Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:59 am 

Ok, I will be building a fresh, new listening room In basement soon, what is the best shape, size of room, assuming the height is a regular 7' (?) feet high? Please & thank U. SgtRock

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:34 am 
Premium User

SgtRock04 wrote:
Ok, I will be building a fresh, new listening room In basement soon, what is the best shape, size of room, assuming the height is a regular 7' (?) feet high? Please & thank U. SgtRock

Normal room height is, and has pretty much always been 8 feet. 7' ceilings are considered pretty low by modern standards, usually only found in houses with dropped basement ceilings or much older houses that have had the basement excavated to install a proper foundation.

As a general rule avoid room dimensions the are direct multiples of each other. For example for an 8' height avoid widths and lengths of 12' or 16'. So, decent room dimension for an 8 foot ceiling might be 14' X 20'. 8'X12'X16' is a serious problem room in terms of acoustics, 8'X16'x16' can be an absolute sonic nightmare because sound waves start re-enforcing and cancelling each other out, causing peaks and troughs at different (usually bass) frequencies.

Optimal room dimensions are quite wasteful of building materials and seemingly oddball measurements if you follow the accepted perfect "Golden Rule" dimension ratios of .62x1x1.62, but you can get a pretty decent room with more conventional room dimensions. Another widely used ratio is Louden's Ratio or .71x1x1.36. The Golden Rule ratio gives the smoothest response over the full audio bandwidth, Louden's Ratio gives the best results at frequencies below 200Hz.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:00 am 

Generally bigger is better, and room symmetry and uniformity are not necessarily good for sound, so make a space you can live with that includes a closed sealed room and not an open space to above.

Make the walls and ceiling rigid, use plywood before surface finishes. Insulation will reduce noise transmission into rest of house. Drywall flexes and "Booms".

Best way to get wide bandwidth low distortion bass in any small space is to have three or four passive subwoofers distributed around the space, running mono signal. Build em in now using products from suppliers such as Sonance, PSB, Fathom, JBL Synthesis among others.

Get a space for the equipment rack ideally in an adjacent space, not in the room, and provide a dedicated 15 amp service for the audio electronics + wired data + feed to outdoor antenna for radio.

Do this and any well engineered speaker will work.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:23 am 

Draw up a sketch with what you got now and post it.
Include locations of windows,HVAC,water heater,lolly posts,main beam etc..
Probably best to start with that.

Gary

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:46 am 

Building and designing an Audio Room from scratch can get very expensive, very quickly, so please set yourself a budget first. This budget will determine the quality and type of materials you can use, construction costs and electrical work.

I personally don't care for the idea of having one's gear in an another room, especially if you're primarily playing vinyl. It just doesn't makes sense to do that IMO. Also, why thin out your funds for your main Audio room by shifting them away to another.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:41 am 

From the master book of acoustics. Bolts "blob".

Dimensions within the blob give equal modal distribution.

As mentioned, so long as sides and height do not share common dividers and are not divisible by eachother you are in good shape. Avoid squares and double width/length rectangles as mentioned. Once your room is furnished and you put a weak point in a wall like a window or door the dimension "rules" become guidelines anyway.

If you are building a room from scratch you should really be looking at noise transmission. Insulated all around with 5/8" drywall mounted on resilient channel, or hat track with clips, is an excellent idea. Lowering your noise floor should be of equal importance to you as "ideal"dimensions at this stage of the game. ;) If you want in depth help shoot me a pm. Or ask here and everyone can learn.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:13 pm 

How much space do you have available? 13' x 20' would be a reasonable start.

Cheers,
Alec

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:07 pm 
Premium User

As I mentioned earlier, it is easy to go way overboard with a listening room. The goal should not be to aim for the "perfect" room which can easily run the price of a small house, but rather to get a room that avoids the majority of serious mistakes and sounds better than the average. It also depends on what kind of system will be going into the room and any other potential uses the room will have as well as the available budget. It is foolish to sink more into building a custom listening room than the system is worth.

IMHO, the single biggest part of investing in a scratch built listening room is ....... PLANNING AHEAD.

From the previous thread we know what the system is:

Components are; NADC375bee, Project Debut Carbon/red, Project tube box S, 2 pair Paradigm Atom monitors, Paradigm 100 sub. This is for playing my vinyl & then I have an NAD 516 CD player & Arcam rDac for digital

From the same thread, we also know that the OP has a budget of $3 to 4K for the room and speaker upgrades.

So, getting a grip on reality here, proposing $20k+ worth of materials and labor for the room alone just doesn't make any sense to me. It is HIS money after all, and the ultimate goal is getting the best bang for his bucks.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:22 pm 

If you're building from scratch you might consider putting these in the floor. :lol:
http://tinyurl.com/yastxxm

At my desk right now: Kavent CD-731, Gallo Stradas, Gallo TR3D Sub, Raysonic SE-30A mk II (winter amp), ShengYa AS90 (summer amp), Dragonfly DAC2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:58 pm 

A low room noise floor trumps all other gear related upgrades, because it improves low level audibility of any audio device you decide to use -especially low efficiency bookshelf setups. When every db of headroom counts, dont start 20db in the hole competing with your furnace and washer/dryer. :) It doesnt cost that much more. You'd be surprised how little.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:42 pm 

I also have a low 7 ft. ceiling basement room.The closer walls and ceilings are to you just speeds up early reflection points.I have recently started to acoustically treat my room with great results.FYI GIK acoustics recommended for a low ceiling to use a 4 inch trap and hung as a cloud with a 4 inch drop.That would be a trap using 4 inches of a rigid fibreglass board.I'm still working on my cloud panels and should have them installed soon.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:10 pm 

OBI56 wrote:
SgtRock04 wrote:

Normal room height is, and has pretty much always been 8 feet.

True, but once the floor is poured, you are looking at an average of 7'9" for most new basements. Then you usually have one or more lower areas of the ceiling to accomodate vents and pipes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:28 pm 

sasquatch wrote:
Draw up a sketch with what you got now and post it.
Include locations of windows,HVAC,water heater,lolly posts,main beam etc..
Probably best to start with that.

Gary
+1

Edit:
Your target is to get the best out of your room/speakers combination.
Then, tell us which speakers will be in that room and how many.
(Standmount, floorstander ? + one sub, two sub ? no sub ?)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:44 pm 

David_big_ears wrote:
If you're building from scratch you might consider putting these in the floor. :lol:
http://tinyurl.com/yastxxm

David, that is really funny! those massive sub woofers would kill someone!!

To all who have commented, a huge thank you! I will be building a new sound room & will carefully consider all your suggestions. Also, it won't be in "the furnace room" & will be dedicated to listening to mainly vinyl & some cd music. I will upgrade my speakers but, I will try them out in the new room & then proceed with auditioning new equip & then make an informed (semi) decision on what type/brand to scope out. Many thanks to all who are weighing in, Awesome community! SgtRock04

-- 24 Mar 2016 01:48 --

Oh & 3-4K is just for the speakers but, I don't "have to" spend that much.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:20 am 

You live in Ontario,talk to people in your hi end audio stores so no mistakes are made.one important room component not done correctly could make the whole build a waste of time and money.I have seen mistakes or ignorance first hand and could put such a soured taste in you mouth that you give up and pretend it all never happened.There many small but very important parts in build that "must"be addressed to have music nirvana.Some very important things like hvac,power lines,door dissign,different drywall thickness for walls and ceiling,also no resets lighting,these things are often over looked if a professional is not involved.After mistakes are made correcting them will be very expensive or not able to correct at all.Ventilation is very important for comfort and tube venting,and if you were not planning to use tubes along with you analog rig,you should maybe take up a different hobby like ballet,or playing the accordion,both of which involve listening to music,a room done right will be your most favorite place on the planet!