Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:09 pm 
Premium User

ADCO wrote:
People who can't have will always try to rip those who can....an old story I have never understood myself

Every hobby has them it seems, even hiking/climbing websites.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:34 pm 

Quote:
People who can't have will always try to rip those who can....an old story I have never understood myself

People that have always hope that this is true.......... it is fundamental to their existence..... an old story that I learned almost too late to help me on my path! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:32 pm 

Quote:
LuSh wrote:
Horrible rooms. This mentality killed 'music lovers' approach to audio, this is the same as building a dedicated room where one can masturbate freely with pictures of themselves scattered around the room. It's a temple of ones image, nothing more.

So, while your on your self appointed pedestal please tell us what you would have if you A) you made enough money that this would represent disposable income B) all other financial details in your life were well taken care of and as the case may be for one of those rooms he is a reviewer for 6moons and the vast majority of that room and equipment would be a tax exemption....

No different than appreciating and buying a fine automobile, watch etc....if all else in persons financial life is sorted why would you attempt to put a negative spin on someone's pursuit?.....

You have no idea what I own or what I have access too. I speak from a place of comfort. I believe this hobby can bring people together, literally, physically and real. If money wer no object I'd buy a house where my listening room could incorporate family, friends and significant others. The systems presented were singular in nature. I don't envy them at all. I pity them, and those that see these systems for the first time and believe this is what music appreciation and audio is about.

-- 23 Jan 2016 01:36 --

Oh by the way, the tax exemption part made me shoot liquid through my noise as I read it. One of the funnier suggestions I've read on CAM in a very long time. Thanks for coming out. As if a Six moons reviewer can use a system like that to write off a significant portion of ones taxes. Quite the income for a reviewer.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:38 pm 

I've never really seen any systems posted on CAM that have been set up for group participation.Group audiophilia now thats's an interesting concept.Considering my family and significant other has no interest in music it is quite unrealistic.For now I'll just be selfish because its my meditation and medicine.Have pity on me...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:44 pm 

LuSh wrote:

You have no idea what I own or what I have access too. I speak from a place of comfort. I believe this hobby can bring people together, literally, physically and real. If money wer no object I'd buy a house where my listening room could incorporate family, friends and significant others. The systems presented were singular in nature. I don't envy them at all. I pity them, and those that see these systems for the first time and believe this is what music appreciation and audio is about.

But that's YOU, and what YOU would do. You also have no idea what the people in the videos are into either...just because it's not what you would do, it's really not your place to say they're horrible, and that the owners are not music lovers. HTF would you know that?
I for one have many friends with similar systems, and almost all of them love music, have the means to afford such things, and I really enjoy visiting them to listen to their systems as well. Go figure.
B

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:03 pm 

Quote:
I've never really seen any systems posted on CAM that have been set up for group participation.Group audiophilia now thats's an interesting concept.Considering my family and significant other has no interest in music it is quite unrealistic.For now I'll just be selfish because its my meditation and medicine.Have pity on me...
Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 03:38

Maybe if you had a couch instead of a chair you'd have family listen to your system, or more importantly.......music.

Different strokes. Enjoy your medicine, :wink:

-- 23 Jan 2016 04:11 --

Quote:
But that's YOU, and what YOU would do. You also have no idea what the people in the videos are into either...just because it's not what you would do, it's really not your place to say they're horrible, and that the owners are not music lovers. HTF would you know that?
I for one have many friends with similar systems, and almost all of them love music, have the means to afford such things, and I really enjoy visiting them to listen to their systems as well. Go figure.
B

By many you mean more than two right? Oh I have no doubt your friends love music, I just don't believe they've bought new music in the last decade 'because it's all crap' and not up to the standards of the system. They've reached a point where most music interferes with the system. Thus, music has been detached from the system.

We need more John Devores in this hobby and less Dave Wilsons.

I'm done my rant...I've heard these systems and rooms and the music played in them. It's nothing to do with music, just an excuse to excessive perfection. Ask your friend to play AC DC at '11'. They won't let you...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:43 am 

LuSh wrote:
By many you mean more than two right? Oh I have no doubt your friends love music, I just don't believe they've bought new music in the last decade 'because it's all crap' and not up to the standards of the system. They've reached a point where most music interferes with the system. Thus, music has been detached from the system.

We need more John Devores in this hobby and less Dave Wilsons.

I'm done my rant...I've heard these systems and rooms and the music played in them. It's nothing to do with music, just an excuse to excessive perfection. Ask your friend to play AC DC at '11'. They won't let you...

You know, I'm not saying that the people in the video are 'music lovers', or that there aren't audiophiles out there who are in it just for the gear, but your assumptions about the people I know that have fantastic systems (and yes, many more than two), and the people who call themselves audiophiles, are laughable at best. That audiophiles won't play less than excellent recordings may be part of your (obviously limited) experience, but it is definitely not mine.
I have discovered much new music at friend's houses. As an example, a friend introduced me to Alabama Shakes at his house, on a system that costs well over 100k (probably closer to 200k). He played it at very high levels, and that first album of theirs is well known to have been pretty badly recorded (definitely NOT an 'audiophile' pressing).
You want to talk about people that say that 'new music is all crap', look more to the CAM community. There are loads of guys here in that camp, and I doubt they have systems anything close to the ones in those videos that were shared.
Finally, like I said earlier, who are you to judge these people anyway? What you do with your hard-earned cash is your business, and what other people's do is theirs, and, unless you've actually sat and listened to every system you have some sort of wild opinion on, then your opinion is, well, your own, and is not really very meaningful.
Byron

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:11 am 

LuSh wrote:
Quote:
LuSh wrote:
Horrible rooms. This mentality killed 'music lovers' approach to audio, this is the same as building a dedicated room where one can masturbate freely with pictures of themselves scattered around the room. It's a temple of ones image, nothing more.

So, while your on your self appointed pedestal please tell us what you would have if you A) you made enough money that this would represent disposable income B) all other financial details in your life were well taken care of and as the case may be for one of those rooms he is a reviewer for 6moons and the vast majority of that room and equipment would be a tax exemption....

No different than appreciating and buying a fine automobile, watch etc....if all else in persons financial life is sorted why would you attempt to put a negative spin on someone's pursuit?.....

-- 23 Jan 2016 01:36 --

Oh by the way, the tax exemption part made me shoot liquid through my noise as I read it. One of the funnier suggestions I've read on CAM in a very long time. Thanks for coming out. As if a Six moons reviewer can use a system like that to write off a significant portion of ones taxes. Quite the income for a reviewer.

I had made a mistake with my first attempt to post my comment here ...sorry mods...

Anyway...

You seem to have issues with people who have gained/beniffited and or enjoyed their pursuits...it's ridicules really . That you would A) persecute these people for what they have shows you do not have the intellectual fortitude to understand that one mans muse is just that, one mans muse and that it may not align with your thinking is really irrelevant. Trust me these people don't care what you think or don't think, that isn't why they take there pursuits this far. B) since your such an intellectual Titan its hard for me to understand how you can or would bother to spit such venom over this kind of thing...I know it's the Internet and there is no shortage of opinions but I am flummoxed as to how you can jump to conclusions, for example, that these people are not making what you qualify as music lovers...

As to you spit you food all over yourself re the tax exemptions...you clearly have absolutely no idea. I have run to very successful companies for going on better than 25 years now and the last I checked there was no law against any business model....If for instance the 6moons reviewer here were actually doing his reviews inside a corporation and the revenue was to the corporation then his initial investment (as just one example) would be a loan to the company and considered as an adjusted cost base. As he generates income from his review the money he take for himself as "wages" would be considered repayment of the loan....he doesn't have to pay income tax on that money and eventually the company owns the equipment in question....same goes for the custom room, it is an investment to creat an enviroment from which to evaluate equipment and the room and the equipment become the investment in a reference that allows subjective opinions and formulates his review.....this is basic stuff here and it's legal...
So as you sit wiping your spit off yourself I have to get up off my beutiful couch in my custom listening room in my 750K home and remind my beutiful girlfriend that its time to get in the Mercedes and get her to the airport so she doesn't miss her flight to London England where she is going to meet her girlfriends for the weekend and shop....I guess some of us would rather aspire to bigger things than piss and moan about people who already have.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:08 am 

Mr.Hi-Fi wrote:
Notice the walls were padded in the first video ??
It's a sign

That's almost exactly what my wife said when she saw me working on sound measures for a new sound room I'm setting up with large glass areas - a very live room. I may start calling it the asylum!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:34 am 
Premium User

First post on CAM. These sorts of arguments are specious. It is not for anyone other than the person who's system it is to comment on its merits, value, etc. These are subjective measures. However, I do find it peculiar that somebody is so negative when he has chosen to be part of an enthusiast website and then rips enthusiasts for effectively, in his mind, improperly enjoying their hobby! Frankly, I find it endearing that the guy in the first video is willing to share publicly his home system, given the security risks. I suspect most owners of such systems do not. Just because I wouldn't spend the kind of money on a system that he has or that he tends to listen on his own doesn't mean it is "wrong". If I am going to state an opinion I say so up front. But to just say "horrible rooms" isn't the way I would start a post.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:28 pm 

A B wrote:
Came across the following two youtube video clips of some amazing audiophile system and room setups that I though were worthwhile to share.
Just as a word of Warning, both of these setups are certainly "no expense spared".............and your audiophile spending addiction may never be the same again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPKG57NHJic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZHjRe-hm_s

In case you have come across other similar worthwhile videos of audio system setups, just submit your favourites here.

I don't see any music in the first room. Kind of defeats the point doesn't it? Where are the LPs for all those record players?

Also from a practical point of view, if it were my room I would like somewhere to put my feet up and a side table for a drink, maybe some art work on the walls to make it look less like a server room. But that's just me. I guess it doesn't change the sound at all but it would help me relax and enjoy the experience.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:18 pm 

icevic wrote:
A B wrote:
Came across the following two youtube video clips of some amazing audiophile system and room setups that I though were worthwhile to share.
Just as a word of Warning, both of these setups are certainly "no expense spared".............and your audiophile spending addiction may never be the same again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPKG57NHJic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZHjRe-hm_s

In case you have come across other similar worthwhile videos of audio system setups, just submit your favourites here.

I don't see any music in the first room. Kind of defeats the point doesn't it? Where are the LPs for all those record players?

Also from a practical point of view, if it were my room I would like somewhere to put my feet up and a side table for a drink, maybe some art work on the walls to make it look less like a server room. But that's just me. I guess it doesn't change the sound at all but it would help me relax and enjoy the experience.

I have to admit that the room certainly could be less sterile.... Audio rooms do not need to be devoid of decorating....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:47 pm 

I see a lot of things on this site that I will never own. Kinda nice to see something that, probably, no one on the site will ever own.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:58 pm 

philipwilson wrote:
I see a lot of things on this site that I will never own. Kinda nice to see something that, probably, no one on the site will ever own.

Strangely this is an evolved "take" on this... No doubt for some of us this is fantasy land, which for those who can afford it might actually be why they do .... It was a fantasy of theirs to have the resources to do this and now that they can, well, why the hell not

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:15 pm 

Perhaps these are extreme cases of upgraditis. It can also lead to audionervosa, where the system is always "close but not quite there". A friend of mine said he would never spend more than $1000 total on his audio/video system. Then a couple of weeks ago I told him to sit in the recliner while I demoed my new DAC. He tried not to show it but by his eyes I could tell he was impressed and he commented "hi res files sure do sound clear and better than cd's". I told him that he was listening to a redbook cd and not a hi res file. I had to take it out of the player and show him.

A few days later and he phones me from the store that he has bought some Polk speakers to replace his fronts, a new center channel (I think Martin Logan?), new rear speakers, a new Pioneer A/V amp, a new front projector and a 106" powered screen (mine is also 106") and a sub (not sure of the make). He still says I will never spend any more money (he just spent around $4000). Maybe another sub but that's it... :lol:

I told him many times to never say never (been there done that). I also just spent near $5000 on two new DAC's. You can't take the money with you and if you can afford it, why not? I think I can afford it. I like balogna sandwiches. And haters gonna hate.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next