Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:20 am
Posts: 472
Location: Winnipeg, MB, CA
I've bragged about my buddy Gary here before.
Known him over 30 years....good man!

He has built for us 2 audio racks (and a few other things) over the years.
I'm (we) are blessed to call him our friend!!

Totally self taught - but like many of us with music and gear - woodworking is his passion.
He's the most "happy" when he's in his shop creating.

This is the latest project - my new rack for my dedicated listening room.
1/4 sawn white oak - he just finished installing the doors and the hardware - sanded and ready for colour and finish coats.

Thought I would share just a small part of the journey. Can't wait to get this in my room....gear on and in and get everything organized.

Amp/tuner stack with table beside on top - cd hidden behind right door on the shelf you see.
Mission style but built to my specs - want form and function!!

Thanks for looking - hope you like it.

....planks already planed and sitting ready to go


Image

Image

Image


Last edited by cat9 on Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:10 pm
Posts: 2929
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Beautiful piece.
I hate to ask.
Is there going to be room for ventilating heat from your gear or do you always turn it off.
Otherwise its really nice.

_________________
"You don't know what you've got 'til its gone
..........JONI MITCHELL.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:20 am
Posts: 472
Location: Winnipeg, MB, CA
Chipmunk1957 wrote:
Beautiful piece.
I hate to ask.
Is there going to be room for ventilating heat from your gear or do you always turn it off.
Otherwise its really nice.




Thanks!

No - asking is fine!
The only piece of gear in the rack is the cd player.
The amp / tuner and turntable will be on top.

....plus I always turn it off anyway!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:10 pm
Posts: 2929
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
So cool.
I love that type of wood work.
Enjoy it.
Would love to see the finished work.

_________________
"You don't know what you've got 'til its gone
..........JONI MITCHELL.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:52 pm
Posts: 3335
Location: Lasalle, ON, CA
From the looks of it your friend does some very nice work. The framed doors look very well done and the overall balance of the piece is lovely. The 1/4 sawn oak is beautiful as well. I love seeing work like that and must confess that I'm kind of envious. Great stuff.

Is the top 1/4 sawn as well (hard to tell in the pics)?

_________________
Phil


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:20 am
Posts: 472
Location: Winnipeg, MB, CA
Philosophil wrote:
From the looks of it your friend does some very nice work. The framed doors look very well done and the overall balance of the piece is lovely. The 1/4 sawn oak is beautiful as well. I love seeing work like that and must confess that I'm kind of envious. Great stuff.

Is the top 1/4 sawn as well (hard to tell in the pics)?



Thanks Phil - I'll tell Gary your comments - he'll appreciate it!

Incredible work actually - the other pieces he has done for me/us are just exquisite - people comment all the time...."This has got to come from a high end furniture store"

.....we say nope - just a high end friend shop!!! :D

Yes the top is like the rest - solid 1/4 sawn.
I can't wait till the colour (stain and dye) is on - the grain and figuring in the wood is going to JUMP out.
From up close it's stunning - the pics don't do it justice!

...nice of you to notice the doors....tricky work that can be...especially the fit!

It's ok to be a little envious!!

Thanks again!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:20 am
Posts: 472
Location: Winnipeg, MB, CA
Got a surprise delivery today...sorry for the less then perfect pics. Cheap camera...poor lighting, etc

But here it is in its finished state - in person it reflects better its warm brown tones with the figuring in the wood having a slight orange hue. Now rearrange the room and get the components on and in this beauty!

Image

Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:59 pm
Posts: 21
Location: Waterdown, ON, CA
Beautiful work and a very nice finish. Lovely when you can enjoy good music and stare at a piece that only you own. I can feel the excitement in your posts. Enjoy.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:38 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:05 am
Posts: 1206
Location: Calgary, AB, CA
Gorgeous! I love the look of the 1/4 sawn Oak....and the finish really sets it off. Do you know the specific process used to achieve it? I suspect that it was more than just a straightforward stain application.

Coming from a family of hobbyist woodworkers, I can appreciate the effort that went in to creating that piece.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:15 am
Posts: 4586
Location: Newmarket, ON, CA
Masterwork! Nice!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:20 am
Posts: 472
Location: Winnipeg, MB, CA
jaguar02 wrote:
Beautiful work and a very nice finish. Lovely when you can enjoy good music and stare at a piece that only you own. I can feel the excitement in your posts. Enjoy.



I agree...thanks!!

-- 19 Jan 2016 18:13 --

selkirk wrote:
Gorgeous! I love the look of the 1/4 sawn Oak....and the finish really sets it off. Do you know the specific process used to achieve it? I suspect that it was more than just a straightforward stain application.

Coming from a family of hobbyist woodworkers, I can appreciate the effort that went in to creating that piece.


Thank-you!

Here is the process Gary used -

Finish
1 coat Lee Valley dye stain Georgian Brown
1 coat General Finishes sanding sealer
Sand lightly 400 grit
1 coat General Finishes Gel stain Nutmeg
2 coats General Finishes Arm-R-Seal
Sand lightly 400 grit
2 more coats Arm-R-Seal

Done. 8 days to complete finish

-- 19 Jan 2016 18:13 --

b3733366 wrote:
Masterwork! Nice!



Thanks - I'll tell him!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:03 am
Posts: 852
Location: Georgetown, ON, CA
Wow! Your friend does amazing work! Lovely piece of furniture, enjoy!

Is that an old pair of Infinity's in the background?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:20 am
Posts: 472
Location: Winnipeg, MB, CA
bbsupersport wrote:
Wow! Your friend does amazing work! Lovely piece of furniture, enjoy!

Is that an old pair of Infinity's in the background?



Thanks!

Yes - RS4's...I purchased new over 30 years ago. Still love them!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:29 pm
Posts: 1305
Location: mississauga, ON, CA
Once again that looks beautiful. I can just imagine what he would do with the sleeves, tongue and groove or dovetail joinery from something choice exotic or Canadian with some type of contrasting finish. Resting on top of that beautiful cabinetry, would be NICE! Or even keeping with the original walnut with a glassy finish, so many possibilities there.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:20 am
Posts: 472
Location: Winnipeg, MB, CA
sublimesounds wrote:
Once again that looks beautiful. I can just imagine what he would do with the sleeves, tongue and groove or dovetail joinery from something choice exotic or Canadian with some type of contrasting finish. Resting on top of that beautiful cabinetry, would be NICE! Or even keeping with the original walnut with a glassy finish, so many possibilities there.



Thanks.....I think I better leave him alone for a bit!!
Don't want him running when he sees me or anything :lol:

He said his next project may be crafting a guitar for his brother-in-law.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group