Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Constant spam email
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:44 pm 

I inquired about an item for sale on the classifieds and got a helpful response and information from the user.

Although, I decided not to pursue, Ii now get the same email from the seller sent to my inbox 3-4 times a day, clogging my inbox. how do I get these emails to stop? The seller does not know how to stop them (and are not responsible for them)

Post subject: Re: Constant spam email
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:06 pm 

There could be multiple reasons and the problem may even lay on your email service and not his. Easiest way to rectify is to teach your email client that emails from this sender are spam. They will be filtered off to a specific spam folder or not delivered to your inbox at all. This can be undone so turn the filter off in a couple of weeks, it will most likely fix it’s self by then.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:22 pm 

Ok thanks, I have told Apple Mail to mark as Junk. Hopefully it learns in a few weeks!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:39 am 
Site Admin

tap360, the email that you marked as Junk, in the "From" field is it an @canuckaudiomart.com email address? I ask because if you mark that as spam it will prevent CAM from sending you emails from now on.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:28 am 

˄Took that into consideration. The OP did state he received “helpful response and information” from the seller, so I took that as communicating via email outside the initial CAM notification when responding to an ad. Wouldn’t have suggested to block a @canuckaudiomart.com email address.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:01 am 
Site Admin

Edit: tap360 - I think I've determined that the "spam" is indeed related to the CAM system trying to forward the reply to you. I think this is in relation to a Primare pre-amp. We'll try to figure out what's going on. Sorry about this!

sthomas1049 wrote:
˄Took that into consideration. The OP did state he received “helpful response and information” from the seller, so I took that as communicating via email outside the initial CAM notification when responding to an ad. Wouldn’t have suggested to block a @canuckaudiomart.com email address.

Not a problem sthomas1049 and thanks as always for helping out with users who ask questions - I ask because the error reported by OP seemed quite unusual and that usually tells me to pay dig deeper or risk missing an important systemic issue. The blocking of CAM was not as important as determining whether the email was sent repeatedly from CAM, which might indicate a CAM bug. In certain situations, depending on how an email client replies to a CAM response, the emails are routed through a CAM reply system similar to a simplified variant of Craigslists' anonymizing forwarder. In such situations it's possible for a Reply from the Seller to actually appear to be from an @canuckaudiomart.com email. I also asked because in theory the CAM forwarder could "get stuck" in a repeating loop and that's why the OP might be seeing the email over and over despite the Seller not himself sending any emails.

In such a situation the flow of emails looks like this:

1. Buyer replies to Ad on CAM ----> email is sent to seller@foo.bar
  2. Certain email clients do not respect the Reply-To header and replies are sent back to forwarder123@canuckaudiomart.com
  3. These emails are then forwarded to the Buyer by CAM itself

The above scenario is relatively rare because only a non-standards compliant client will send the email back to an @canuckaudiomart.com forwarding email, but one big example is the Windows 10 Mail client.

I believe, but am not sure, that under the above scenario, the reply sent to Buyer on behalf of the seller will have a From: forwarder234@canuckaudiomart.com whilst using a Reply-To: tap360@icloud.com (the actual sender email).

Hopefully these headache inducing details explain the potential situation (and probably illustrates just how complicated just a simple email reply system is to design/maintain in the modern climate). Some of these implementation details are a necessary evil due to various spam filters and deliverability requirements, but they do add an increase in "Junk" mail flagging potentially affecting CAM deliveries.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:13 pm 

Good news. I think after 3 weeks, the 4 daily emails have now stopped!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:38 pm 
Site Admin

The reason why yours stopped was that the bug occurs a maximum of 100 times, and the 100th time it occurred was on Jul 3rd. However, I'm happy to report now that we've made some fixes to prevent the actual bug itself.