Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:37 pm 

So I've now moved from my dedicated listening room in the basement of my old Markham bungalow, to the open concept living, dining, kitchen of my new Collingwood condo.

I went from a 13x15 room, carpeted, acoustic ceiling and assorted acoustic panels on the walls to a 16x 25+ room with 12'+ ceiling, ceiling to floor glass on 2 sides, hardwood floors. The thing is an echo chamber. When watching TV I have a hard time making out what they are saying. The music, well forget about the music.

It will be another month before the sofa and ottoman arrive - in the meantime I am enjoying the lawn furniture for seating.
I'm hoping when the stuffed furniture arrives and perhaps with an area rug things will improve.

Just venting... :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:03 pm 

Hi meiwan. I was going to ask how you liked your new town, but your predicament with sound really sucks.
Just remember things usually work out in the long run.
I just picked up a new pair of Grado RS1e's and they sound really nice. Maybe a good pair of cans for the meantime?

Stay positive my friend.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:38 pm 

The reality is that if you live in Markham you need a good listening room to forget that you live in one of the ugliest ghost town in Canada...while in Collingwood, you need to enjoy the outdoors and never think about locking yourself inside 4 walls. Ipod + Oppo headphone + bike/skis/boat is what it is all about :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:28 pm 

I hear you on that note..
I moved my gear from the basement all carpeted, to upstairs hardwood and glass on one side it's a echo chamber like you said.
I've since bought some room treatments and at the moment experimenting with a few different area carpets on the hardwood...seems to tame that echo quite a bit.
Much happier now

meiwan wrote:
So I've now moved from my dedicated listening room in the basement of my old Markham bungalow, to the open concept living, dining, kitchen of my new Collingwood condo.

I went from a 13x15 room, carpeted, acoustic ceiling and assorted acoustic panels on the walls to a 16x 25+ room with 12'+ ceiling, ceiling to floor glass on 2 sides, hardwood floors. The thing is an echo chamber. When watching TV I have a hard time making out what they are saying. The music, well forget about the music.

It will be another month before the sofa and ottoman arrive - in the meantime I am enjoying the lawn furniture for seating.
I'm hoping when the stuffed furniture arrives and perhaps with an area rug things will improve.

Just venting... :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:48 pm 

I feel your pain.

I had consistently the best sound in my entire career as an audiophool in a room nearly identical to what you described: 13' x 15', carpeted, single window 3/4 covered by drapes, 8-ft. acoustic tile ceiling and crappy wood paneling. Stand-mounted monitors 34" to 36" from the long (back) wall in a semi-nearfield setup. Didn't matter what kind of gear I was using; the results were always stellar.

The house itself had seen better days but that room was audio nirvana. Wish I still lived there.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:03 pm 

Well I must say the new place (the condo and Collingwood) are really nice. A nice step up in lifestyle from Markham at half the price.

I knew the room would be a problem and I know it will be better when the soft stuff arrives in a month or so. Things are never perfect but going in the right direction. :)

Still, having the tunes sounding good is important to me, and patience it not my strong suit. Hence the complaining. :(

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:20 am 

Yes had that happen to me once years ago,Its funny how some rooms are like that that just good from the get go.
I had a room like that once
Then you move by force and poof its gone :? :(

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:44 am 

Audiofils wrote:
The reality is that if you live in Markham you need a good listening room to forget that you live in one of the ugliest ghost town in Canada..

Hmm I take a little bit of offense with this... what's wrong with Markham (oh maybe I'm one of it :-) )

Kidding aside, OP congrats on the move, nice area. Any chance for a dedicated small room for music only? 12ft glass wall both sides, wow. Area rug, treatment on first reflection points... I'm sure a lot can be done.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:08 am 

Sorry your new room is the way it is,dementions are fine but the glass on both sides floor to ceiling means no listening room unless all glass is removed.Puffy furniture won't do anything to improve acoustics,beaming and flutter echo,standing waves etc.etc.will make room unlistenable,sorry.