Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:48 pm 

Hi, I've done a lot of searching on the Internet to no avail, so I was hoping that the lovely folks on the forum can give me some advice. My room is L-shaped. The problem is, I have a left wall, rear wall, and front wall, but free space on my right. Can you help me to best optimize my layout?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:27 pm 

move

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:57 pm 

E

Last edited by Itsnotluck on Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:01 pm 

My present home has an L shaped room much to my chagrin. I just drew a rectangle in the room along 3 walls and proceeded to setup as a rectangular room. It sounds pretty good but the bottom end is a bit subdued so I ended up moving the front mains closer to the wall to compensate with excellent results. I seriously miss my last home that had a 18x32' listening room, it was excellent with a full Magnepan Home theatre and a pool table ;)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:05 pm 

humsin wrote:
Hi, I've done a lot of searching on the Internet to no avail, so I was hoping that the lovely folks on the forum can give me some advice. My room is L-shaped. The problem is, I have a left wall, rear wall, and front wall, but free space on my right. Can you help me to best optimize my layout?

Is corner placement (L/front and L/rear) possible? That would actually be an ideal setup.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:19 pm 

Unfortunately the corner is not available because it's the room entrance and there is a door. I was thinking about placement and treatment that can help mitigate the asymmetry of the space.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:27 pm 

Is this possible ......

http://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgr ... e_5053.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:51 pm 

This is what I have right now

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:54 pm 

petersch wrote:
My present home has an L shaped room much to my chagrin. I just drew a rectangle in the room along 3 walls and proceeded to setup as a rectangular room. It sounds pretty good but the bottom end is a bit subdued so I ended up moving the front mains closer to the wall to compensate with excellent results. I seriously miss my last home that had a 18x32' listening room, it was excellent with a full Magnepan Home theatre and a pool table ;)

I found that my Magnepans are the only speaker that perform well I'm my L shaped room. The bottom end (mostly mid bass actually) is sucked out in the main listening area the way most box speakers load the room. The Magnepans radiant most of the bass backwards. So, from my listening area they sound spot on at the right distance from the wall (~4 feet in my case) and can be very close to side walls with no issues. The down side is that while they sound the absolute best in the sweet spot, they aren't great from all other areas of the room. Not a problem for me currently. But not a speaker I'd place in a social environment where virtually no one would be in the ideal listening position.