Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Nailed it!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:57 pm 

I'm pro subwoofer. Subwoofers for stereo. Subwoofers for home theatre. Subwoofers used in concert with full-range speakers. But they are a pain in the a** to set up, no doubt. Especially if one is not using software-based room correction. Even then, there are no guarantees of that sweet curve we like to see and hear. If you're fussy and consider yourself a bit of an audiophile, there will be lots of tweaking, shuffling of speakers, and perhaps of furniture, too.

I think it's why you'll find many who hate subwoofers, and are happy with front and left mains for their two channel audio, and prefer no subs anywhere, even for home theatre (god forbid... heheh).

I've used Anthem's ARC room correction in the past for stereo and home theatre. It was excellent. I probably could have gone deeper into its menu and spent more time tweaking it so every single song I played sounded perfect in my listening space, but at some point I thought the heck with it. It's 98% there. I have a life. The odd bass line that goes awry I can live with. I had a dip somewhere in the curve, and it caused boomy bass the odd song.

When I switched to a dedicated two-channel audio system, I still used two subs with an external subwoofer control / crossover. I still encountered the same problem as before, getting the setup about 98% correct, no matter how much time and energy I put into it. I was working hard at perfecting it, but not smarter, I suppose.

I've full range left / right speakers, and thought I'd remove the subs and just listen to, and be content with, 2.0 channel audio. But I wasn't happy. I tried to be happy with it. But the 2.0 channel relationship wasn't going anywhere. It was annoying!

Well, today folks, I nailed it. I brought the subs back in. Repositioned them, and raised them 8" from the floor. Set the crossover for 50Hz. Tweaked the crossover some more. Relied on my ears. Selected the problem songs expecting the same boomy bass, and voila!, the sweet curve was there! Tight, warm, bottom end. No boomy bass anywhere. On any track. At any volume. A perfect blend with my mains. The mains are happy dealing with with the highs and mids down to 50 Hz, and passing off all that lower end to the subs.

Ahhh, the simple things in life. "Simple when you get it right, and nail it", someone shouts.

Do I have to work tomorrow? Damn.

Post subject: Re: Nailed it!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:12 pm 

system tweeking is the main part of this hobby..I am happy for you, that you get it right and now play more music!