paid but they may limit the amount of sales by their choices. I am primarily a buyer so I prefer Paypal. The seller can check my feedback and decide if I am worth the risk or not. Of course I can check the sellers feedback as well and decide if they are worth the risk or not to send an EMT. It is a double edged sword.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:56 pm 
Premium User

I have zero concerns using EMT here on Canuck when buying. It is very easy to see scammers. Things that are usually 95% sure being one is with zero feedback users. If you send EMT to a 0 feedback user you are frankly dumb or desperate.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:35 pm 

Close to the Edge wrote:
I know many people who have scammed when they used EMT's. And they will never again buy anything without using PayPal.

there is a difference though. EMT scams are targetted scams, so there are measures to help protect oneself to avoid. May not be fool proof but a buyer can always pull out if they feel uneasy at all.
In my case with PayPal, it wasn't targeted as a scam. the buyer obviously had a mishap with the phone shortly after buying it, lied to Paypal and used them for a buyer protection at my expense. Paypal let that happen. The only mistake I made was accepting PayPal. Any other method of payment and he, not I, would have had to absorb the cost of his mishap.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:34 pm 

mpublicover wrote:
Close to the Edge wrote:

there is a difference though. EMT scams are targetted scams, so there are measures to help protect oneself to avoid. May not be fool proof but a buyer can always pull out if they feel uneasy at all.
In my case with PayPal, it wasn't targeted as a scam. the buyer obviously had a mishap with the phone shortly after buying it, lied to Paypal and used them for a buyer protection at my expense. Paypal let that happen. The only mistake I made was accepting PayPal. Any other method of payment and he, not I, would have had to absorb the cost of his mishap.

The problem with your story is that it is your side. The other side likely is a different story.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:40 pm 

Close to the Edge wrote:
mpublicover wrote:
Close to the Edge wrote:

The problem with your story is that it is your side. The other side likely is a different story.

As is yours

-- 22 Apr 2017 20:46 --

I've used both. They are simply methods of payment.

Starting point: When you deal in the Internet world you never know who you are dealing with. Just like paying cash for something. Like buying something at a market.

So put your thinking cap on and make an adult decision. Have a conversation, does it feel right? make sense? Do some Internet sleuthing, does the buyer/seller check out?

Check their history.

Use your brain, make a choice.

That's been my approach from the beginning of this newfangled Internet business model.

So far I haven't had a single problem.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next