Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Dricore underflooring
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:34 pm 

Building a garage with a music room and considering some subflloor to go on well cured older concrete. Don,t think moisture is an issue but don,t want cold floors. Is their any acoustic factors with Dricore OSB panels or any other product. Could tough it out with cold floors if their are negatives in terms of sound.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:37 pm 

You might try glueing and screwing 2 for 3 sheets of 1 inch MDF together that would bridge over at least 3 Dricore tiles, i.e., 2 joints, in order to stabilize the tiles against vibration. You could also drill holes through the Dricore to let the feet and/or spikes rest directly on the concrete. I would decide where to put the cabinetry before laying down the Dricore; that way you could avoid any obvious dips or humps or cracks in the concrete. You could check the spikes for rust, from time to time, to see if you have any moisture problems. That said, Dricore has multiple feet, instead of being flat on the bottom, specifically to let air circulate and allow any moisture to dry out.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:59 am 

Take a look at this product.

http://www.cosella-dorken.com/bvf-ca-en ... cts/fl.php

I've used it a few times, makes a great floor over concrete and less expensive. Lay it down and tape it. Use T&G plywood over it and lots of Tapcon screws.

Mine have all been dry, warm and silent.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:05 am 

It is not in my garage, but the Delta FL and 5/8 T&G plywood as my basement subfloor has been great for the past 3 years.

I would do it again for sure. Warmer floor, no concerns of small amounts of water coming up through the slab.

Cheaper than Dricore, and effectively the same.

I have not noticed any sound related issues other than in 1 spot where it could have used 1-2 more tapcons. It makes a noise when I walk over that one section.

Mark in Burlington

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:12 am 

+1 for Delta floor, great product.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:09 am 

I used Dri-core for subfloor in a laundry room, with a definite moisture problem (no vapour barrier under the poured concrete floor); at the time I also saw a 2' x 2' subfloor product that had a 1" expanded polystyrene foam backing, if you wanted to have insulation under your subfloor. The Dri-core instructions required a plywood floor on top, screwed or fastened to the Dri-core, to keep the panels from moving. I'm not sure of the effects on sound quality, however, of the air gap under the Dri-core.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:57 am 

I am also a fan of the Delta product. I currently have it in use in my basement. I can't comment on the acoustic impact, but it has resulted in a dry floor in my basement :)

Sincerely,
BRuce

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:02 am 

I would also recommend the Delta product, way cheaper than Dricore and probably better as it is a larger sheet. ie less gaps for moisture to get through.
However, I don't see the reason to go and get Delta-FL when you can get the Delta-MS for almost half the price.
The Delta-MS is an exterior foundation wrap that also has dimples and serves the same purpose.
As long as you are going to put a sheet of plywood on top I have yet to hear any real reason why the Delta-FL is double the price of the Delta-MS product.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:12 am 

Thanks for all the input. I have checked out all the products mentioned and feel the Dricore with the blue insulation on the underside would work for me. Moisture does not seem to be an issue in my garage and where we live it is very dry. There is protection with the styrofoam. The biggest advantage would be the dead sound which would be a benefit in a music room.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:55 am 

My mistake, it was Delta MS used in my basement. I did not notice FL vs MS until I googled some pics.

The MS absolutely works just fine with T&G plywood over it.

Mark in Burlington

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:12 am 

Apparently MS and FL are made out of different materials - MS might have more of a plastic smell as it's for exterior use where the smell isn't an issue.

(Based on Internet mythology so take that as you will)