Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:42 pm 

Wouldn't this be great to house your audio gear.
http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified- ... k_27083082

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:05 pm 

It would look cool with a certain decor, but it wouldn't be the best for gear isolation (turntable in particular), and would also act as a rather large reverberating box, which may be problematic depending on speaker placement in relation to the furnishing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:24 am 

Throw your amp, preamp, cd player, dac, tuner, etc. on the shelf's or where the speakers are/were housed and you're good to go! Totally cool!! If necessary paint it to match your decor. Something with some style and character vs the mundane clinical appearance of the ubiquitous glass shelf system.

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:16 am 

Hi Audioroom: I was a kid when such "stereo consoles" were all the rage. I recall the family trip to buy one. It sat in the living room for many years. By my teen years, a buddy & I had replaced the speakers with better ones. If you have a house with 1960s furniture and decor then such an item would be the perfect addition.

The reason most audiophiles go for racks is ease of access, ventilation and isolation. Such a "stereo console" has none of these.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:56 am 
Premium User

Where is the FRAUD in this thread?

Last time I checked it was not fraudulent to try and sell Console Stereos with defective turntables, no matter what the price is, when it is clearly stated that the TT is defective.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:29 am 

cyrus wrote:
It would look cool with a certain decor, but it wouldn't be the best for gear isolation (turntable in particular), and would also act as a rather large reverberating box, which may be problematic depending on speaker placement in relation to the furnishing.

I once had a beautiful teak Stereo Cabinet it was more like a piece of furniture.My Turn Table sounded like it was in a giant cello,absolutely horrible.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:37 am 

Tom_r wrote:
Throw your amp, preamp, cd player, dac, tuner, etc. on the shelf's or where the speakers are/were housed and you're good to go! Totally cool!! If necessary paint it to match your decor. Something with some style and character vs the mundane clinical appearance of the ubiquitous glass shelf system.

Or even use it as a TV stand and replace the speakers with modern ones inside the cabinet. I think it gives a nice retro look as an eclectic piece. Just thought it was a cool idea.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:08 am 

No just no.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:41 am 

The cabinetry would be decent Deilcraft quality. It also comes complete with a Dual 1009 original series turntable. Using that turntable will deal with vibration as it is a suspended table on springs. It will handle any modern medium compliance cartridge. The tube amplifier with the original built in speaker drivers will be matched for each other. It may need a magnetic preamp to become modern. If I was local to it for $60, I'd be on it like a dirty shirt. Considering all the 50's amps that are being "modded" and sold without the cabinetry for big bucks(look to Bob Carver for an exxample), I'd take it and use it all original as intended. Consoles were never meant for people who "seriously" listen to music in the "sweet spot", they were meant to fill a room with pleasant sounds to live your life by. That cabinet with simple lines will fit in many a modern setting. Use the auxilliary input on the back for an iPood and you have it made in a "Mad Men" kind of way.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:00 pm 

Circular Vibes wrote:
The cabinetry would be decent Deilcraft quality. It also comes complete with a Dual 1009 original series turntable. Using that turntable will deal with vibration as it is a suspended table on springs. It will handle any modern medium compliance cartridge. The tube amplifier with the original built in speaker drivers will be matched for each other. It may need a magnetic preamp to become modern. If I was local to it for $60, I'd be on it like a dirty shirt. Considering all the 50's amps that are being "modded" and sold without the cabinetry for big bucks(look to Bob Carver for an exxample), I'd take it and use it all original as intended. Consoles were never meant for people who "seriously" listen to music in the "sweet spot", they were meant to fill a room with pleasant sounds to live your life by. That cabinet with simple lines will fit in many a modern setting. Use the auxilliary input on the back for an iPood and you have it made in a "Mad Men" kind of way.

Great post. My thoughts exactly.