Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:13 pm 
Site Admin

selkirk wrote:
We've been undergoing some significant firewall/web filter upgrades lately....so things have been in a state of flux. As the network admin tweaks settings that permit "legitimate" web usage, cdn.staticneo.com has been alternating between blocked and unblocked status.

Admittedly, I've been somewhat hesitant to ask him to unblock it on a permanent basis......and have just been living with the funky formatting for now.

May I ask how is it that you know that the domain is classified as games oriented? Does your browser specifically give a detailed block reason? Can you lso elaborate on the company's official web policy, is it to block all non-work related sites (even those outside of "games oriented" classification)? For instance, would they or do they block ebay, Agon, craigslist, Amazon, Best Buy, Walmart, Canadian Tire, Costco, The Bay, ESPN, The Globe & Mail, etc? I assume they block social media sites like Facebook and Twitter.

I'm asking because I wonder if some of our CDN domains are being caught unintentionally and if we changed CDN domains whether it would eventually get blocked as well, and for the most part CAM would be classified as a "shopping" site more than anything else.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:02 am 

admin wrote:
May I ask how is it that you know that the domain is classified as games oriented? Does your browser specifically give a detailed block reason?

If I attempt to access cdn.staticneo.com directly, I receive the following notification from the web filter:
Attachment:
Block_Message.jpg
Block_Message.jpg [ 50.53 KiB | Viewed 171 times ]

admin wrote:
Can you lso elaborate on the company's official web policy, is it to block all non-work related sites (even those outside of "games oriented" classification)? For instance, would they or do they block ebay, Agon, craigslist, Amazon, Best Buy, Walmart, Canadian Tire, Costco, The Bay, ESPN, The Globe & Mail, etc? I assume they block social media sites like Facebook and Twitter.

Aside from the the usual social media restrictions, our policy is primarily focused on bandwidth management. We let YouTube through, but most other media streaming sites are blocked. I've never had an issue accessing any other sales related sites, such as Audiogon, Kijiji, Amazon, etc. No issue with news sites either.

admin wrote:
I'm asking because I wonder if some of our CDN domains are being caught unintentionally and if we changed CDN domains whether it would eventually get blocked as well, and for the most part CAM would be classified as a "shopping" site more than anything else.

If you have an alternate domain, I'm happy to test a link...and see if the current policy will let it through.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:10 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Selkirk and audiobasic2000:

Please check now if the site loads properly at your respective work computers and in various browsers. We've switched the CDN to a different domain.

It'd be nice if we could convince Barracuda and other firewall companies to recategorize the previous CDN but in our experience its easier just to change how we do things (takes less time).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:28 am 

admin wrote:

Please check now if the site loads properly at your respective work computers and in various browsers. We've switched the CDN to a different domain.

It'd be nice if we could convince Barracuda and other firewall companies to recategorize the previous CDN but in our experience its easier just to change how we do things (takes less time).

Good Morning, Admins:

Good work! Hope you didn't need to work around the clock to resolve it. Looks like the change has worked. The site is displaying like it used to. However, not sure why the some of the topics under the 'Forum Messages' are in Chinese/Japaneses characters. i.e., Kanji character! Thanks.

Attachments:
CAM-Display-Messed-Up-3.jpg
CAM-Display-Messed-Up-3.jpg [ 95.59 KiB | Viewed 143 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:11 am 

admin wrote:

The new CDN domain still looks to be blocked for me.....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:30 am 

I'll check on Tuesday when I return to work. I work at a large Gov't organization and it was also not allowing me to load up CAM correctly for the last few weeks.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:51 am 

They were posted that way...

audiobasic2000 wrote:
not sure why the some of the topics under the 'Forum Messages' are in Chinese/Japaneses characters

Those topics were the work of a Chinese-language spammer. They have been removed.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:09 am 

Very strange... at home all aspects of the site look fine on iMac or iPad.
At work on a Windows machine the forums display correctly, but the classifieds appear to be in safe mode...
I'll check privacy settings, but one would think if the forums look good that the classifieds wouldn't look broken.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:46 am 

For those having troubles with the site displaying incorrectly at work, just note that your work’s web security policies is what is blocking some of the elements of the CAM web site. If you are comfortable with speaking with your IT dept, you can bring it up with them. At the very least they should be able to give you an explanation as to why the site is not displaying properly.

There are many components to a web site outside the URL you are trying to visit that a company’s firewall may block. It could be for security reasons or it could be blocked in error. If the site displayed correctly in the past then a change was made to your works firewall.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:01 am 

Good Afternoon, Admins:

Did something change again in the last 1/2 hr (unless our work IT changed something again on the Firewall)? :( The display is back to what it was prior to the switching the the CDN to a different domain. Thanks.

Sincerely,
Kingsley.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:17 pm 
Site Admin

@audiobasic2000: it seems like Barracuda now defines the CDN as a "parked site".

You can see if you can reach this:

https://staticn.com/neoassets/country/ca.gif

If you cannot reach it maybe you can show a screenshot of the problem, it might give us some insight if it is blocked by Barracuda or another firewall policy.

@devon58: the site uses much more code than the forums do and relies on a CDN to deliver the code that specifies design and functionality (like Replying to an ad). Can you visit the URL above and take a screenshot of what your browser shows?

@selkirk: does your block message tell you the category? Does it say "parked site"?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:39 pm 

admin wrote:
https://staticn.com/neoassets/country/ca.gif

@devon58: the site uses much more code than the forums do and relies on a CDN to deliver the code that specifies design and functionality (like Replying to an ad). Can you visit the URL above and take a screenshot of what your browser shows?

Tried and could not open page...
Already had TLS 1.0/1.1/1.2 turned on.

Attachments:
staticn.jpg
staticn.jpg [ 67.4 KiB | Viewed 50 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:41 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for that devon58, can you use Chrome and try that again? I've seen IE give errors about HTTPS which seem to be false positives (it might actually be something aside from SSL).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:49 pm 

No luck in Chrome, slightly different error message.
Note this from a Colleague's Windows computer.

Attachments:
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg [ 44.97 KiB | Viewed 46 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:58 pm 

Good Afternoon Admins:

From the link, here are the screen shots for Chrome, IE, and Firefox.

Thanks.

Attachments:
CAM-Admins-GIF-Links-Security-Warning-3.jpg [22.06 KiB]
Downloaded 1 time
CAM-Admins-GIF-Links-Security-Warning-2.jpg
CAM-Admins-GIF-Links-Security-Warning-2.jpg [ 23.55 KiB | Viewed 41 times ]
CAM-Admins-GIF-Links-Security-Warning-1.jpg
CAM-Admins-GIF-Links-Security-Warning-1.jpg [ 23.51 KiB | Viewed 41 times ]