Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:08 pm 

Many audiophiles will have a separate 2 channel system and a multichannel home theatre system.

I'm finally happy with my setup which handles both duties. I thought it would be interesting for CAM members to share their dual purpose setups.

My current setup consists of:

Anthem MRX310 Multichannel Receiver: ARC room correction, signal processing, sound quality, is fantastic. The latest MRX line is very musical and the ARC implementation is apparently much better than the original MRX line. This model is perfect for my small listening room / home theatre at 60wpc all channels driven, 8 ohms.

Emotiva Mini-X-A100 (x2): These are 50wpc, 8 ohms. I use these to vertically bi-amp my main left and right speakers using the Anthem pre-outs. Some will say passive bi-amping doesn't result in any sonic improvements, but I've found it adds clarity to music tracks that are not well recorded. It also provides more amplification to the main speakers.

M2Tech HiFace DAC 384/32: This little orange USB Stick DAC from Italy is superb. Great soundstage.

Yaqin SD-CD3 Tube Buffer: I love this thing for music playback. It adds tube warmth, sweetens the midrange, great bottom end, gets ridge of digital glare. There's a lot of quality audio gear coming out of China.

Mac Mini / Drobo USB 3.0 / Audirvana: I'm a supporter of high resolution audio, and this setup works. The newest Drobo is a great unit, and I am happy having a redundant system as I've a lot of digital content, both high resolution and CD quality audio. The new Audirvana release has content management, so one can move away from iTunes to manage a large library.

Pioneer Elite BDP-23FD: nice bluray player.

Apple TV3 for streaming HD content (Netflix etc).

Toshiba 42" LCD.

JBL SVA 1600 (x2), JBL SVA Center: I acquired these speakers years ago, and am very happy with them.

Optimus Pro-X44AV (x2): inexpensive surrounds; they're good for my small room and are mounted to the wall.

Paradigm PDR100 Subwoofer (x2): I'm a believer is using two small, front firing subs vs. one large sub. I acquired these units years ago and they perform well in my setup.

Cables: I've a mix of good quality interconnects and speaker cabling.

Power conditioner: APC H15.

So there you have it. Look forward to what others have to share.

MacPro Tower Media Server
iPad Mini Controller
Audirvana Playback
APC H15 Power Conditioner

Last edited by supaDean on Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:32 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:32 pm 

I am quite happy with my 2 ch/ht setup as well. It is a mix of analog and video. Here is my system:

Sources: Oppo BDP-95 - for DVD. SACD. BluRay and streaming Netflix and Youtube
Lenco L75 (heavy plinth) with ADA MG-1 Air Bearing Linear Tracking tonearm with Denon DL-103R
Stax Quattro II CD player
Pioneer F91 tuner
Pioneer LD-S2 Laser Disc Player
Studer A807 reel to reel
Satellite Reciever

Amps: Jeff Rowland Consummate preamp with phono amp
Jeff Rowland model 5 SS amp
Ray Lumley M-100 tube mono blocks
Beard P-100 tube amp

Speaker: Acoustat 2+2
Axiom EP-500 vers.2 (for action movies)

Processors and Conditoners: Consonance d-Linear 15 Power Conditioner
DVDO iScan VP-50pro
Darbee Darblet

Cables: Tetra Artet, Audience Au24e, Black Cat LectraLine Xe

Displays and Projector: Samsung 60" 5500 Plasma TV
Mitsubishi HC-5 projector
Elunevision Reference 4K 106" motorized screen

My ht has black out curtains on the side walls. I only use front speakers and sometimes a sub for movies as I have found that I don't really miss the rear surround channels.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:38 pm 

I also have a bedroom ht/2 ch set-up (why not) that consists of:

Source: modded Thorens TD-146 turntable with Ortofon OM-10 cartridge
Faroudja DV-1000 DVD player
Luxman T-210L tuner
Pioneer CLD-97 Laser Disc Player
Akai GX-630D reel to reel

Amps: Threshold T3 preamp
Bedini BA-803 ss amp
ARC PH3 phono amp

Speakers: Tetra 406
M&K MX-70 subwoofer

Display: Mitsubishi HC-5 projector
Elunevision Titan 92" motorized screen

People have laughed at me for having a projector and screen in my bedroom but I find it very relaxing to lie in bed watching a movie or concert. Don't knock it till you've tried it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:05 pm 

I too am very pleased with the way my whole home set-up works although I am looking to try out tubes in my main system.
currently my set up includes:
Well placed MacBook Pro as the main source/control point
the main 2ch is in the same room at the back of the house where I can listen while on the computer or working in the kitchen without disturbing my wife in the living room. This system consists of:
Peachtree pre/dac and the Peachtree 220 amp
Audio Physics Yara 2 classic speakers
sonos connect

living room on the same floor consists of:
65" Panny plasma
Boston Acoustics TeeVee sound bar and wireless sub for everyday tv
Apple TV is the main movie and audio source
sonos connect amp for internet radio
PS Audio DL111 dac
Arcam Solo Mini
totem sttaf's
I have a Panny Blurry connected as well but seldom use it.
for movie watching I can engage the 2ch along with the TeeVee set-up.

my backyard -soon to be basement for the winter- is serviced with an Airport Express into a Pro-ject dac and a Sonos connect amp
Bose outdoor speakers.

the part of this set up that is most pleasing is that I run all 3 systems simultaneously either through Airplay for library or Sonos for internet radio for a whole home sound. I rarely take the time to sit for any dedicated listening so this set up works great for me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:15 am 

My flat screen has a $300 5 spk setup with small Yamaha HT receiver ... Does it get any better? LOL

Main system also stable for years with mo planned changes - Tannoy Arden - Blue Circle BC 8 mk 2 momo-blocks - Etc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:53 am 

My home theatre consists of Bryston 9Bst amp/SP1 processor. M&K S150 THx speaker package M&K 350 sub. 103" Stewart Greyhawk THX screen Oppo 95 DVD player,also Apple TV . Panamax 5000 line conditioner with a panasonic AE 8000 projector I am very happy with my system . My 2 channel system is at my cottage Elac speakers Rega Brio R amp, Mass fidelity Relay and Marantz Cd player and Atlas connectors .

-- 30 Oct 2014 13:03 --

My home theatre consists of Bryston 9Bst amp/SP1 processor. M&K S150 THx speaker package M&K 350 sub. 103" Stewart Greyhawk THX screen Oppo 95 DVD player,also Apple TV . Panamax 5000 line conditioner with a panasonic AE 8000 projector I am very happy with my system . My 2 channel system is at my cottage Elac speakers Rega Brio R amp, Mass fidelity Relay and Marantz Cd player and Atlas connectors .

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:01 am 

My apologies if I get away from the OP's subject but I have a (nice to me) 2ch system and a reasonable HT. Both of which are in the same room (luckily it works for both HT and great listening room). Is there any reasons to keep the systems independent of each other? I'm not even sure why I haven't blended them yet - just felt "impure", if that makes any sense.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:11 am 

Since I don't use surround sound, the audio for my ht is a source just like for audio where my preamp connects to both. I don't see any compromise in 2 ch audio by also using it for ht. Whether I watch a BluRay movie or listen to a SACD, audio from my Oppo is handled the same way in the preamp.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:52 am 

jetdriver wrote:

-- 30 Oct 2014 13:03 --

Nice, I have used a 9BSST and SP2 set up with dual 18" subs with the SMS-1 to flatten out the FR in a dedicated room for 10+ years.. I have yet to hear anything remotely close for the money..especially using the 5.1 channel output from an OPPO-95 that outputs hi-res formats.

I like the M&K design as they are made for home theatre narrow dispersion...great for dedicated rooms...currently I use Energy Veritas 2.2's front with 2.0 centre and 2.0 rears..they like power.

My 2 channel set up is in the living room upstairs which is more open...I find this a better place to have vinyl or digital with drinks with friends and family...the theatre is for movies and TV shows.

Home theatre equipment seems to be getting extremely cheap quality IMO receivers do no last or stay relevant for more than a couple years these days, which is why I use the above set up...The MRX receivers are the nice but no analogue input stops me from considering one.

I don't want to get on the upgrade treadmill for home theatre....3D really? Now 4k but you cannot get content...ATMOS is a joke...reminds me of 7.1 how it never REALLY caught on...5.1 done right sounds amazing..and is all that is needed for most movies...if not all.

Lastly, all the home theatre equipment in the same space as a 2 channel audio is a distraction too...and diffraction off the TV and other speakers...not great for sound staging.

All just MY opinion of course..if you can get it all in one room and be happy then great! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:07 am 

I went the other path a very nice HT/Music setup 5.0 using a NAD T775 7.2 receiver (upgraded modules) running as a 5.0 to bi-amp the main L/R channels (Monitor Audio GX300 5.0 system). I have a treated room (physically) and a 60" panny plasma. I enjoy listening to all kinds of music in 2 channel and have a lovely surround collection. Listening to concerts properly engineered with Audyssey MultEQ XT engaged is sublime.

prism

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:22 am 

prism wrote:
I went the other path a very nice HT/Music setup 5.0 using a NAD T775 7.2 receiver (upgraded modules) running as a 5.0 to bi-amp the main L/R channels (Monitor Audio GX300 5.0 system). I have a treated room (physically) and a 60" panny plasma. I enjoy listening to all kinds of music in 2 channel and have a lovely surround collection. Listening to concerts properly engineered with Audyssey MultEQ XT engaged is sublime.

prism

Very nice Prism...not your typical receiver though...excellent speaker terminals too...and PS looks beefy.

I could see being happy with this :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:19 am 

2 channel upstairs

downstairs 7.1 and a 5.1 two rooms

Have not used the ht for more than a year

denon 3805 and denon 2801

Panasonic bd-80 and dvd s77

Using all CV 15 and 12 inch plus down fire subs center is 6 inch for both systems

Both tv`s are 50 and 55 inch sony`s

all equipment is 5 to 14 years old

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:56 am 

My system is now primarily a home theatre system that I use to listen to music occasionally.

consists of;

Lexicon RV-8 receiver, which replaced a Bryston 9Bst, EAD Theatremaster Ovation-8 combination with absolutely no loss of sound quality, that I can hear, in either two channel or multi-channel. This beast which retailed for North of 10g's when current, has often been referred to as the best sounding home theatre receiver ever made and it's not hard to see why. It is literally a lexicon MC-8 pre/pro and a Lexicon 7 channel power amp in one single chassis. The best part is that I bought this receiver used on CAM for a third of what I sold my separates for.

Oppo BDP-105 multi-format disc player, purchased new from Solutions A/V back in February of this year from the profits of my separates sale. Nothing else needed to be said here.

Mirage OM-8 mains, OM-C2 center, and OM-R2 rears all bought new almost fifteen years ago, still sounding fantastic after all these years.

Definitive Technology Supercube II powered subwoofer, Amazing low, high output tuneful bass from a ridiculously small footprint. every connection and adjustment option you could ever want from a sub. Only complaint, comes with a captured power cord.

PS Audio Dectet power center.

Various cables from Harmonic Technology, Shunyata Research, and Silnote to round out the package.

Does it sound as good in two channel as some of the high end dedicated systems I used to own in the past. Nope, not even close really, but still surprisingly good, even in two channel, for the amount spent and the age of some of the components. Right now I have other priorities than ultimate sound quality. In the future I will definitely re-enter the high-end two channel ring again. I may even get back into vinyl.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:12 am 

I find you have to make a lot less compromises if you have 2 separate systems, that being said if your HT setup can also do music fairly well then all the better.

Basement HT (primary):

Denon 3808ci
Xbox One (bluray)
PS3 (backup bluray)
Cable box
Boxee box (downloaded files)
Netgear ReadyNAS (to store/serve downloaded files)
Apple Airport Express
Samsung 60inch plasma

B&W 603 S3
B&W LCR 600 S3
SVS PB12 NSD
Paradigm Cinema ADP (weakest link by far)

Really pleased with how everything comes together except for the rear speakers, really need to upgrade these but what I have now works so I get lazy. This setup will definitely shake the house down when cranked. Sub is obviously ill suited for any music other than rap/electronic.

I'm also rocking a fairly barebones 2.0HT in the living room due to WAF:
50inch Panny LED
Emotiva UMC1
WD LiveTV
PVR
Airport Express
Paradigm Shift A2 (self powered)

This is actually overkill for what we use this TV for, mostly just the wife watching Netflix.

Main 2 channel is in the dining room/library:
NAD C320BEE
NAD C521BEE
Paradigm Studio 20 V5
Airport Express

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:29 pm 

On the whole, I am happy with my HT/ 2 channel system. Why? Because I have put together a balanced and musical system. I have sweated the details, made careful systematic observations, I have made big changes rather than small lateral ones, I have taken time to compare components, I have had audiophile buddies "lead me their ears', I have listened to people I trust, and I have done my research. My most important comment is that reviews are ONLY A GUIDE... my ears are the ones that have to be happy, not some reviewer's. In terms of comments on the internet...I avoid them. Most people lack knowledge and let their personal bias control them.

Does this take time? Most certainly. But the results are better in the long run. People who have taken my advice are also happier in the long run. Yes, there is always a shiny new toy...mmm SHINY :lol: but you have to resist that temptation. Instead, careful setup, clean power, good connections, & good room acoustics make the most of your system, whatever it is.