Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Log Cabin Bliss
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:17 pm
Posts: 56
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
I had heard that the CBC will often record acoustic sessions in log cabins due to their acoustic properties.

Was recently in a renovated hunting cabbin listening to some surpisingly musical UE Boom speakers that had been "doubled up" (stereo).

They had never sounded better. Everyone was surprised by how good it sounded. It makes me want to rent a cabin in the off-season and enjoy some music and a fire indoors.


Attachments:
cabin.jpg
cabin.jpg [ 262.76 KiB | Viewed 3098 times ]
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Log Cabin Bliss
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:50 pm
Posts: 12106
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
OMG! Thanks for noticing this! Now I know why the cheap Koss 105M Plus speakers I have sound so darn good at the cottage and not so good at home.... the room they are in at the cottage is created of solid Finnish Fir.

Imported from Finland, dragged across 25 km of dirt track and barged across to the lot. This was done many years ago by some crazy people.... they built a fishing camp with multiple small cabins and ordered some extra for a brother-in-law to build his, which he later sold and is now our Family cottage. They really sound awesome in that room..... I can imagine what a really good system might sound like up there! Bliss is right!

_________________
I'm sure that the term "resolving" has way more to do with a sense of self worth than any scientific principle. - davinci_redux


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Log Cabin Bliss
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:17 pm
Posts: 56
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Think I can turn my semi’s ground floor into a log cabin?

I believe this is the original article: http://www.heartwood-log-homes.com/acoustic.htm


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Log Cabin Bliss
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:50 pm
Posts: 12106
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
What an awesome idea.... but you will lose a ton of space.

_________________
I'm sure that the term "resolving" has way more to do with a sense of self worth than any scientific principle. - davinci_redux


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Log Cabin Bliss
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:16 pm
Posts: 345
Location: London, ON, CA
thinskin wrote:
Think I can turn my semi’s ground floor into a log cabin?

I believe this is the original article: http://www.heartwood-log-homes.com/acoustic.htm


Sounds like a scene from a Seinfeld episode involving Kramer :D


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Log Cabin Bliss
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:29 pm
Posts: 224
Location: Vancouver Island, BC, CA
Years ago I helped a friend turn his ski cabin into a log cabin . we went to a local sawmill and bought
a few truck loads of cants. The outer round edge of the logs they usually just chip. We built frames to
screw the cants to and anchored them to the inside walls of his cabin, after we stripped all the bark off of course.

Applied some filler between the cants. Damn it looked good and actually added some insulation to the cabin.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Log Cabin Bliss
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:07 pm
Posts: 4484
Location: Welland, ON, CA
thinskin wrote:
I had heard that the CBC will often record acoustic sessions in log cabins due to their acoustic properties.

Was recently in a renovated hunting cabbin listening to some surpisingly musical UE Boom speakers that had been "doubled up" (stereo).

They had never sounded better. Everyone was surprised by how good it sounded. It makes me want to rent a cabin in the off-season and enjoy some music and a fire indoors.


It's like all those spaces between the logs are acting like natural diffusers. No hard flat surfaces.

_________________
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get you.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Log Cabin Bliss
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:45 am 
Offline
Premium User
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:08 pm
Posts: 18449
Location: Montreal, QC, CA
good sound wrote:
thinskin wrote:
I had heard that the CBC will often record acoustic sessions in log cabins due to their acoustic properties.

Was recently in a renovated hunting cabbin listening to some surpisingly musical UE Boom speakers that had been "doubled up" (stereo).

They had never sounded better. Everyone was surprised by how good it sounded. It makes me want to rent a cabin in the off-season and enjoy some music and a fire indoors.


It's like all those spaces between the logs are acting like natural diffusers. No hard flat surfaces.


BINGO!!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Log Cabin Bliss
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:17 pm
Posts: 56
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Looks like there is an artist in the Toronto area who makes wooden audio diffusers.

https://olga66.wordpress.com/acoustic-panels/

I am afraid to ask about the cost, because I imagine it's a ton of labour.

-- 12 Aug 2015 13:53 --

I bet cheaper (but not as nice looking for effective) are these 3D panels sold out of (made in?) BC and made from bamboo pulp.

http://www.threedpanels.com/


Attachments:
gallery_1396511486BLOCKS-1.jpg
gallery_1396511486BLOCKS-1.jpg [ 61.8 KiB | Viewed 2748 times ]
audio-diffusers-11.jpg
audio-diffusers-11.jpg [ 107.88 KiB | Viewed 2750 times ]
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Log Cabin Bliss
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:37 am
Posts: 403
Location: Vaughan, ON, CA
CBC's wood cabin sessions for Whitehorse really do sound better than their albums recorded in a studio. Although these particular songs do not appear to be a LOG cabin, so perhaps not the one referred to by the OP and in the article.

BTW, Whitehorse are a talented Canuck folk-rockin' multi-instrumentalist husband/wife duo - and both very good looking, too, if the rest wasn't enough... :lol:
Nice that CBC uploaded the cabin sessions in 1080p:

Devil's Got a Gun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALjg_NYDByo
No Glammer in the Hammer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR5i1xFbzF8
Achilles' Desire https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSRGFigPGLs


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group