Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:56 pm 

I have been told that the website has a bug regarding the listing of authorized dealers for a brand, at the bottom of the page of classified ads for that brand. In our particular case, there are two dealers identifying themselves as MOON dealers (Simaudio) when in fact we do not know either of them, and both are not Authorized Dealers for our products. Is there indeed an issue with this website?
Thank you.
Costa Koulisakis
Simaudio Ltd.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:11 pm 
Site Admin

You can see a list of dealers who claim to sell Simaudio here:

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/brands/2 ... ealer_list

The list does not imply those stores are official dealers, only that they sell the brand, however, as the brand you can contact them to open a discussion on removing themselves from the list. If that doesn't work we may be able to help.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:21 pm 

Thank you for the quick response. However, the question I put forth has not been directly answered. Based on your reply I will assume that there is no bug with the website, and please tell me if otherwise.

If I may add my commentary to this, the current arrangement of allowing a dealer to advertise themselves as a seller of the brand without being a formally appointed authorized dealer by the manufacturer or distributor is misleading. Anyone can do that and CAM seems to exercise no effort to mediate this. The manner and context in which the dealer information is displayed will lead the average visitor to assume they are all authorized dealers. What we can enforce is non-authorized entities to refrain from using our intellectual property (logos, artwork, etc.) though to our knowledge this has not been violated. On the other hand, the information to the user is unclear. Perhaps CAM should enforce the listing of a dealer with a notation next to the name denoting whether the entity is an Authorized Retailer or not. If not, then the dealer dabbles in used gear, which is fine, but it should be clear.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:56 pm 
Premium User

Costa94109 wrote:
Thank you for the quick response. However, the question I put forth has not been directly answered. Based on your reply I will assume that there is no bug with the website, and please tell me if otherwise.

If I may add my commentary to this, the current arrangement of allowing a dealer to advertise themselves as a seller of the brand without being a formally appointed authorized dealer by the manufacturer or distributor is misleading. Anyone can do that and CAM seems to exercise no effort to mediate this. The manner and context in which the dealer information is displayed will lead the average visitor to assume they are all authorized dealers. What we can enforce is non-authorized entities to refrain from using our intellectual property (logos, artwork, etc.) though to our knowledge this has not been violated. On the other hand, the information to the user is unclear. Perhaps CAM should enforce the listing of a dealer with a notation next to the name denoting whether the entity is an Authorized Retailer or not. If not, then the dealer dabbles in used gear, which is fine, but it should be clear.

This is not a bug, this is as a result of the dealers "claiming" to be authorized dealers or resellers of any given product. CAM does not, as a practice, police or verify the authenticity of factory authorization for reselling or servicing specific brands., nor can the volunteer moderators without full and current knowledge of who is (or one was and no longer is) authorized by who to distribute or resell their products. Since the list in question is populated with the information supplied by the dealers, we have no control over this.

IMO, this is no different than a dealer advertising your products in La Presse or The Gazette newspapers. Your legal recourse in those cases is to go after the delinquent dealers, not after the newspapers. As such, the advertiser and/or manufacturer bears the responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisement.

We can, upon being advised of the misinformation, tell the advertiser to remove any false information from his ads and, if they refuse to do so, take further action.

CAM Moderation Team

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:01 am 

Thank you for the reply.

I had not meant to suggest that CAM assume a responsibility beyond its control. My purpose and motive is to suggest CAM implement some kind of clarification on a dealer's status for the sole purpose of helping to protect the interests of visitors to this site. Even a disclaimer that appears on top of every dealer listing may be sufficient. As mentioned, the dealer listing is misleading in its present form. Otherwise, it would appear CAM absolves itself of this (what I consider to be) basic responsibility towards consumers.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:52 pm 
Site Admin

One idea might be to allow dealers to distinguish between brands they sell and the ones they are officially authorized to carry, however, we've seen situations where dealers might forget to change their settings after they are no longer an authorized reseller.

So what I'll look at doing is trying to make more emphasis that the commercial businesses listed under a brand are saying they sell the items. It might clear things up a bit.