Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:35 am 

It looks like many are scammed by someone requesting "e-Transfer".

http://www.interac.ca/en/interac-etransfer-security.html

Would it be possible to add a link somewhere on any ad that requests e-Transfer, with a note

"Please Read prior to sending money via e-transfer".

Quote from Interact - Security

Always be careful when sending money

"We all have a role to play in protecting ourselves. You should send money using Interac e-Transfer only to people you know and trust, the same way you would with cash. An Interac e-Transfer transaction cannot be reversed once a recipient has deposited the funds.

For uses where you may not know the recipient well, like online auctions or resale sites, take the same precautions you would normally take when making cash purchases. Be sure to read any guidelines for protecting yourself as outlined by the operators of each site."

Regards
Ohms

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:06 am 
Premium User

AudiOhm wrote:

Would it be possible to add a link somewhere on any ad that requests e-Transfer, with a note

"We all have a role to play in protecting ourselves. You should send money using Interac e-Transfer only to people you know and trust, the same way you would with cash. An Interac e-Transfer transaction cannot be reversed once a recipient has deposited the funds.

For uses where you may not know the recipient well, like online auctions or resale sites, take the same precautions you would normally take when making cash purchases. Be sure to read any guidelines for protecting yourself as outlined by the operators of each site."

Regards
Ohms

Yes so like do the same warning when accepting paypal ?
Because you can replace the word "e-transfer" with "paypal" and in this case can go through the exact potential fraud...as a seller.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:20 am 

AudiOhm wrote:

Regards
Ohms

I read the link you provided and am not sure where is says "many are being scammed". To me it is just common sense internet practice and interac is one of the most secure methods of payment. Scams are plentifull, take you post for example, clicking an unknown link is a common method of virus/malware transfer. I clicked because I know you and the link looked legit and was verifiable.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:26 am 

byefi wrote:
AudiOhm wrote:

Regards
Ohms

Because you can replace the word "e-transfer" with "paypal" and in this case can go through the exact potential fraud...as a seller.

Hardly the same.PayPal offers protection for buyer and seller. Not E-transfer.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:26 am 
Premium User

Kinda funny that the link is not https

-- 22 Apr 2017 11:28 --

Close to the Edge wrote:
byefi wrote:
AudiOhm wrote:

Regards
Ohms

Hardly the same.PayPal offers protection for buyer and seller. Not E-transfer.

No. Sellers CAN and do get scammed by buyers all the time. True seller protection is a joke. Paypalsucks.com all day long with years and years and thousands of complaints.

Last edited by byefi on Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:30 am 

The only issues I ever read about on this site involve e-transfer. I have done over 15,000 PayPal transactions and no issues. But I am honest so that is likely why.I would not send money by e-transfer unless I knew the person for a long time. It isn't worth the risk.

Last edited by Close to the Edge on Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:33 am 
Premium User

Close to the Edge wrote:
The only issues I ever read about on this site involve e-transfer. I have done over 15,000 PayPal transactions and no issues. But I am honest so that is likely why.

Good. You are honest. We are talking about scammers here. And Ebay is very prone to that. E transfer is a superb service for honest people. And honestly you are talking about mostly transactions you have done in the thousands on ebay. I am sure that you would be very wary of using paypal to a low FB canucker. If not oh well.

Last edited by byefi on Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:35 am 

byefi wrote:
Close to the Edge wrote:
The only issues I ever read about on this site involve e-transfer. I have done over 15,000 PayPal transactions and no issues. But I am honest so that is likely why.

Good. You are honest. We are talking about scammers here. And Ebay is very prone to that. E transfer is a superb service for honest people.

Only if you have known the person for a few years would I send money by e-transfer. There are far more issues with scams on this site than Ebay. I have had issues with 3 out of 5 sellers that I dealt with on this site. Never on Ebay. I will not buy anything on this site now.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:39 am 
Premium User

Close to the Edge wrote:
byefi wrote:
Close to the Edge wrote:

Good. You are honest. We are talking about scammers here. And Ebay is very prone to that. E transfer is a superb service for honest people.

Only if you have known the person for a few years would I send money by e-transfer. There are far more issues with scams on this site than Ebay. I have had issues with 3 out of 5 sellers that I dealt with on this site. Never on Ebay. I will not buy anything on this site now.

Wow then what a waste. More scams here? NO way jose. 3 out of 5 here!. But 1000's on ebay with no probs. Weird. Just the amount of ebay accounts I see hacked and then they use to sell with them ads you see with weird buy it now at ridiculous low prices outside or in html is like insane common. You do not see that here.
I myself send money all the time EMT and never ever had a prob. But yah I use my brain and have some pretty common sense indicators that see with almost all users getting screwed with EMT on Canuck often do not.
EMT is the ****. No fees, immediate ect ect.
I admit that when buying on ebay, paypal is great for protecting the buyer. But you can abuse that system like crazy because ebay is so heavy prone to go in favor of the buyer on chargebacks for whatever reason they say.

Last edited by byefi on Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:42 am 

Been luck so far, but I do not always trust sending more to unknown sellers.
Paypal is a bit safer especially buying stuff at ebay in China, that I've stopped now.
Meet in person is best, but again, sales are always in trust both ways.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:45 am 

I have had literally 2 chargebacks in 19 years on Ebay-and both times they were resolved. It is not a common occurrence.Also, I find the buyers very honest, especially overseas.I once had a lost item that did not have tracking. So after 10 weeks, I refunded the buyer. Two weeks later he emailed me that he received the item , then resent the money for the item. In fact, that has happened 2 or 3 times.Those are the types of Ebay members I come across. When you treat people right, you get treated properly in response.If you are afraid to use PayPal as a seller, it likely means you don't trust the item you are selling and are in fear of the buyer putting in a claim.No payment method is perfect, but PayPal is by far the best we have.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:48 am 
Premium User

Close to the Edge wrote:
I have had literally 2 chargebacks in 19 years on Ebay-and both times they were resolved. It is not a common occurrence.Also, I find the buyers very honest, especially overseas.I once had a lost item that did not have tracking. So after 10 weeks, I refunded the buyer. Two weeks later he emailed me that he received the item , then resent the money for the item. In fact, that has happened 2 or 3 times.Those are the types of Ebay members I come across. When you treat people right, you get treated properly in response.If you are afraid to use PayPal as a seller, it likely means you don't trust the item you are selling and are in fear of the buyer putting in a claim.No payment method is perfect, but PayPal is by far the best we have.

Paypal being good or not has nothing to do with what you have written and is the only real way to do business compared to no other service to pay on Ebay.
It is heavy buyer protected and the scams are abundant. Just because you have a rather unique experience does not say that is the way it is for every other seller I know that frankly quit ebay years ago because they were getting flat out screwed be it with item not as described or not received and then never get it back even so losing the money And the item. You are on your own island but most others(sellers) I know do not share your experience.

Last edited by byefi on Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:53 am 

+1 on Paypal. I have had no problems with Paypal and it is my preferred method of payment. I have sent EMT a half dozen times without issue as sellers are starting to reject Paypal as a means of payment. This still makes me nervous as it offers zero protection for the buyer. As I live in no mans land I don't really have a choice (besides not buying).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:58 am 
Premium User

Albert wrote:
+1 on Paypal. I have had no problems with Paypal and it is my preferred method of payment. I have sent EMT a half dozen times without issue as sellers are starting to reject Paypal as a means of payment. This still makes me nervous as it offers zero protection for the buyer. As I live in no mans land I don't really have a choice (besides not buying).

Why are they rejecting paypal I wonder. Quite a few sellers are fed up so no wonder. I will never send anything if paid with paypal. And I am extremely honest and serious and have nothing to hide.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:13 am 

byefi wrote:
Albert wrote:

Why are they rejecting paypal I wonder. Quite a few sellers are fed up so no wonder. I will never send anything if paid with paypal. And I am extremely honest and serious and have nothing to hide.

Your reaction is rare.PayPal is growing and that is because of the relative safety as opposed to other methods. Lot's of retail stores now accept PayPal and again, it is the relative safety.Nothing is perfect and dishonest people will get around any method of payment, including credit cards. But I can tell you that if a seller will not accept Paypal, then a red flag goes up against that seller .That points to some issue with that seller or the items he sells.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next