Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:44 am 

mcgsxr wrote:
In the recent past I did run a combo setup.

Pioneer VSX-1018 receiver
B&K ST202 amp for the mains
Paradigm Studio Reference 20's for mains
Paradigm Cinema 330 center
Paradigm ADP-190 rears
DIY 2x12 sub with 500w Dayton amp
Samsung blu ray
Panasonic 60 plasma
PC front end, HRT DAC
6 dedicated AC lines for the gear.

Now I run 2 separate setups but sharing the room.
All HT gear remains, but the 20's and B&K are gone and 3 330's are the front stage. The sub only runs for HT.

2 channel now Totem Sttaf's with a NAD C325BEE integrated with the same front end and DAC.

Both make me happy for what they do.

Why did you change from a blended system to separates?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:52 am 

Mine does all I need it for.
Even thou I don't use turntable or DVD, CD player.
I just have multi channel system
But can run as 2 channel if so desired.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:36 am 

Here is my wifes system.
Denon AVR 3000 an old 20 year Dolby Pro Logic receiver.
Oppo 980H DVD
Adcom GCD 700 CD
Panasonic GT 65" Plasma
Paradign 11 SE MK3
Dual offset centres at 180 Degrees Paradign Cinemas
Monitor Audio Bronze rears.
Cogeco HD
Cardas cables
Even though we've had this for along time except for the TV it's puts out good power and sounds good.
I also have a separate room for my all Analog System.
Clearaudio Ambient TT, Maestro Cart.
Exposure Integrated 2010S Amp.
Exposure 2010s Amplifier.
I Use XLO Speaker cables and Cardas Interconnects and I also have Naim Naca5 as spares. I'm running Focus Audio FC7 speakers and I am Bi-Amping I also run an Yaqin Ms 12B Pre-Amp for a Phono Stage only. I picked up some Psvane Treasure Tubes at Taves for an improvement. I am able to set the pre-amp volume at 3 o'clock and use the Exposure Remote for volume so I don't have to leave my chair.
Both systems have dedicated 20 amp lines

Steve

Last edited by steve cunningham on Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:39 am 

Very happy with my 2ch / Multich integreted solution

High end HTPC as source, 3 GPUs, 2 for video, one for audio. No other sources, everything goes through the HTPC in that room. HTPC stores no audio or video, thats handled by a server seperately.
JRiver: which does my playback plus room correction and copying the front channels to the rear 7.1 outputs to facilitate bi-amping
Pioneer SC-07 reciever, pure direct mode, all channel trimming and other stuff disabled or set to 0
Jungson JA-88: Mid / Highs on the L and R speaker
Bryston 3B 2x lows on the L and R speaker, rear speakers
Nad 2600: centre channel
PSB Image T6 x5: All channels identical
2 ML Subs in either corner
Cerwin Vega sub turned on for movies only.

Not the best but I'm happy. Would love to go class A on the centre channel and get a proper 16ch audio interface for more biamping potential and seperate sub outs.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:34 am 

Like others here, I don't have the space or the funds for two separate systems for music and HT, so I use a single system for both.

TV: Samsung PN64F8500 (One of the last great plasma TVs that was available after Panasonic got out of the game)

Audio is a 5.1 setup. All speakers (excluding subwoofer) are Paradigm Reference Studio series, v.4. (All of these were purchased second-hand, mostly through CAM, but also Kijiji.)

Main L/R: Studio 40
Centre channel: CC-690
Surround L/R: Studio 20

Subwoofer is a Power Sound Audio (PSA) XS30. This sub has two 15" drivers, in a dual-opposed configuration, in a sealed enclosure, with a 700W RMS (1400W peak) DSP amp.

I'm using a Denon AVR-X4000 receiver as pre-pro, sending the audio signal out to an Emotiva XPA-5, which powers the Paradigm speakers.

My sources are:
Cable box for broadcast TV
Apple TV
Sony PS3
Sony BDP-S6200

For music, I usually stream, via iTunes AirPlay, directly from my computer to the Denon receiver (all controlled by the handy remote app on my iPhone), over a wired LAN connection.

My test for sound quality is always music. I used to have Paradigm Monitor series speakers. They were fine for HT duty, but I was never completely happy with them for music. The Studios are much better for music, and HT sounds better as well.

I am a big fan of Audyssey MultEq XT32 on the Denon. I know these Auto EQ systems don't get much love around here, but I've found them to work wonders in my room, with my speakers. I used to have the Denon 3808CI, but I wanted to upgrade from Audyssey XT to XT32. The X4000 does not have as robust an amplifier section as the 3808CI, so I got the Emotiva as well. For about the same price I could have gotten the Denon 4520CI, for an all-in-one solution, but then I'd still be worrying about both the feature set, and the amplifier power, with every subsequent upgrade. With the Emotiva in the system, I can choose future receiver upgrades based on feature set and price, without worrying about having enough power.

It's a modest system, compared to many here, and it has its flaws, but it pleases me!

Until my children are older (currently, they are 1 and 5 yrs old), and I don't have to worry about them damaging or destroying any of my gear, I don't plan on sinking much more money into this system.

When the kids are older, and I don't have to worry about them destroying the gear (and when I have more time on my hands) then I'll be looking to upgrade the sound some more. At that point I'll probably start by getting a mic and measuring the room with REW. However, I don't anticipate having any more space for my stuff, so I will probably always be using the same system for both music and HT. I will always judge the system's performance based mostly on music. My experience is that a system can do HT well won't necessarily do music very well, but a system that does music well, will also do HT well.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:49 am 

The only thing that is shared between my stereo setup and the Surround sound HT setup is the main speakers, which I switched the cables back and forth when I use one of the systems. Everything else is totally separate. One system is located at the end of the room and the other one is located at the front of the room.

Common point though- they both sound great! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:38 am 

I missed the question about why I separated the systems.

I found that the preamp section of my Pioneer was less satisfying than a dedicated integrated.

I still owned the on wall Paradigms and really found they do a great job on HT content.

I also found that the audio disease hits me more on the 2 channel side than the HT side so,having them separate allows some stability in at least one system!

To that point the NAD is gone, as are the Sttaf. Now running a Yamaha and Totem Model 1's.

The HT gear is the same.

Mark in Burlington

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:32 am 

My home theatre setup is really a 2ch / HT system.

The 2 channel vintage system in the living room consists of a Sansui AU-717, Technics SL-PS900 CD player, Dual 604 / V15 type iv turntable, Celestion Ditton 15XR speakers and an older Velodyne sub; the HT setup adds a Yamaha DSP-E492 providing the centre and surrounds amplification to some smaller Celestion Ditton 120s, and an Oppo DV-980H universal player - this is connected via line inputs into the AU-717, and thus I can keep the 2 channel system separate when I want to.
I am very happy with this set-up, for both music and movies.

My main 2 channel system is downstairs, consisting of a Musical Fidelity A3cr pre, 2 x MF A3cr power amps, an MF A3 CD player, Dual 1219 turntable, and Paradigm Studio Monitor speakers, bi-amped.
I also have a Sonic Frontiers Tube preamp, and a pair of Celestion SL-12si speakers - I will change these into the system from time to time for variety.
I am also quite happy with this setup for music.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:37 am 

Set up am using work quite well for me.
Sounds half a**ed decent so I am told by those that visit
I don't change stuff to often anymore or have many cds , no records per se.
To much money to put into styli, turntables and vinyl ..been there done it.
just a few cds for the car.
Use plain ole 12 gauge wire for speakers and nothing fancy for interconnects on rca end, thou I made them up
Room treated a bit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:12 am 

Albert wrote:
Since I don't use surround sound, the audio for my ht is a source just like for audio where my preamp connects to both. I don't see any compromise in 2 ch audio by also using it for ht. Whether I watch a BluRay movie or listen to a SACD, audio from my Oppo is handled the same way in the preamp.

Same here—I just use a two-channel set-up for TV and movies:

Sources: Oppo BD-95 (DVD-V, Blu-Ray), Esoteric K-03X (CD, SACD, TV via Toslink), Sony XDR-F1HD (tuner)
Preamp: Bryston BP-26DA
Amp/Speaker: Tannoy AMS-12A (active), MC2 Audio MC750 (for sub-woofers)
Sub-woofers: 2 x TAD TL-1601b in 170L ported cabinets