Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:20 pm 

Hey all,

I was thinking about putting some LED strips in the top of each cube in my 5x5 Expedit record rack. This means that I'd at up .27" of vertical space that's used for removing and inserting the records. Do you all think this would be an issue? It looks like there's around .7" of free space, but I'm wondering of the records would catch on the channel that's used to mount the diffuser.

The lighting strips are these: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00HSF64JG?redirect=true&ref_=s9_simh_gw_p201_d0_i2
While the channels that I'd mount them in are these: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B017TCD8BY?redirect=true&ref_=s9_simh_gw_p201_d0_i1

Has anyone out there done this?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:43 pm 

doctor_big wrote:
Hey all,

I was thinking about putting some LED strips in the top of each cube in my 5x5 Expedit record rack. This means that I'd at up .27" of vertical space that's used for removing and inserting the records. Do you all think this would be an issue? It looks like there's around .7" of free space, but I'm wondering of the records would catch on the channel that's used to mount the diffuser.

The lighting strips are these: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00HSF64JG?redirect=true&ref_=s9_simh_gw_p201_d0_i2
While the channels that I'd mount them in are these: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B017TCD8BY?redirect=true&ref_=s9_simh_gw_p201_d0_i1

Has anyone out there done this?

IKEA has the LED's and they can change to whatever colour you want.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:44 pm 

I recently bought the IKEA Kallas (same size like Expedit,now discontinued) and I put all my records in. I noticed THAT every time I pull out a record I tend to hit or touch rather, the top of the album halfway point on the top portion of the cubes. So then,what I am saying is there is already NOT that much clearance as IS ,or it is minimum ,SO the proposed LED install might be an issue for space.Also I never put a back panel on,I honestly think it compromises the look of the rack,so mine is stock and so is opened both sides.
George

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:32 am 

One of the reviews says it has adhesive on the back? I am sure it would take up much less space without the channels, why not just stick them on directly?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:08 am 

adamn wrote:
One of the reviews says it has adhesive on the back? I am sure it would take up much less space without the channels, why not just stick them on directly?

I was considering this. Only two concerns - first, will they peel off over time from the in-and-out rubbing? And second, I'm wondering if it'll look too stark given the lots-of-dots appearance of the lights.

Jason

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:27 am 

A diffuser would be required to create a "halo" effect, but you have no space.

Could you mount the lights on the back bottom of the shelf, and let them flood up the rear of the albums? Might produce an interesting, diffuse result.

Mark in Burlington

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:30 am 

mcgsxr wrote:
A diffuser would be required to create a "halo" effect, but you have no space.

Could you mount the lights on the back bottom of the shelf, and let them flood up the rear of the albums? Might produce an interesting, diffuse result.

Yeah, I'm coming around to the no-space conclusion. I did want these lights to increase legibility of the titles. I had seen posts where someone had routered out a channel in the shelf and counter-sunk the diffusers. That would be ideal, but I don't really have the stomach to empty and disassemble my 5x5 shelf yet again - I had a flood a short while back, and am exhausted from re-and-re'ing this damn thing.

Jason

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:34 am 

These rails with the curve lens, measure 9mm, without the lens it's 7mm...
Here is a link for a number of various profils, the one that show up, is 8mm high..not much less!

http://www.ledlightsworld.com/198-mm-flat-aluminum-led-profile-for-floor-compatible-with-strip-width-within-10mm-p-1000415.html

My expedit, leave 14mm minimum, over a the biggest box set, or 20mm over single or double LPs.
(not counting the outer sleeve)

I personally think it will do a great looking display,and practical, since you'll see the rib of the LP, providing you push them all the way back. Don't realy need to lift, just slide it in or out.

Now if you differ in opinion, have you consider putting the led strip in the vertical position, and fill the new side limited gap-access, by a cardboard, an old never used LP (ex: Celine Dion) or a piece of thin plywood !

Just my tough's, cost nothing...to think about !

-- 08 Mar 2016 12:37 --

Here is a link for a number of various profils, the one that show up, is 8mm high..not much less!

http://www.ledlightsworld.com/198-mm-flat-aluminum-led-profile-for-floor-compatible-with-strip-width-within-10mm-p-1000415.html

My expedit, leave 14mm minimum, over a the biggest box set, or 20mm over single or double LPs.

I personally think it will do a great looking display,and practical, since you'll see the rib of the LP, providing you push them all the way back. Don't realy need to lift, just slide it in or out.

Now if you differ in opinion, have you consider putting the led strip in the vertical position, and fill the new side limited gap-access, by a cardboard, an old never used LP (ex: Celine Dion) or a piece of thin plywood !

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:45 am 

HiFiDeLiGHT wrote:

-- 08 Mar 2016 12:37 --

That's an outstanding site! I found these http://www.ledlightsworld.com/6mm-super-slim-flat-aluminum-profile-kit-for-8mm-or-10mm-flexible-led-p-1000631.html which are slimmer still. I think I'll try them out - thanks for the encouragement.

Jason

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:31 am 

Please post pictures of the finished product when you're done.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:06 am 

RobotRock wrote:
Please post pictures of the finished product when you're done.

Understood. I'm still 50/50 about starting this project - seems like it's going to be a day of my life that I'll never get back...

Jason