Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:07 pm 

A very helpful building bible if you're interested in what is possible.

https://www.amazon.ca/Handbook-Sound-St ... 007177274X

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:29 pm 

"Optimum Listen Round Size"

W.T.F. ?? I had to click on it just to try to figure that out. Listen guys, we all know you can actually SEE the words forming as you type them out, right?

Edit by Mods, title fixed

Last edited by dc23 on Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:21 am 

LOL! Yes I made a mistake, u must be an english teacher, LMAO!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:04 pm 

Naw, just a speaker. And feeling under threat from all sides. Just remember, auto-correct is not always your friend.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:08 pm 

Thanks, mods, but listenING, plz.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:38 pm 

Decware has an article on this subject.

http://www.decware.com/paper36.htm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:00 pm 

SgtRock04 wrote:
Ok, I will be building a fresh, new listening room In basement soon, what is the best shape, size of room, assuming the height is a regular 7' (?) feet high? Please & thank U. SgtRock

H-U-U-G-E as Trump would say is the best.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:45 pm 

Hey Sgt. Rock, did you ask the Howling Commandos? lol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:18 pm 

Loved those Howling Commandos! Great drama when I was a kid! They said buy & build the best! LOL

& DuffyD, Great article on sound room dimensions, just ordered Master handbook of Acoustics & looking at another similar book as well! thnx CAM'rs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:24 am 

Zipp wrote:
You live in Ontario,talk to people in your hi end audio stores so no mistakes are made.one important room component not done correctly could make the whole build a waste of time and money.I have seen mistakes or ignorance first hand and could put such a soured taste in you mouth that you give up and pretend it all never happened.There many small but very important parts in build that "must"be addressed to have music nirvana.Some very important things like hvac,power lines,door dissign,different drywall thickness for walls and ceiling,also no resets lighting,these things are often over looked if a professional is not involved.After mistakes are made correcting them will be very expensive or not able to correct at all.Ventilation is very important for comfort and tube venting,and if you were not planning to use tubes along with you analog rig,you should maybe take up a different hobby like ballet,or playing the accordion,both of which involve listening to music,a room done right will be your most favorite place on the planet!

I concur....

We build some top flight rooms for wealthy customers each year and the occasional room for this purpose for someone on a budget.
What I say to all my customers is , what are you trying to do/achieve ? and how much resources are you willing to invest to get there. Everything is driven from there.
Of note for the OP is there is a huge difference between a room that has "soundproofing" and a room that "sounds good"....they have nothing to do with one another. Also, if your going through this you should be building something nicer than a drywall box. Proper design of interior woodwork (for example columns) and ceiling treatments (like a box beam ceiling under your soundproofing) can not only bring years of aesthetic pleasure but help the room "sound better".

So, without getting to into the details....and as stated the devil here is 100% in the details...I often send people to the Vicoustic website...not because I use there products as such but if you dig through to the "build" supplies portion of there web site, their products and associated PDF's and how to drawings can really shed some light on the kind of mindset one needs when dealing with sound transmission.

As I suggested though, as important and great it is to have a room that doesn't transmit sound, my default to those customers on a budget is to concentrate on a room that is beautiful to be in and is built with good sound in mind first....

Or you can always just hire us to build it for you :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:30 am 

For a three grand budget I'd invest in a good chair, good scotch and good headphones.