Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:20 am 

My listening room is my DIY nightmare project.. well, maybe not that bad but you deal with what you have got. The room is not acoustically perfect, but I am going to guess that the vast majority of us here don't have the unlimited funds and space to make that perfect room.

One of the design ideas that I had was to hide away all the messy cables that I know drives my wife up the wall. I did for the most part manage that on the main floor by running the 5.1 speaker wires to wall plates, but sadly forgot about the sub woofer. But then again, that is a very hard one to hide the cable for as you don't know where it needs to be until you furnish the room and do the sub crawl to find it's optimal location. (only to find out the wife doesn't want it there anyway)

In my listening room I have run about 500' of AWG12 CL2 speaker wire through the room. The thought was that it costs far less to run cable now and not use it, than try and run another pair of cables later if my needs change some time down the road and extra wires are needed. I have multiple pairs running for possible 11.x sound. (I don't buy into Atmos on the ceiling speakers as it will break the sound break to the rooms above). Right now I have 4 pairs to each of the fronts and 2 pairs to each of the center, side surround and rear surrounds as well as a pair to front and rear heights. At the speaker point, it's easy to just put a face plate with the black/red banana plugs for each of the wires with a number for what pair it is. Where the questions comes is at the termination point at the pre-amp/amp's.

There are 22 pairs of wires. How is it best to logically terminate them? the least space would be 4 x 5 pair plate and a 2 pair plate. However, I could go with a pair of 24 port keystone plates and just mount them onto a 2u mount bracket.

What have others done with a whole load of wire?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:46 pm 

I don't have any advice for you on the wall plates but I'll be looking for any reply on your question. I'll be in the same boat soon but with fewer wire runs as I'll leave my front array speaker wire out of the walls. When my new room is built I'll have enough separate amplifier channels (14!) to tri amp my LFR's. Axiom wire is cheap but good so I may try it just for giggles. BTW What did you decide on for subs?
Brad (7800)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:50 pm 

That's a lot of cables. Thinking that you may not be using all the cables right away, could you maybe terminate the pairs to be used in the short-term and keep the unused pairs just tucked away behind the plates?

Another option that would use less wall space would be to let the cables exit the wall using something like Arlington's "the scoop": http://www.aimedia.co/media/images-small/CE1.jpg and go directly to the amplifiers using banana ends on them.

Arlington also makes a neat plastic "TV BOX" for recessed cable and power management that looks cleaner than a standard flush-mount plate. It is available in 2 or 3-gang sizes: http://www.aimedia.co/media/images-small/TVBR505K.jpg

Electrical wholesalers usually carry Arlington and Leviton and possibly other similar lines. Leviton's line can only accomodate 6 quick-ports per plate though :(

Just a thought.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:46 pm 

jbj72199 wrote:
I don't have any advice for you on the wall plates but I'll be looking for any reply on your question. I'll be in the same boat soon but with fewer wire runs as I'll leave my front array speaker wire out of the walls. When my new room is built I'll have enough separate amplifier channels (14!) to tri amp my LFR's. Axiom wire is cheap but good so I may try it just for giggles. BTW What did you decide on for subs?
Brad (7800)

I was reading a book by Jim Smith about Get Better Sound and he for some reason insisted that the amps should not be at the front of the room but rather at the side. So I decided for my implementation that I would give this a try. That is why I have so many wires running through the walls.

Like you I have a set of LFR1100's that I could tri-amp. I am however wondering how you would go about doing that. My DSP has the XLR connectors on it, so I am not sure how you would go about taking the front channel out from the DSP and split it into two for different amps to feed the woofers and tweeters. I know you can split with RCA but for some reason, my Anthem amp doesn't like the ground in the DSP and gives that awful humm if I connect with RCA. I did think about getting a pair of Crown XLS2000 and bridge with the internal crossover feature to split the high and low cross points matched to what Axiom uses in the LFR, but then figured that is just getting to anal to say the least.

The room is realistically a good 6-8 weeks left to get it done. All the drywall is up except one piece where I am deciding on the speaker wire. I am about 1/4 the way through doing the mudding. Not the most fun part of the job but it needs to get done. The first two coats are a bit easier as I can use Durabond 90 and your good for the second coat if you wanted in 2 hours. But in reality, there is that much to get done and not the time in the evening that I only seem to get 10-15' done (but it's the corner bulkheads and the bit around the ceiling/wall.

I still have not gotten any subs. I was thinking of getting a pair of the Axiom EP500's but not sure if the folks at Axiom who were giving me a good deal with still be up to giving it. I may have burnt my bridges when I pulled from the Axiom Air kickstarter, and the price of everything has gone up since. But I did tell them my budget timeframe was end of August so we will see in 6 weeks I guess. Otherwise, I guess i'll still be looking.

Are you close to the GTA? when the room is done you could come by for a critique listen and tell me what you think. edit: oops, see you are in alberta.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:41 am 

Seems like a lot of extra speaker wires in the walls, but I understand once the sheetrock goes in it is a bear to run them later.

I ran in wall for my basement HT. Just 5.1 though. All the speakers are wall mounted, so I just left the wires in the walls during drywall, then drilled a hole in the drywall and used a coat hanger to grab the cable. It simple exits the hole and into the speaker connections.

I did run a lot of extra HDMI, RCA, coax, Cat 6, etc. For those yet unused connections, it is just left in the wall. At most I cut in a low voltage "box" and left a blank cover on it. Behind the TV I used a keystone setup for ease of plugging and unplugging.

I also installed conduit to places I might want to reach in the future. For a possible projector etc.

I use a wall scoop on the main floor where the TV is over the fireplace, and the associated gear is off to the side. Before the basement was finished I ran all the wires (HDMI x2, 3x speaker wire, 1 toslink) down through the basement and back up where I wanted them. Should have run Cat 6 too, but did not think of it at the time.

Mark in Burlington

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:28 am 

Thanks for the invite M. I am able to tri amp due to the fact that both of of my Arcam amplifiers have RCA in/outs to jump the input from from one channel to another. The end result is 2 amp channels with the same output at the speaker terminals. Lots of talk about passive biamping and I really doubt I'd hear any diffference but like I said, Axiom wire is cheap!
Brad(7800)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:53 am 

After looking over the options for a few nights, I have decided that it probably is best to do a 5gang wall plate. The fun part is how to get it mounted well. I am lucky being a wood worker I have access to some big tools. I went to home depot and got a pair of 2gang low voltage wall mount brackets made out of Polycarbonate for $4 each. Cut off the nail in portion on the top and bottom and part of the side. Then mounted my 5 gang face plate to align everything up then epoxied the cut off bit of polycarbonate to join the two halves. Now I have a solid 5gang low voltage box to mount the wires into.

Bit of a pain, but worth it in the end as the box is nice and square, and has mounting points on the left and right side to tie into the wall studs. Plastered around the box and all is golden.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:35 am 

Glad it worked out well for you. I can't wait to get my own project going.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:44 pm 

I thought I would post some photo's of the faceplate solution I came up with.

This is with the two low voltage boxes installed with the sides cut off. There is 500' of speaker wire in that wall with some 24 pairs of wire coming out.

Here it is finished. The 10 plug inserts (unknown to me at the time) are a non standard size for the Decora style face plates. So I had designed to put them together as a 5 gang run. Got them all hooked up only to find that 4 of the 5 didn't fit. I ended up pulling out my benchtop router table and a spiral trim router bit and shaving off a bit of the standard faceplate to make the outside holes bigger to fit the oversized inserts that I have. Lucky for me I am so resourceful and skilled enough to bodge it all together and make it work. I had stepped on the plate 2 weeks earlier and ended up epoxing it back together as I didn't want to re-order a new one as non of the HomeDepots or Rona's carry the 5 gang plates now.