Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: electrical outlet box
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:39 am 

I have a dedicated line running to my basement. The outlet box is attached to pine paneling which is affixed to the concrete block wall with strapping rather than a stud wall. To accommodate a Furutech 20a outlet, I upgraded the wire to 12/2 and switched to a 2 inch deep box from 1.5. I also drilled a half inch deep outline of the box into the concrete block to keep the outlet flush with the wall.

The sound has taken on a metallic or hard edge. At first I thought it was the outlet breaking in but too much time has passed. It was tough squeezing the Furutech into a metal box. I'm thinking about building a short stud wall to keep the outlet box off the concrete and/or switching to a more flexible plastic box. Any thoughts or experience that you can share. It might just be a decline in my hearing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:59 am 

Are you using any type of power conditioner? The method of mounting the outlet box will not affect the sound....your issue is the current being delivered.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:44 am 

Found this on the Internet

BOX
1-check polarity-correct or different polarity than old?
2-Was any creme-no lox or anti-arcing or gold type mtl used/
3-how are the ground wires connected? This is important.
PANEL
4-At panel was same breaker used or a different one? a heavy duty thicker in girth breaker? Made of Aluminum or copper? Was anti-arcing creme used? any such thing?
5-How is the grounding in the box from this line connected? Direct to screw bolt/washer or onto a paint surface or inside a marrette or grounding block direct? With anti-arcing creme or some such?
6A-Was the physical location on the bars in the very same location meaning the same side off the mains? was any other work done inside the panel at the same time?
6B-Was the box load balanced re equal load both legs off the panel?
GROUNDING
7-Was the grounding system changed? In any way? Did you run a separate ground line or hammer a rod into the ground or attach a band onto a water line or attach a jumper connecting both the pre/before and after pipes from the water in pipe underground from the road to the main inside house shutoff valve attached to the in to the water metre then the pipe out from the water metre feeding the house. Heaavy rubber washers stop any grounding so make sure there is a joiner wire allowing uninterrupted ground here. If in the Country make sure you have jumpers anywhere you have say a backflow preventer valve or water pump.
OTHER
8-Have you added anything like an electrical applicance fridge, stove, micro, electrical filter system, transformer, timer, dimmer control, these new LED light Bulbs and so on or even an audio HIFI component or interconnect or wire or cable like speaker, spades, XLR, RCA, optical?
9-Have you taken apart any wires, cable to remove the tarnish or do YOU INTEND TO DO SO? Cleaning rca and all connectors (best to look up this on many different web sites then order in the materials and then clean all tarnish CAUSING NO HARM OR SCRATCHES OR REMOVAL OF MATERIALS gentle is the word here. Very gentle, very gentle.
10-Have you got a new hydro meter from Hydro supply company?
11-Call Hydro Company, have they done anything at the nearest substation or at a pole near you regarding the transformer feeding your home? Some of these have mains taps that can be adjusted and maybe they were or were not.
12-Maybe some one somewhere is plugging in something next door or you and your neighbour join up your supply wires at the pole or underground and something he is doing is effing up your electrical if you are not doing it to yourself.

Let us know point by point. It will take some time.

Possibly you must waterproof with I recommend a rubber based compound you can brush on all around where the metal box (( and also maybe change this out for a non conductive box )) where the metal box touches the damp or maybe wet block altering ground causing a wierd current flow or maybe a ground loop of some sort?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:40 am 

Thanks for the replies. I run a P10 for my front end but I have tried using a Duet instead and it made just a small difference. I've switched out all my equipment except the cables. I'll have to try that.

I do run LED lights all over the house including T8's in my listening room. I haven't changed the ground wire but a wireless water meter has been installed next to the connection on the water pipe. I did notice that things have gotten worse since my electrician neighbor moved in several years ago. A fridge has been moved and I just noticed the old connection which was supposedly dedicated isn't grounded. When I turn off the breaker for that connection, I can make phone calls but anyone calling me gets a message indicating my Rogers voice mail has not been turned on. It's a 65 year old house that was upgraded to breakers in the mid 90's.

I'm going to get an electrician, maybe my neighbor, to check everything.